IGNORED

Who would have thunk it. Peter was broke!

ejected

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

6 hours ago, UnprofitableServantJames said:

I am not to convinced that only the church in Jerusalem did this, since this is the same pattern that Jesus set up for His followers (Luke 14:33) (Luke 8:1).

I don't think we need to save or store things in order for us to survive. Jesus actually gives a parable telling people NOT to do this, and He says if we "seek first the Kingdom of God and all His Righteousness, then all the basic necessities in life will be provided for". In this same passage Jesus says that we shouldn't store any treasures on Earth, rather we should store our treasures in heaven. If we have faith in God, then He will provide for us, AS long as we seek His Kingdom FIRST.

The issue with what is happening with communism is how they aren't motivated by love, un-like Jesus and the first century Christians were. People today are motivated by greed, so no matter the political view, these same issues will arise until we weed out the 'root of ALL evil..." Money.

In peace

Unfortunately you have misquoted an oft misquoted verse.   

1Ti 6:6  But godliness with contentment is great gain,  1Ti 6:7  for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.

1Ti 6:8  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

1Ti 6:9  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

1Ti 6:10  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Col 3:5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

The love of money is akin to coveting.  It is a heart problem.  The answer is thankfulness.  When we acknowledge God as the source of all we have, that He has provided for us and we are grateful, we become contented.  Our true wealth is the spiritual provisions IN CHRIST listed in Ephesians 1. 

Getting rid of money would accomplish nothing.  It is like trying to prevent murder by getting rid of guns.  If they don't have guns they will use a knife or poison or some other means.  It is a heart problem.

• Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

My point. The man made tradition of tithing is just  that. Made made.

could put you under a curse' see: Galatians 3:10. 

Be free of the cherished traditions of men. Help the poor in your group. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 12/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, ejected said:

Acts 3:1 ..........silver and gold have we none......

How can that possibly be with all the thousands of folks getting saved and paying tithes?

In the early church, the money from Tithes and offerings was being spent on widows and orphans, not church leaders. There is also a passage where wealthy christians were selling their property and giving to the poor.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

5 hours ago, ejected said:

“But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. Luke 11:42 NKJV

Notice that Jesus said ... you should what ... tithe ... without leaving out the justice and the love of God.  If Jesus talked if it... it certainly is not man made.  :)

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, ejected said:

The system of tithing was set up by God in the Old Testament.It was not “ man- made” at all.I believe it was like a tax in order to provide for those in the Priesthood who did not work normal jobs to earn pay.God deemed it important enough to consider it “ robbing God” if you did not pay it.Those that did pay it and the entire Nation Of Israel stood to be blessed if they did pay it. “ Prove me now and see if I don’t pour out my blessings”, God said,concerning the tithe.These verses from Malachi are unique in two ways—- they acknowledge and respond positively to the selfishness of man ( tithe to be rewarded with material gain- no mention of giving out of love as we do in the N T.) Secondly, it is the only part of the Bible where God dares people to let them prove he exists.( prove me now!) All doubters are free to act upon the Promise.BTW.....there were THREE tithes.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

The system of tithing was set up by God in the Old Testament.It was not “ man- made” at all.I believe it was like a tax in order to provide for those in the Priesthood who did not work normal jobs to earn pay.God deemed it important enough to consider it “ robbing God” if you did not pay it.Those that did pay it and the entire Nation Of Israel stood to be blessed if they did pay it. “ Prove me now and see if I don’t pour out my blessings”, God said,concerning the tithe.These verses from Malachi are unique in two ways—- they acknowledge and respond positively to the selfishness of man ( tithe to be rewarded with material gain- no mention of giving out of love as we do in the N T.) Secondly, it is the only part of the Bible where God dares people to let them prove he exists.( prove me now!) All doubters are free to act upon the Promise.BTW.....there were THREE tithes.

Under the law tithing was commanded. The writer of Hebrews discusses who gave and who received tithes, and points out the change of the law that occurred with the change of priesthood, from Levitical under the law to Christ after the order of Melchisedic, so it can be seen tithing is not now obligatory but also not forbidden.

Heb 7:5-12
(5)  And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
(6)  But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
(7)  And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.
(8)  And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.
(9)  And as I may so say, Levi also, who received tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
(10)  For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.
(11)  If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
(12)  For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Heb 7:17-19
(17)  For he testified, You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
(18)  For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
(19)  For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

4 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Under the law tithing was commanded. The writer of Hebrews discusses who gave and who received tithes, and points out the change of the law that occurred with the change of priesthood, from Levitical under the law to Christ after the order of Melchisedic, so it can be seen tithing is not now obligatory but also not forbidden.

