ask21771

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

The shroud of turin is a long linen cloth bearing a mysterious image of a man who many claim is Jesus Christ, although radio carbon dating puts the shrouds origins in the middle ages multiple lines of evidence (blood stains, dirt etc.) seem to support it being the burial cloth of Jesus. However another factor to consider is this there is no mention of a linen cloth with the image of Jesus ANYWHERE in the bible, so the question I have is, if the shroud of turin is the burial cloth of Christ why would such a miracle be left out of the bible

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

There is a good chance that the shroud is a forgery, and some chance that it is not. Either way, what would be the point of mentioning it in the Bible. The writers of the gospel, might not have had any idea that the shroud had even been kept by anyone, I suspect that it would have been the practice of Jews, not to want to handle the cloth, as it would probably been considered and unclean, having contacted a dead body.

If the cloth is authentic, there is no chain of custody that we have to demonstrate that is was the shroud of Jesus, and not some other corpse. We could ask questions like this, about the garments that Jesus wore, where it the arc of the covenant, or Noah's arc, or the cross of Jesus, or any number of other things.

There would be no need to mention relics as existing, because God chose that future believers we to beleive on faith, not on physical evidences. He used miracles as evidence, for those who witnessed them, to authenicate Jesus as the Messiah prophesied in the Hebrew scriptures. 

Jesus told his disciples:

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

If a person really requires proof, they might want to reconsider. God does not offer proof, until it is too late when people meet Him at the judgement. It is through faith that people are saved:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- Eph 2:8

Faith is pretty simple, it is believing God:

2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” a

Rom 4:4Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them.” 

Basically, the bottom line there is that no one is good enough to get into heaven by being good, righteousness is credited to the account of those who believe God (not those who merely believe that God exists. Those who believe God, believe that He gave His only begotten Son, to die for their sins. That is a very generous gift to those who do not deserve it.

Now, there is some physical evidence for God's existence, we call it Creation, is speaks of a Creator of great power and inteligence. The complexities of the world around us, the fantastic language of the blueprint of life, encoded in DNA, etc, the vastness of the Universe, that we can hardly fathom, and cannot even discover.

When the Bible was written, there was no excuse not to seek God, just based on this evidence. From the discoveries of modern science, we now have less excuse, since what the physical universe reveals, is way beyond what they knew 2000 years ago.

Those who seek signs, the Jesus called evil, yet, he did give them one sign, He predicted that He would die, and then rise from the dead:

38 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.” 39 He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here. 42 The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here.

Now of course, that was fine for them who were around to see it, but what about us, 2000 years later? As I said, we need faith, you do not have it yet, perhaps one day, God will gift you with it, have you ever asked for it? Ask for faith, not for proof.

God does not leave us without evidence though, He left us with evidence of the sort like we uses in matters of law, and matters of history, the testimony of eyewitness. His apostles  (and they are not the only ones, were with Jesus, and saw Him die, and saw Him dead. 

They also saw Him again, after He rose from the dead. They knew whether Jesus was real, a worker of miracle, that He lived and died, and rose again.

They maintained these facts for decade, giving up status, family, lands, etc. Considered outcasts from their society, and from the Romans that occupied and ruled in the lands they dwelt in. The could have recanted their story, and kept a lot of what they gave up. The could have started new lives, where no one knew them.

Instead, the spoke of what they knew to be true, and worked hard to spread these events around their known world, and likely all of them died as martyrs, except for the apostle John.

The content of their writings have been preserved like no other writings antiquity, both in quality and quantity, there is not even a remotely close contender for second place.

People do not deny Jesus for lack of evidence, they deny Him because the refuse to accept the evidence that exists. Are you going to die, as one of them. Will you go to your grave, having refused God's offer to save you? I sure hope not!

As people read this, they are praying for you, but in the end, if you refuse God, that is on your head, not His, and not ours!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, ask21771 said:

The shroud of turin is a long linen cloth bearing a mysterious image of a man who many claim is Jesus Christ, although radio carbon dating puts the shrouds origins in the middle ages multiple lines of evidence (blood stains, dirt etc.) seem to support it being the burial cloth of Jesus. However another factor to consider is this there is no mention of a linen cloth with the image of Jesus ANYWHERE in the bible, so the question I have is, if the shroud of turin is the burial cloth of Christ why would such a miracle be left out of the bible

It has no significance in Christianity.. So why would the Bible mention it?  From what i have read about it, it seems to have been a forgery made in the middle ages.. Whether it is real or fake makes no difference to the beliefs of Christianity.. It does not even have any Symbolic meaning in Christianity..

Also why would a shroud be a miracle?  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:22 AM, ask21771 said:

Because its fake.  Regarding the Shroud of Turin. If we go the Bible and accept the Scriptures, it must be false and it has nothing to do with Christ.

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" (1 Cor. 11:14).

Long hair is a glory and a covering for women not men.

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." (1 Cor. 11:15).

These Scripture being recorded in the Bible, I doubt Jesus would have had long hair as many icons show? That fake
shroud of Turin also shows long hair on the face of the one depicted on it, another proof it is a fake.

And Scripture teaches Jesus had a beard.

"I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." (Isa. 50:6).

The
shroud of Turin is like a bed sheet. Its one piece from head to toe. Jesus was wrapped in linen strips as the Scriptures teach, and His head was wrapped in a separate napkin so that negates the shroud for a start.

"Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself." (John 20:6-7).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The last I had heard was that it was that of a person who had been crucified, but that thousands were crucified during the Roman persecutions of Jews and the church of those centuries.  There is nothing to say it was that of Jesus Christ.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

Like Hezekiah said 2 Ki 18:4, Nehushtan, ...it's just wool, why venerate it?

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/14/2001

If the shroud helps someone to believe, then it is a good thing. Otherwise, it is of no matter. Feed His sheep!

• Thumbs Up 1