• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Uber Genius said:

We would not go to the Gospels for evidence or data on salvation because Jesus was preaching about ushering in the KOG.

Not true.

JOHN.3:14-18 (NKJV) 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

MATTHEW.5:17-20 (NKJV) Christ Fulfills the Law

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

MATTHEW.7:15-23 (NKJV) You Will Know Them by Their Fruits

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!

5 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I hope Newbies will find peace of mind, instead of letting one misunderstood verse of Hebrews guide their entire thinking.When error is you foundation, it not a surprise when all that follows is madness.

Problem is, most of AW Tozer's arguments/claims from Scripture that HEBREWS.10:26-31's "For if we sin willfully" means only the sin of unbelief or apostasy have been debunked on this thread, similar to how the false OSAS and Hyper-grace doctrines have been debunked on other threads.

So, when error is your foundation, it is not a surprise when all that follows are madness, unrepented lawlessness, iniquity, willful sins, evil-works, reviling, adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, chaos, tribulation, anguish, sickness, calamities, even death, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God(cf GALATIANS.5:19-21).

30 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Luke 22:59-62 New King James Version (NKJV)

59 Then after about an hour had passed, another confidently affirmed, saying, “Surely this fellow also was with Him, for he is a Galilean.”

60 But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are saying!”

Immediately, while he was still speaking, [a]the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” 62 So Peter went out and wept bitterly.

Peter wept bitterly. He recognized his sin, he repented of his sin, and Jesus forgave him.

John 21:17 New King James Version (NKJV)

17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of [a]Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”

And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”

Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.

I read this as a deliberate cancelling out of the three times Peter denied Him. There is no suggestion of Peter having lost his salvation, just the recognition that we saved humans are weak and sinful and need to repent.

MATTHEW.10:32-33 (NKJV) = 32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

JOHN.20:1-10 The Empty Tomb

20 Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.”

3 Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb. 4 So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first. 5 And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. 9 For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. 10 Then the disciples went away again to their own homes.

LUKE.24:8-12 = 8 And they remembered His words. 9 Then they returned from the tomb and told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest. 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them, who told these things to the apostles. 11 And their words seemed to them like idle tales, and they did not believe them. 12 But Peter arose and ran to the tomb; and stooping down, he saw the linen cloths lying by themselves; and he departed, marveling to himself at what had happened.

MARK.16: Mary Magdalene Sees the Risen Lord

9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. 10 She went and told those who had been with Him, as they mourned and wept. 11 And when they heard that He was alive and had been seen by her, they did not believe.

Jesus Appears to Two Disciples

12 After that, He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country. 13 And they went and told it to the rest, but they did not believe them either.

MATTHEW.28: = 5 But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, discipler777 said:

No. Peter, Thomas and the other 9 Apostles would also have been lost to perdition if the resurrected Christ did not appear to them and Personally call them back into the faith or belief. Similarly for Saul of Tarsus or later Apostle Paul. Repentance only came into the picture after the Personal intervention of the Lord/God Jesus Christ. This only happened to the Apostles because they were special, ie "No one could pluck them out of God's hands" or "None were lost except the son of perdition". This did not and does not or may not happen to every Tom, Dik, Harry and ordinary Christians who may also deny the faith or depart from the faith or lost faith or etc.

God could also have intervened Personally and saved Judas Iscariot from hell/perdition but that was not His will because of Judas's willful sins of betrayal of Christ and unbelief. Judas likely fell into the Pharisees' camp in wanting a Christ/Messiah who would defeat the foreign Roman rulers and gift the Jews back their kingdom of earth, ie Judah/Israel(JOHN.6:15).

We are in agreement. It is why I say we don't choose him. He chooses us. And the reference to Pharaoh in Romans nine touches on this. Also, Matthew 11:21 comes to mind in the context of his choosing us:

“Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had happened in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. "

And then add to that, 1 Timothy 2:3-4: This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 

So, in 1 Timothy we have God desiring that all men are saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, yet in Matthew 11:21 he says that if he had done in Tyre and Sidon what was done in Behsaida, they WOULD have repented. If his desire is that all are saved, why didn't he do those miracles in Tyre and Sidon?

I'm not judging God. Rather, I'm trying to come to an understanding of what all those scriptures actually mean. So far the only solution my meager human mind can come up with (until God gives me a divine revelation) is that there is some "future age" where they are all saved, since that is, in fact, his desire. And this ties into the concept the we don't choose him, but he chooses us. 

In my mind, it's a mess in so far as I don't think anyone has it right yet. It is a huge mystery.

8 hours ago, discipler777 said:

1JOHN.3: (NKJV) = 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. ...

13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love [c]his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

This is evidence/proof that there are misguided Christians who never stop sinning willfully and unrepentantly or who willingly submit to their carnal nature and do the works of the flesh, and falsely or self-deceivingly believe that they will still be "always saved once saved"(cf GALATIANS.5:19-21). .......

ROMANS.6:1-4 = 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

1CORINTHIANS.5:1-2 Immorality Defiles the Church

5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you.

You are posting a lot of scripture out of context, discipler, and here is my problem with these sorts of posts: The main thing they demonstrate is that taken out of context, the bible appears to be hopelessly contradictory. I can show you scriptures that say all men are saved (to the casual reader). I can show you others that say that works don't save, and others that say that works DO save - to the casual reader. 