Heb 7:5-12
(5)  And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
(6)  But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
(7)  And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.
(8)  And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.
(9)  And as I may so say, Levi also, who received tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
(10)  For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.
(11)  If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
(12)  For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Heb 7:17-19
(17)  For he testified, You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
(18)  For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
(19)  For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Today, on my way to church, the voice of God spoke to me and told me that I do not need to pay tithe. He said that because I am a minister (spend most of my time trying to convince unbelievers to believe in God,) that I should receive Tithe, instead of paying tithe. But I have no congregation. I insist on keeping a secular employment so that nobody can accuse me of abusing my office and gifts, which is why the few times I have ever preached in person, I did not receive any tithes and offerings. In fact I've only ever received less than 10 dollars total in tithes and offerings.

However, I know that it's not really possible to produce christian television programs and christian radio stations and forums without some form of tithing and offerings, I get that, but when people abuse their office that is one of my worst pet peeves.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 minutes ago, Wade8888 said:

Today, on my way to church, the voice of God spoke to me and told me that I do not need to pay tithe. He said that because I am a minister (spend most of my time trying to convince unbelievers to believe in God,) that I should receive Tithe, instead of paying tithe. But I have no congregation. I insist on keeping a secular employment so that nobody can accuse me of abusing my office and gifts, which is why the few times I have ever preached in person, I did not receive any tithes and offerings. In fact I've only ever received less than 10 dollars total in tithes and offerings.

However, I know that it's not really possible to produce christian television programs and christian radio stations and forums without some form of tithing and offerings, I get that, but when people abuse their office that is one of my worst pet peeves.

I have been both paid preacher and treasurer for a local denominational congregation and it was written into their constitution that if anyone apart from the incumbent on a stipend delivered the main message in a service they were to be paid an honorarium. All sorts of other sundry items were funded for anyone with a legitimate claim, from Sunday School supplies to lunch at MacDonalds with the District Superintendent, but income was never listed as tithes as that literally means "one tenth", and who knows what fraction of peoples' incomes is being credited to the communal bank account.

This site has an interesting article about the Old Testament requirements of tithing.

THE THREE TITHES OF THE OLD TESTAMENT

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Wade8888 said:

Believers are told to share materially with those that bring them the Gospel.God already knew that some preachers would be accused of being crooks.That fact did not seem to bother the God that gave the order .A Gospel preacher who has a message that is changing hearts and getting people saved should not waste his time with any job that interferes with the most valuable job of all- getting souls saved.How can the “ cheerful givers” that God is looking for build up Heavenly rewards if they are forbidden to give money to those that blessed them with the Gospel— a message that if implanted into ones soul has blessed their earthly life and showed them how to gain Eternal Life and avoid Hell.God’s ways are always best. It may appear lofty to refuse  to take money that God has entitled one to receive and yes, it will derail any criticism of being a crook, but it ain’t the way God wanted it.Nobody loves or respects Paul more than I do, but he would have accomplished more doing things God’s way as opposed to spending time making tents.God always knows best.Please note,I am not trying to diminish Paul, I am just trying to uplift God who does not to be “ one-upped”. We must strive to do “ exactly” what he tells us to —- for the benefit of all.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 1/9/2019 at 2:51 AM, Willa said:

Unfortunately you have misquoted an oft misquoted verse.   

1Ti 6:6  But godliness with contentment is great gain,  1Ti 6:7  for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.

1Ti 6:8  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

1Ti 6:9  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

1Ti 6:10  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Col 3:5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

The love of money is akin to coveting.  It is a heart problem.  The answer is thankfulness.  When we acknowledge God as the source of all we have, that He has provided for us and we are grateful, we become contented.  Our true wealth is the spiritual provisions IN CHRIST listed in Ephesians 1. 

Getting rid of money would accomplish nothing.  It is like trying to prevent murder by getting rid of guns.  If they don't have guns they will use a knife or poison or some other means.  It is a heart problem.

I can accept that how people use money is an heart issue. What I find amazing, however, is how adding the word 'love' somehow softens the severity of Paul's warning against it. This seems to justify money and the greed that money represents.

In peace