• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Greetings,

I've always had a question about the word 'faith'. What does it mean to have faith in someone. Is it just having faith that they were real? Is it that you have faith in what they did, so you do it also?

Can somebody help me understand this word... faith?

Thanks in advance.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,062
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The fulness of it's definition is found here

Heb 11:1-3

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

testified by Holy Spirit/Paul's writing here

Rom 1:20

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
KJV

This the creative Word of God in all things formed and combining the cou'de gra God's written Word

Rom 10:17

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
KJV

When one meditates upon the spoken substance 'the sensual means of first birth' and Scripture overlay the complete picture can be formed up and to where -it will exceed the ability of that which has began... the Born Again in newness of s/Spirit can maintain a deeper appreciation of waiting upon The Lord while doing His Will in subjugating both spoken and written into LIFE now with God....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

3 hours ago, UnprofitableServantJames said:

Greetings,

I've always had a question about the word 'faith'. What does it mean to have faith in someone. Is it just having faith that they were real? Is it that you have faith in what they did, so you do it also?

Thanks in advance.

Three English Bible words, belief, faith and trust, are used for the same Greek word. When you see faith and believe, just substitute trust in your mind.

We trust Jesus for salvation.

We trust elders to help our churches.

We trust God was Creator and will bring us hope.

Etc.

The Hebrews passage above means this: "Without trusting Jesus, you cannot please God, for everyone who comes to the Father must trust He exists, and that He rewards those who seek Him." See how well this works, to use the word "trust"?

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/17/2018 at 3:11 AM, UnprofitableServantJames said:

Greetings,

Thanks in advance.

There are two kinds of faith, human faith and God's faith.

We all exhibit human faith, faith that when we flip the switch the light will turn on, that the chair we are sitting in will hold us, that when we turn the key in the ignition the car will start, those are examples of human faith and when it doesn't happen, the light bulb is burned out, the chair collapses, the motor doesn't start, then we are disappointed and sad.

Then there is God's faith, the first example of this kind of faith is the reason we are born again:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it (faith) is the gift of God: Eph 2:8

Then we start to grow in the faith of God:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.  Rom 10:17

As we read the Word we ask the Holy Spirit to open our ears to hear what He is saying and to place His Truths in our hearts.

In so doing this the Words will literally jump off of the pages, and having been taught by the Holy Spirit 1 John 2:27, we know that we know that we know.

The as we walk in God's faith we know what is the Truth and what is not, ...and God's faith NEVER disappoints or makes us sad.

The just live by faith. Hab 2:4, Rom 1:17, Gal 3:11. Heb 10:38

Faith is taught 4 times in the Bible, ...that's how important God's faith is for us.

Lord bless

17 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

There are two kinds of faith, human faith and God's faith.

We all exhibit human faith, faith that when we flip the switch the light will turn on, that the chair we are sitting in will hold us, that when we turn the key in the ignition the car will start, those are examples of human faith and when it doesn't happen, the light bulb is burned out, the chair collapses, the motor doesn't start, then we are disappointed and sad.

Then there is God's faith, the first example of this kind of faith is the reason we are born again:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it (faith) is the gift of God: Eph 2:8

Then we start to grow in the faith of God:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.  Rom 10:17

As we read the Word we ask the Holy Spirit to open our ears to hear what He is saying and to place His Truths in our hearts.

In so doing this the Words will literally jump off of the pages, and having been taught by the Holy Spirit 1 John 2:27, we know that we know that we know.

The as we walk in God's faith we know what is the Truth and what is not, ...and God's faith NEVER disappoints or makes us sad.

The just live by faith. Hab 2:4, Rom 1:17, Gal 3:11. Heb 10:38

Faith is taught 4 times in the Bible, ...that's how important God's faith is for us.

Lord bless

Are you saying "faith is trust", as in "we trust the light switch will activate the light" and "we trust God will keep His promises"?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

40 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Are you saying "faith is trust", as in "we trust the light switch will activate the light" and "we trust God will keep His promises"?

I think you have inadvertently answered your own question, yes, it's the object of our faith, which comes down to is it created or is it the Creator God, ...creation will always disappoint us the Creator never will, ...it's that simple.

An example in my life; when Father told me to come here one of the conditions He gave me was not to accept any money from friends, family or even my church, when I arrived here I didn't have one single penny, I would wake up in the morning and remind Father He was the One who prompted David to write, I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.  Psa 37:25, ...I would sense the Holy Spirit telling me to go for a walk, sure enough, many times I would find ripe bananas along side of the road, or mangoes, sometimes enough money to buy a baguette, one time I found five dollars buried in the mud, ...the point is, I was walking in obedience to what Father had called me to do and having faith, trust, confidence in His Word, ...food for me was His responsibility and not mine Matt 18:3, ...faith in my Father, ...the Creator of Heaven and Earth could surely provide food for His child.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

In addition to the word trust is "rely upon".  To have faith in Jesus Christ is to trust in and rely upon Him.  I pray about little things daily--yesterday it was a misplaced credit card.  I relied on God to open my eyes to where it was left, and He did.  By depending upon Him daily He also builds our faith to be able to trust Him in calamity.  My pastor always says that depending on God is not a crutch, it is a gurney.  We rest our whole lives on Him conversing with Him daily, and on the shed blood of Christ on the cross to save us eternally.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

12 hours ago, Willa said:

In addition to the word trust is "rely upon".  To have faith in Jesus Christ is to trust in and rely upon Him.  I pray about little things daily--yesterday it was a misplaced credit card.  I relied on God to open my eyes to where it was left, and He did.  By depending upon Him daily He also builds our faith to be able to trust Him in calamity.  My pastor always says that depending on God is not a crutch, it is a gurney.  We rest our whole lives on Him conversing with Him daily, and on the shed blood of Christ on the cross to save us eternally.  

Thanks--I use the term "trust or rely upon" Jesus at times, since "trust" and "rely on" are synonyms.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

adhere to is another term Amplified uses for faith and believe.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

In order to have faith in someone you pay attention to how they present themselves. An honest trustful human being will display diligence by the words that they say and will back up what they say with examples. When a person displays their faith by their works they pray and give back to others while proclaiming their time on the Earth. (James 2:14) When a person says they will be their for you in your time of need it is based upon their level of respect for you. Their level of respect for you will determine how much faith you should put into trusting another person.