The important thing to think about is that not a single word of scripture was written to you or me. Not one. Rather, they were written to the men to whom they were addressed at the time. However, it is all there FOR us to learn from. None of einstein's notes were written to anyone alive today, but they are highly valuable to us. 

This is why so much of scripture, from a 21st century viewpoint, is so cryptic. There are so many figures of speech, so many times the author is responding to things unsaid, yet everyone living at the time knew exactly what the author was talking about. It's why it takes several lifetimes to fully understand scripture. And since nobody lives several lifetimes, nobody fully understands it. Nobody. So we muddle through, prayerfully, knowing that now we see as through a glass darkly, but then, face to face. 

However, there are some things we CAN know. e.g. He chooses us. He is merciful. None of us deserve eternal life nor will ever deserve it, Jesus and God are one. Jesus died as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all men. Etc. 

The rest of it is a constant path of discovery. And one thing I've learned since first accepting his free gift is that one of the wisest things I've ever read was this: "We don't know what we don't know." We are like my dog trying to figure out why, five out of every seven days, I leave for about 9 hours and then come back. To him it makes no sense and there is no way I could explain it to him to where he would understand. This is what a lot of our searching is like. Not all of it. Pursuing righteousness and a better understanding of our creator is always a good thing. But constant arguments about the end times prophesy, the amount of time God took to create our earth, etc. is an exercise in futility and totally irrelevant to salvation and his message.

And here's an exciting secret: When we prayerfully read His words and put our life in his hands, an interesting things happens. We begin to "know him" better and better. This, oddly, remarkably aids in understanding the words in the bible. When you know someone, you know what comments and claims about them are true, which ones are not, and how to understand "figures of speech" used to describe them. 

But I go forward always reminding myself that I don't know what I don't know.

1 hour ago, maryjayne said:

Not believing that Jesus has risen from the dead is not the same as not believing in Jesus.

Doubt, as with Thomas, is not the same as turning away.

Jesus knew the personalities of his disciples. He knew how they reacted to things. 

If what you have written is true @discipler777 then we lose our salvation every time we doubt God, stumble in our faith, lose our way temporarily.

HEBREWS.11:1-6 (NKJV) 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.

3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

Faith at the Dawn of History

4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.

5 By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken him”; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please Himfor he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Yes, you will lose your salvation when you doubt God or stumble in your faith. Whether you do it every time or hundred times or one time, it's up to you. Doesn't Scripture say that salvation is solely by faith.?

59 minutes ago, Still Alive said:
9 hours ago, discipler777 said:

1JOHN.3: (NKJV) = 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. ...

13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love [c]his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

This is evidence/proof that there are misguided Christians who never stop sinning willfully and unrepentantly or who willingly submit to their carnal nature and do the works of the flesh, and falsely or self-deceivingly believe that they will still be "always saved once saved"(cf GALATIANS.5:19-21). .......

ROMANS.6:1-4 = 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

1CORINTHIANS.5:1-2 Immorality Defiles the Church

5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:00 AM, Still Alive said:

Today I am forgiven. Today I am saved. Today I need the blood of Christ. And I can go forward with confidence knowing I am his and that though everything is permissible, not everything is profitable. Sure, I disobey "dad" from time to time, and it pains me that I do. I completely sympathize with Paul when he said he does the things he does not want to, and doesn't do the things he should. And like him, I am very thankful that Jesus saved me from this wretched body in which I was placed - by him.

The important thing to think about is that not a single word of scripture was written to you or me. Not one. Rather, they were written to the men to whom they were addressed at the time. However, it is all there FOR us to learn from. None of einstein's notes were written to anyone alive today, but they are highly valuable to us. 

JOHN.20:26-31 (NKJV) 26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

That You May Believe

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Edited by discipler777

2 minutes ago, discipler777 said:

JOHN.20:26-31 (NKJV) 26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

That You May Believe

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Exactly! (and thanks for keeping it short. I actually read it.)

Edited by Still Alive

10 minutes ago, Still Alive said:
12 minutes ago, discipler777 said:

That You May Believe

The important thing to think about is that not a single word of scripture was written to you or me. Not one. Rather, they were written to the men to whom they were addressed at the time. However, it is all there FOR us to learn from.

Exactly! (and thanks for keeping it short. I actually read it.)

Not exactly.! ....... The above Scripture says that the Apostle John wrote his gospel to you, me and everybody who may read it, so that you, me and everybody may believe that .......

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

8 hours ago, discipler777 said:

Not true.

JOHN.3:14-18 (NKJV) 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

MATTHEW.5:17-20 (NKJV) Christ Fulfills the Law

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

MATTHEW.7:15-23 (NKJV) You Will Know Them by Their Fruits

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!

Have it your way! The demons believe in God and they shutter according to James.

Do we want to qualify belief? 

So Jesus also ate with sinners even whores (I believe is how your people put it).

Luke 7:36-50 records Jesus rebuking the Pharisees because they judged a prostitute.

You need to explain why Jesus treated the outcasts from your list above with great love and mercy and treated the Pharisees (those religiously arrogant self-important people who judge people by their appearance) as outcasts. 

So it seems that you may have more to fear than the whores and drug-addicts you inveigh against.

Further you keep on ignoring the data of Acts and the Epistles where we have a clearer description of salvation and assurance

of salvation than the gospels. Deleting data from God's word can’t be a good thing.