• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 hours ago, Spookycolt said:

I don't think that marrying someone who isn't a Christian is bad because I think if he is a bad choice that God will give you plenty of other obvious reasons not to marry. 

There are billions of people on this planet with opinions... but only one way, truth and life written down for all to be judged by! The Word from God forbids His children to be unequally yoked and you are saying what exactly?

2 Cor 6:14-18

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
KJV
You are at a place where God's Word 'IS' The Authority and by it life is determined...

Edited by enoob57
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

9 hours ago, Spookycolt said:

This is a tough one. 

We know what the Bible says but it says many things. 

Isn't giving up the one "you are supposed to be with" also turning your back on them? 

Can't God use you to change them? 

Does saying that I can't date you or marry you because you don't believe instill an elite status upon us, which God definitely forbids? 

My point is that God has rules we need to follow and this is one but you should make sure that its not the only criteria and that you might be breaking other rules by following it. 

I don't think that marrying someone who isn't a Christian is bad because I think if he is a bad choice that God will give you plenty of other obvious reasons not to marry. 

You will see them if you look. 

Or hopefully you won't and you found the perfect mate. 

I disagree Spookycolt, First I think it's common sense a Born Again Christian with a man who isn't even open to God is starting off wrong. There is a chance the marriage may work and maybe that even the husband will come to God through his wife. But the greater probability is that over time the wife will grow less close to God. I've heard of this more often than the opposite situation.

Secondly, the Biblical reason you gave is misapplied. There are several examples of what I mean in the Gospels but I'm not sure which one is best here. I'm thinking of Jesus chiding the Pharisees because they condemned Him for healing on the Sabbath but they readily pull their trapped animals out of a ditch on the Sabbath. You need wisdom and discernment to know which rule applies in a given situation. In this one I think the unequally yoked together applies. This man is not interested in God much less Jesus. He simply acknowledges God is real. That's not enough. He might have even said that to make his gf happy. I've even heard of unbelievers pretending to be interested only to drop the pretense after the wedding. I've even heard of unbelievers falsely accepting our Lord to make the believer happy. That doesn't result in salvation nor is the person Born Again, which becomes painfully obvious in time. This is a potentially volatile situation and IMO she's better off to end it now before it explodes. 

I am sorry.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 12/16/2018 at 12:08 PM, Melinda12 said:

Can marriage between a truly committed Christian and a non-believer really work? 

The non believer party acknowledges there is a God. But has no understanding and does not wish to have one of Christ, Holy Spirit or the Bible. He is a good man, decent and rational. But has no interest in being a Christian any time soon. 

The woman belongs to Christ. He is her everything, her foundation for life. Her wish is to spread His message and bring souls to Him. Church going and truly believing that Bible is the Word of God. 

She loves the man. Wants nobody else. But will marriage work? She is praying for guidance before taking that step. 

Answer me truthfully. What is your view? 

Are you already married? If so, stay married! Do the best you can prayerfully and be everything a Christian wife is to be. If he refuses to follow God he will eventually leave. 

If you are not yet married, you should not get married. You'll spare yourself a world of hurt.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, JTC said:

I disagree Spookycolt, First I think it's common sense a Born Again Christian with a man who isn't even open to God is starting off wrong. There is a chance the marriage may work and maybe that even the husband will come to God through his wife. But the greater probability is that over time the wife will grow less close to God. I've heard of this more often than the opposite situation.

Secondly, the Biblical reason you gave is misapplied. There are several examples of what I mean in the Gospels but I'm not sure which one is best here. I'm thinking of Jesus chiding the Pharisees because they condemned Him for healing on the Sabbath but they readily pull their trapped animals out of a ditch on the Sabbath. You need wisdom and discernment to know which rule applies in a given situation. In this one I think the unequally yoked together applies. This man is not interested in God much less Jesus. He simply acknowledges God is real. That's not enough. He might have even said that to make his gf happy. I've even heard of unbelievers pretending to be interested only to drop the pretense after the wedding. I've even heard of unbelievers falsely accepting our Lord to make the believer happy. That doesn't result in salvation nor is the person Born Again, which becomes painfully obvious in time. This is a potentially volatile situation and IMO she's better off to end it now before it explodes. 

