• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, UnprofitableServantJames said:

Where in scripture does it suggest that a backslider is saved? It is really hear to wrap my head around what you are suggesting?

Though I can see levels of backsliding that could hold your point true. But at what point is someone lost?

In peace

I understand. Let's start with what we both know and affirm:

Hebrews 11 is a great chapter that tells Christians how to live, boldly and not sinfully.

Hebrews 12 is a great chapter that tells Christians they are children of God and get spanked for backsliding.

Hebrew 12 says if a backslider isn't spanked, they're not a child but illegitimate (child of Satan!).

The Beatitudes and countless other scriptures describe God as Father and God as nurturer and supreme parent. Christians are adopted by God. Can He parent them perfectly? Of course. Can Satan take a born again person, resurrect their old man, re-adopt them away from God, etc.? NO! He lacks this power--but he always wants people to think he has more power than he does.

Show me an ex-Christian who loves every minute of their sinful lifestyle and I'll tend to call them out as never saved to begin. I constantly witness to such people, often, atheists trolling websites (or in person, seeking attention). I ask their "testimony" and hear they sought spiritual experiences, pursued a charismatic pastor, followed the people they liked, etc. but NEVER do they say, "Jesus and I had a relationship, then He disappeared from the scene." NEVER. Never do they say, "I sincerely trusted Jesus to be born again," NEVER.

Show me an ex-Christian who indulges their flesh but is miserable, and I'll tend to call them a lost child (parable of the prodigal here).

Remember Hosea also, "Israel, you are backslidden but I AM MARRIED TO YOU." GOD HATES DIVORCE as the scripture encourages us, so the nation of Israel (or the Northern tribes in this case) would NEVER be fully cast away by God. As backsliders, would there be suffering, misery, chastisement, YES. Total loss of salvation? No, see Romans 11:26.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

15 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

Show me an ex-Christian who indulges their flesh but is miserable, and I'll tend to call them a lost child (parable of the prodigal here)

There is a lot to what you shared in your post, but I think if we can see the truth from the prodigal son, then we can move on.

Here is a story of a son who left his father and spent his inheritance in sin. While hanging out with the pigs he came to his senses and decided to go back  to His father to repent.

The lesson of the story is that God will forgive us if, and that is a big IF, we turn back to repent. I find it hard to believe someone can forsake God (Note they forsook God) and still expect God to save them. God is clear that He wants faithful children that will do His will in His Kingdom.

Hebrews also talks about someone losing their salvation by nailing Jesus back on the cross. Though I still think God can restore such a person if they repent.

Ultimately God will be the judge, but I wouldn't gamble eternity on living a life of lust in hopes that God will still save us because of a ritual we did years ago.

In peace

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

5 hours ago, UnprofitableServantJames said:

There is a lot to what you shared in your post, but I think if we can see the truth from the prodigal son, then we can move on.

Here is a story of a son who left his father and spent his inheritance in sin. While hanging out with the pigs he came to his senses and decided to go back  to His father to repent.

The lesson of the story is that God will forgive us if, and that is a big IF, we turn back to repent. I find it hard to believe someone can forsake God (Note they forsook God) and still expect God to save them. God is clear that He wants faithful children that will do His will in His Kingdom.

Hebrews also talks about someone losing their salvation by nailing Jesus back on the cross. Though I still think God can restore such a person if they repent.

Ultimately God will be the judge, but I wouldn't gamble eternity on living a life of lust in hopes that God will still save us because of a ritual we did years ago.

In peace

1) Yet the father waited at the edge of his field for his son, daily, and threw him a party. Not a "you're my son again, and you weren't my son for a while," but a party.

2) My fault for bringing up a parable, where people can argue about the interpretation. You should carefully consider Hebrews 12, which makes no sense if Christians can lose their salvation via backsliding.

3) Why is it okay for God to remain married to backslidden Israel, but not keep the engagement to a member of His bride, the church?

4) From memory, Hebrews says false teachers crucify Christ shamefully, not backsliders.

5) It's not technically "God will be the judge," God chooses to give people free will to receive or reject Jesus. However the cross is salvation, not our repentance. Be very, very, very careful not to add to the cross what we do or don't do.

Number 5 is of great concern to me, I'm often meeting Christians who believe salvation can be lost, because they think repentance/faith/good deeds/whatever/who cares? (!) is more of salvation that this free gift of the cross and resurrection power.

One more set of verses? Romans 8: God does not take back His irrevocable gifts. Romans 6: Salvation is a gift.

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 12/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, UnprofitableServantJames said:

Greetings,

I've always had a question about the word 'faith'. What does it mean to have faith in someone. Is it just having faith that they were real? Is it that you have faith in what they did, so you do it also?

Can somebody help me understand this word... faith?

Thanks in advance.

Belief without seeing, and total trust and reliance in the thing you have faith in.