• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

There's a bit of work involved in proving all things and holding fast to what is good. Some translations have "test all things", and the thought is to examine and decide on its worthiness for inclusion in our life. Worldliness is out, and certainly works of the flesh are not to be included, but how to decide on what constitutes the appearance of evil and avoid giving it, that's the challenge every day. Praise God in Christ for the help of the Holy Spirit.

1Thess 5:21-24
(21)  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
(22)  Abstain from all appearance of evil.
(23)  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(24)  Faithful is he that calls you, who also will do it.

Edited by Michael37
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

When I think about the work of sanctification in our day, I'm encouraged by what Paul wrote.

Php 2:15  that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 
Php 2:16  holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 

... even in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation ... :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

1Thess 5:21-24
(21)  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
(22)  Abstain from all appearance of evil.
(23)  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(24)  Faithful is he that calls you, who also will do it. 

6 hours ago, George said:

Php 2:15  that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 
Php 2:16  holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 

... even in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation

When I read both posts above, several times to see if I could add a comment or not, I forgot about any post I might make and realized how far short I am from fulfilling the commands contained in the verses.  "Prove all, hold fast to good,  abstain from all appearance of evil, blameless unto the coming of our Lord, blameless and innocent, without blemish, shine as lights, holding fast to the word" ........
How could I do all this, as I feel so weak. But then I noticed vs 24,
Faithful is he that calls you, who also will do it. 
Then I saw vs 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly

So cool.     Not I, but Christ in me........

• Thumbs Up 1