The bull must be stoned

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

In Ps 1:2 we are instructed to delight in the law of the Lord. I long to do so. However, the law contains things that make this quite a challenge. Consider Exodus 21:28 and 21:32 for example. Here a bull gores a man to death and the law commands the bull to be stoned. Stoning is an incredibly painful and cruel way to kill any sentient creature. Why the cruelty? The bull will learn nothing and it encourages brutality on the part of the perpetrators and onlookers. I don’t understand why God would allow such a law.

I take note that in Gen 9:5 God says he will demand an accounting for animals that kill men. I take this to mean that animals are not, as I have always known, unthinking automatons. In killing a man, the bull violates his conscience, but why not kill him quickly? It is the cruelty that makes it hard to obey Psalm 1.

Edited by Uxinox

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Uxinox said:

However, the law contains things that make this quite a challenge.

Let me show you some things it takes a few verses.

Hebrews chapter 7 verses 11,12 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood for on the basis of it the law was given to the people why was there still need for another priest to come one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.  

Let me show you the mistake most people make with the law.

Romans chapter 9 verses 30-Romans chapter 10 verse 4
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone. As it is written: See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame. Brothers my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are Zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own the did not submit to God's righteousness, Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes. 

Galatians chapter 5 verse 6  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

James chapter 2 verse 13
because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

I hope this helps.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Three things.

[1] Welcome and thanks for putting this question forward.  It's a good one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[2] David uses that word "law" a lot.  The thing is, sometimes it can mean the literal list of rules for the ancient Jewish people.  Other times it can mean Genesis through Deuteronomy.  And other times, it can mean the entire word of God. David uses a lot of words for God's word in many of the psalms that he wrote.  For example, here are some words found just in the first several verses of Psalm 119 alone.

• word
  • law
  • statutes
  • commands
  • His ways
  • precepts
  • decrees

I can't tell you how many times David uses these words when writing songs to God.

In my opinion - David is not talking about taking delight in stoning bulls as in being a sadist.  He isn't talking about getting joy out of the consequences of the literal law when it is broken.  I think he is talking about something much more.

When you read all of the times that David talks about loving God's ways and decrees, he is talking about loving God and wanting to live a life that pleases God.  And he acknowledges the way to do that it is to obey God when he shows us right, wrong, and how to repent when wrongdoing occurs.

That's what David loves.  Not stoning a bull to death.  It's this - "I will hide your word in my heart so that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[3] The law that you are thinking of - the list of rules found in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy - are not in effect anymore and have not been since Jesus Christ resurrected.  It's true, there are some thing there at still are for all people - don't murder, rape, lie, steal,....

Those were God's ways and truths long before that temporary "law" came for ancient Jews.  It was a sin when Cain killed Abel, when Dinah was raped, when Rueben slept with his father's concubine, and more.  These happened before the law. These thing are still offenses to God.  The New Testament still speaks against murder, lying, and more.

But those sacrifices, feast days, laws pertaining to mildew, blood, certain animals and more were civil and ceremonial laws only for Jewish people before Christ came.  Those laws did NOT "save" them or make them righteous.  What made them acceptable to God was their faith.

The New Testament says those laws were for keeping the people in anticipation of Christ coming and to keep their minds on holiness until he came and died for us.