I am sorry.   

Thank you JTC and this is why I am here. 

To hopefully learn things. 

But I do have to respectfully disagree. None of us are or ever will be fully complete with God, if that was possible then Jesus wouldn't have had to die. 

So where do you draw the line, as a Christian, on who has reached that point of worthiness? 

I am not qualified to judge someone else's faith. 

I believe this gospel is not about a strict rule but rather about how we judge ourselves. 

You marry an unbeliever, it doesn't work out, and you get divorced, same as everyone but what I believe God is telling us here is that we should put our faith in Him to fix what we might conceive as impossible, that we could be His tools. 

God pulled me out and I think He wants to pull others out also. He may use marriage to do that. 

12 hours ago, enoob57 said:

There are billions of people on this planet with opinions... but only one way, truth and life written down for all to be judged by! The Word from God forbids His children to be unequally yoked and you are saying what exactly?

2 Cor 6:14-18

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
KJV
You are at a place where God's Word 'IS' The Authority and by it life is determined...

I understand all of those but the question is this. 

How do you define an unbeliever? 

I guess that if someone straight up says they don't believe in God then they aren't but I myself denied Him for a long time but I still did believe. 

I just hadn't been shown the path yet. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

6 minutes ago, Spookycolt said:

I understand all of those but the question is this. 

How do you define an unbeliever? 

I guess that if someone straight up says they don't believe in God then they aren't but I myself denied Him for a long time but I still did believe. 

I just hadn't been shown the path yet. 

Those who are not of the regeneration... do not have the indwelling of The Holy Spirit.

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

it doesnt quite work like that for a Christian. You can only get divorced if your husband or wife commits adultery. Even then, its is a very serious decision to make. 

I have to disagree Maryjayne.

As Christians we are still humans and living in this world. 

I can root for a football team without it being related to God. 

It appears you are implying that we are different but we actually aren't, we make the same mistakes and have the same successes as anyone does. 

That includes bad marriages. 

Since we are Christians the hope is that we make a good judgement call beforehand, about the person we are about to marry, pray about it, and hopefully find guidance. 

If we walk with the Lord I don't think He is going to lead us astray so if He is telling you its ok to marry an unbeliever, because maybe He has a plan, I don't think that should be an obstacle. 

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

are you saying that a Christian can get divorced for any reason? I want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

the thing is, as God has forbidden marrying an unbeliever, He wont then tell us its OK. So the feeling we are being led by God to marry an unbeliever is wrong and does not come from God. God does not tell us to break His commandments. Ever. Thats how we can tell if a feeling or thought is from God and has His blessing

Do you have the wisdom to know who is not a believer? 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Spooky, Listen to Maryjayne. She sounds like a mature Christian and I agree with what she told you.

FYI, I had become (what I call) an intellectual atheist at age 18. But God was always in the back of my mind. I didn't believe He existed so I couldn't believe in Him. Lots of people tried to evangelize me but it took a supernatural move of God to convince me He was real. For the first 20 yrs I had ideas like you. I'd favor romantic love over God's word. Jesus made such a big deal about love I thought God would suspend 1 of His rules so I could be with a long time love interest. I was so wrong. God can't bless what He said not to do. Consequentially I caused disasters in several lives that I had no right to be involved in. She was saved also but we were still behaving against God's word. Finally I ended the romance but we have remained buddies. I know God wants me to remain in touch with this lady, but no more than that. A few yrs later I saw this situation repeat in a new believer's relationship. She thought God would make an exception for her. He did not.

I can't change your opinion, that's obvious. But I say time and experience will change it. ?