• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

The demons believe in God and they shutter according to James.

Well, the Jews and Muslims also believe in God. Christians are "slightly" different in their beliefs.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, discipler777 said:

Not exactly.! ....... The above Scripture says that the Apostle John wrote his gospel to you, me and everybody who may read it, so that you, me and everybody may believe that .......

I guess it depends on the meaning of the word "you" in the context and who the audience was. 

If a wise man writes a long letter to his son that is stuffed with wisdom and constantly says "you can learn from this", he is addressing his son. When his son publishes that letter as "wisdom" and sells it far and wide, all who read it can gain wisdom from the letter, and even interpret it as useful for any who read it. In fact, it was published "for" us - those who read it.

But it was written TO his son. It's really that simple. It was written to those alive at the time, and in a language and form that they would understand, but it is there for all of us to read and interpret the best we can. And when done prayerfully, it's pretty effective. In fact, it is "useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness".

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

27 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Yet how did Peter and Paul and Barnabas preach in Acts?

By referring to evidence which there audience “knew.”

By arguing that evidence just as Jesus taught them to after his resurrection.

Acts 13-19 we

see Paul’s method of getting people to believe was to engage in evidence supporting premises which in trim supported arguments.

No “Just believe,” in Acts.

If we only had the book of John you might be able to make your case. But we have Acts, Gal., Rom., Eph.

Those are in your canon aren’t they?

Edited by Uber Genius

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

42 minutes ago, discipler777 said:

Yes, you will lose your salvation when you doubt God or stumble in your faith. Whether you do it every time or hundred times or one time, it's up to you. Doesn't Scripture say that salvation is solely by faith.?

I remember reading a story by the famous evangelist D.L. Moody when someone came up to him and said, Since the day I've been saved, I've never doubted my salvation.  And D.L. Moody responded, "Ma'am I doubt you're saved."  Why did he say that?  

You see the Lord says to take up your shield of faith!  So when you take up the shield of faith -- it's to counter the flaming darts of the wicked one -- the opposite of faith -- is doubt!  The fiery darts of the evil one -- is doubt!  If you didn't doubt at times -- then you're not seriously being attacked! 

This is why we stay in the Word -- for "faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God!"  And your SHIELD becomes greater and stronger as you deal with the enemy's attacks because you've been seasoned in your faith!

12 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

Yet how did Peter and Paul and Barnabas preach in Acts?

By referring to evidence which there audience “knew.”

By arguing that evidence just as Jesus taught them to after his resurrection.

Acts 13-19 we

see Paul’s method of getting people to believe was to engage in evidence supporting premises which in trim supported arguments.

No “Just believe,” in Acts.

If we only had the book of John you might be able to make your case. But we have Acts, Gal., Rom., Eph.

Those are in your canon aren’t they?

You connected that to me. I think you meant to connect it to Discipler777. 

And I completely agree with you. In fact, I use the book of Acts a lot when asking myself, "As Christians, how should we be spreading the gospel, doing church, etc."

Edit: I see that line was in his post that I said I agreed with. Well, I was agreeing with a general point he made using all that scripture, in context of my point he was responding to. Regarding that line, I suppose that since they were Jesus' own words, it would be hard to disagree with it. ;)  But then the question is, what exactly does one mean when they say they agree with it. 

And to that end, I've said for decades that Christianity is about faith, but not BLIND faith. Blind faith is just stupidity revealed.

Edited by Still Alive

I don't think most Christians go around doubting the Lord.  They may doubt whether he hears them pray or their own condition, but not the Lord himself.

14 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

You connected that to me. I think you meant to connect it to Discipler777. 

And I completely agree with you. In fact, I use the book of Acts a lot when asking myself, "As Christians, how should we be spreading the gospel, doing church, etc."

Edit: I see that line was in his post that I said I agreed with. Well, I was agreeing with a general point he made using all that scripture, in context of my point he was responding to. Regarding that line, I suppose that since they were Jesus' own words, it would be hard to disagree with it. ;)  But then the question is, what exactly does one mean when they say they agree with it. 

And to that end, I've said for decades that Christianity is about faith, but not BLIND faith. Blind faith is just stupidity revealed.

Sorry working off my cell phone rather than tablet and the interface is cutoff sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

Sorry working off my cell phone rather than tablet and the interface is cutoff sometimes.

Heh. I rarely use my cell phone for this. It's just too difficult. On a related note, I was on a site I've been a member of good standing on since 1998 and, for the first time, using my cell phone to post. I was being unintentionally cryptic in my posts because I just didn't want to do a lot of typing. I said something that was misunderstood by someone important and permanently banned.  

I learned my lesson from that one...

28 minutes ago, discipler777 said:

Well, the Jews and Muslims also believe in God. Christians are "slightly" different in their beliefs.

Yes, you’re making my point!

It isn’t until Romans that we start to acquire some important details about our need for a savior and what salvation is saving us from and who we become. That is why when scholars want to teach about the Kingdom of God being ushered in they go to the gospels, and for assurance of salvation they go to Paul’s epistles. Shoot I remember losing sleep over the branches thrown in the fire Jesus gives in John.

But when I read 1 Cor 12-15 I saw clearly that we don’t lose salvation because of sin. If we only use the gospels we never see the relationship of works and grace identified!

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Heh. I rarely use my cell phone for this. It's just too difficult. On a related note, I was on a site I've been a member of good standing on since 1998 and, for the first time, using my cell phone to post. I was being unintentionally cryptic in my posts because I just didn't want to do a lot of typing. I said something that was misunderstood by someone important and permanently banned.  

I learned my lesson from that one...

I was banned from Christianforums.com for supporting Kavanaugh.

After 4 years and 3000 posts, no warnings. Then they shadow banned my content after one moderator highlighted it and the post became wildly popular.

The admin who ran it (A British-owned company now) had “Not a Trump fan!” As his one Christian slogan on his profile (should give  you an idea of how liberal he was) started sending warning after warning (a team of 5 moderators found 4 flaming or goading offenses in 24 hours!

i published a thread demonstrating how my offenses still existed on CF in over 25000 posts by other people and sugggested they were running a hit job on me due to my kavanaugh post and they banned me. 

Facebook and youtube are less likely to ban political conservatives than Christian Forums under British rule!

Edited by Uber Genius