• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  4,329
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

John 15:5 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:1-27 .

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

56 minutes ago, Walter and Deborah said:

John 15:5 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 15:1-27 .

Blessed be this truth. It has been and remains a strength to know. That it’s our job to “abide” it’s His job to bring forth the fruit. 

Blessings 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

He that abideth in me, and I in him

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10 
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
    that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
    justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
“Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
    look around and consider,
    search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
    who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
    I will forgive this city.
Psalm 119 verse 114
You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

A much-abused verse by the "Saved by grace, perfected by works," heretics.  Paul puts this verse in perspective regarding those who are in Christ and yet don't abide:

1 Corinthians 3:12-15 ESV

"Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one's work will become manifest, for the Day (Judgement Day) will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though HE HIMSELF WILL BE SAVED, but only as through fire.

3 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

Heretics? 

Yes. This is why he uses "Foolish" and Bewitched. He is saying that this view is a false gospel. We need to be extremely careful here. Paul is not saying this is just a minority view. It is another gospel. Luther calls it heresy as well. In fact many of the reformation leaders described Gal 3 as Heretical.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Just now, Uber Genius said:

Yes. This is why he uses "Foolish" and Bewitched. He is saying that this view is a false gospel. We need to be extremely careful here. Paul is not saying this is just a minority view. It is another gospel. Luther calls it heresy as well. In fact many of the reformation leaders described Gal 3 as Heretical.

I recognize this ... but if your goal is to recover someone out of error.  Let the Spirit of God do so.  :)

Listen the VERY FIRST RULE in any discussion is NEVER EVER use a personal attack.  Why?  BECAUSE personal attacks results in a lost argument!  You cannot win ANY discussion once you use a personal attack.   Do a google search -- How to LOSE a DEBATE.   The VERY FIRST thing you'll probably find -- is using a personal attack or a Ad Hominem argument which is attacking the person or their character rather than discussing the topic at hand!   Quite frankly as soon as ANYONE using a personal attack whether it's TRUE OR FALSE -- it creates a connection to an emotion!  So the talking points are NO LONGER the subject -- but the ATTACK!  And then EVERY SINGLE TIME the person sees that NAME -- the EMOTION is brought up -- and the debate is over before a point is read!  It's a biblical understanding of what Proverbs lays out.

Proverbs 18:19  A brother offended is like a strong city; and their disagreements are like the bars of a fortress.

If your goal is to recover someone out of error -- look at how Paul gives advice to Timothy,

2Ti 2:24  And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil
2Ti 2:25  correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 
2Ti 2:26  and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. 

And you find that they recover themselves out of the snare of the enemy -- as the Spirit reveals truth to them!

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, George said:

I realize you're new so I'll let this slide once.  But this would be considered an ad-hominen attack and if someone was caught in this error -- they wouldn't be recovered as soon as you said -- You're a heretic!  :)   

However the Scriptures are clear --

Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 
Eph 2:9  not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 
Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

Our goals are to grow deeper "together" in the Lord!  Iron sharpens iron ... :)  We do it in love -- not name calling!  :)

That is not correct!

If someone affirms a view that someone maintains his salvation through works Luther, many of the Reformers and many of the Evangelical scholar as well as Paul in Gal. 3 calls this view HERESY.

I did not say we should reject Discipler777 views because "He is a heretic." That would be an ad hominem as you suggest. But I gave reasons why Paul said it, and references and am attacking the "Saved by Grace, Maintained by works" view not the individual. 

I am encouraging others to challenge the view offered by that person but not the person. Again no ad hominem here. Just the data from the scriptural texts I gave, as well as the fact that this view has been consistently condemned as heretical by reformers and Evangelicals alike. 

• Oy Vey! 1

• Steward

1 minute ago, Uber Genius said:

I am encouraging others to challenge the view offered by that person but not the person. Again no ad hominem here. Just the data from the scriptural texts I gave, as well as the fact that this view has been consistently condemned as heretical by reformers and Evangelicals alike. 

Just remember some of the reformers thought it was a good thing to kill their opponents as well -- and did so!  So be careful of whom you want to emulate.  :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Steward