• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

25 minutes ago, john1 said:

Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, now we need to show mercy.

We will if we are abiding in Christ, having drawn near to Him with true hearts in full assurance of faith, not wavering. But our acts of mercy cannot add anything to Christ's sufficient sacrifice on the Cross to pay the penalty for our sin, in earnest I hope you will agree, john1.

If Christ's sacrifice wasn't sufficient to pay the penalty for our sin He wouldn't be sitting at the right hand of God.

Heb 10:12-18
(12)  But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
(13)  From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
(14)  For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
(15)  Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
(16)  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
(17)  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
(18)  Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

• Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

35 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

If Christ's sacrifice wasn't sufficient to pay the penalty for our sin He wouldn't be sitting at the right hand of God.

I didn't say it wasn't enough for everyone's sins, but we still need to show mercy, if we don't what is the difference between us and the people who have never read any of the bible, and do anything the want, Jesus still died for their sins to.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

We do see a different approach by Peter and Paul. But we see the NT has one savior, with different authors writing about different things to different audiences. Peter addresses a worldview common to 2nd Temple Judaism; a significantly different worldview than the pagan cultures Paul is addressing.

Secondly, as two speakers asked to speak on the meaning of the cross might produce different messages due to the multifaceted nature of the cross, so too we see Hebrews (speaking to a Jewish audience) produces a different teaching about Christ's supremacy over angel, and The Law, than Peter's message (also to a Jewish audience) about the gospel of the kingdom of God. 

Just as authors talking about Ronald Reagan's Presidency might highlight his battle with Communism and his attempt to bring down the iron curtain. Other authors might discuss Reagan's supply-side economics, still others might highlight why Reagan left the Democratic Party, still other authors might focus on Reagan's involvement in the Iran Contra scandal. One person, many perspectives. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

17 hours ago, john1 said:

I didn't say it wasn't enough for everyone's sins, but we still need to show mercy, if we don't what is the difference between us and the people who have never read any of the bible, and do anything the want, Jesus still died for their sins to.

I'm interested, john1.  Why did you choose only mercy that we have to embrace to be saved?

Why not love or patience or sacrificial giving or a host of other things?

You are right, Christ died for all.  But all will not be saved.  What's the difference between the saved and the unsaved?  The saved have the Holy Spirit abiding in them and will [should] display all of these things.

But these works, these deeds, do not save you from your sins.  They are evidence that you are saved.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

these deeds, do not save you from your sins.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Jesus was a sacrifice for everyone's sins, but Jesus himself said I desire mercy not sacrifice,  that's is in the new testament as well as the old.

Jesus came to testify to the truth not just to die, he said everyone on the side of truth listens to him.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

1 hour ago, john1 said:

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Jesus was a sacrifice for everyone's sins, but Jesus himself said I desire mercy not sacrifice,  that's is in the new testament as well as the old.

Jesus came to testify to the truth not just to die, he said everyone on the side of truth listens to him.

If you will read the context of 1 Peter 4:8, which is 1 Peter 4:1-11, you will see that Peter is talking to Christians - people who already ARE saved - in how to live their lives for God.

"Love covers a multitude of sins".  Yes.  Covers how?  As in saving your from you own sins?  Your own love of other people saves you from sin?  NO.

Loving other people will keep you from grumbling, as Peter says, and taking offense at every little thing.  King Solomon said in Proverbs that it is to a man's glory to overlook an offense.

This is not talking about loving other people so that you will get saved.

It's talking about loving other people so that you will not be bitter towards them, grumble and take offense.

This is about what to do after you are saved.

Edited by Jayne
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, douge said:

There is a difference in the gospels preached by Peter and Paul.

It is evident by the preaching of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Below, Peter was speaking;

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

According to Peter, Christ was raised to sit on the throne of David in the coming earthly kingdom.

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

According to Paul's gospel above, Christ died for our sins; as our substitute; to satisfy and appease the wrath, justice, and righteousness of God.

The cross of Jesus Christ provided our atonement.

He was buried.

He rose again for our justification.

This is the gospel we are to believe and trust alone for our salvation and eternal life.

Hi douge,

There is only one way to salvation through Christ, whether people understood fully or not. Now what you are trying to explain is that Christ gave Peter and the other disciples the command to go and preach Him as Lord and Saviour. This we do also. They then had the understanding of Israel`s inheritance and we know that too.

However when the Lord ascended to the Father`s right hand and sent His Holy Spirit to guide us into ALL the truth of Himself, His character and His purposes, we read that the Lord, by the Holy Spirit opened up to the Apostle Paul more revelation of His purposes - the Body of Christ. This is the further revelation.

Not that there are two gospels, good news, but that there is further revelation revealed to the ascension apostles concerning Christ`s purpose for the Body of Christ.

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, pinacled said:

Mercy, lovingkindness.

Aren't those fruits of the spirit.

Not everyone who has faith does these things. Some are concerned about investments and are selfish, and only do things for themselves and their loved ones.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

We do not HAVE to show mercy.If you have been “ born again” and have the Holy Spirit in you, you WILL show mercy.If one sees “ the Horror” of who he really is before Salvation,when you actually live out the mercy God has shown towards a wretched worm like yourself, mercy just kinda flows out of you naturally... 

“ know thyself”  this is where True Christianity begins.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

3 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

We do not HAVE to show mercy.If you have been “ born again” and have the Holy Spirit in you, you WILL show mercy.If one sees “ the Horror” of who he really is before Salvation,when you actually live out the mercy God has shown towards a wretched worm like yourself, mercy just kinda flows out of you naturally... 

“ know thyself”  this is where True Christianity begins.

Yes, we are horrible sinners who need to be saved by God in His mercy and be "born-again" of the Holy Spirit, ....... but how does the Holy Spirit of God actually helps you to actually live out the mercy God has shown you.? ... Does "born-again" = being suddenly zapped from above out of the blue by God and have instant spiritual maturity.? ... Will there be any evidence/proof to "know thyself" that thou art actually living out the mercy God hath shown ye.?