Sign in to follow this  
Michael37

Everyday Sanctified Living

There's a bit of work involved in proving all things and holding fast to what is good. Some translations have "test all things", and the thought is to examine and decide on its worthiness for inclusion in our life. Worldliness is out, and certainly works of the flesh are not to be included, but how to decide on what constitutes the appearance of evil and avoid giving it, that's the challenge every day. Praise God in Christ for the help of the Holy Spirit.

1Thess 5:21-24
(21)  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
(22)  Abstain from all appearance of evil.
(23)  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(24)  Faithful is he that calls you, who also will do it.

Edited by Michael37
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

When I think about the work of sanctification in our day, I'm encouraged by what Paul wrote.

Php 2:15  that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 
Php 2:16  holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 

... even in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation ... :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

1Thess 5:21-24
(21)  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
(22)  Abstain from all appearance of evil.
(23)  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(24)  Faithful is he that calls you, who also will do it. 

6 hours ago, George said:

Php 2:15  that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 
Php 2:16  holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 

... even in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation

When I read both posts above, several times to see if I could add a comment or not, I forgot about any post I might make and realized how far short I am from fulfilling the commands contained in the verses.  "Prove all, hold fast to good,  abstain from all appearance of evil, blameless unto the coming of our Lord, blameless and innocent, without blemish, shine as lights, holding fast to the word" ........
How could I do all this, as I feel so weak. But then I noticed vs 24,
Faithful is he that calls you, who also will do it. 
Then I saw vs 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly

So cool.     Not I, but Christ in me........

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Michael37
      In the current climate of godless humanism Christians can't publicly denounce as '"filthy dreamers" those leading the world further into decadence and defilement, without being accused of hate speech and virtue signaling. But we can still study the Book of Jude and read commentaries like this.  
      Quote From Matthew Henry's Commentary regarding Jude 1:8:
      Jud 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
      "The apostle here exhibits a charge against deceivers who were now seducing the disciples of Christ from the profession and practice of his holy religion. He calls them filthy dreamers, forasmuch as delusion is a dream, and the beginning of, and inlet to, all manner of filthiness. Note, Sin is filthiness; it renders men odious and vile in the sight of the most holy God, and makes them (sooner or later, as penitent or as punished to extremity and without resource) vile in their own eyes, and in a while they become vile in the eyes of all about them. These filthy dreamers dream themselves into a fool's paradise on earth, and into a real hell at last: let their character, course, and end, be our seasonable and sufficient warning; like sins will produce like punishments and miseries."
      How important it is to keep ourselves sanctified in Christ.
      1Pe 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
      This just a short post to see if anyone else has some thoughts and quotes on the subject of defilement versus sanctification.
      Blessings from Michael37 in NZ. 
    • By Retrobyter
      Shalom, everyone!
      At shiloh357's suggestion, I'm starting this thread to give a BIBLICAL definition to "holy" and "holiness." 
      See, I'm not a huge fan of the "science" of theology. Theology to me is like commentaries; just more human words to confuse the issues. As Paul said,
      Romans 3:4
      4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
      So, let's get a running start:
      First of all, the Hebrew word translated as "holy" is "qaadowsh":
      6918 qaadowsh (kaw-doshe'). Or qaadosh {kaw-doshe'} (spelled without the vav); from qaadash; sacred (ceremonially or morally); (as noun) God (by eminence), an angel, a saint, a sanctuary -- holy (One), saint.
      6942 qaadash (kaw-dash'). A primitive root; to be (causatively, make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally) -- appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy(-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify(-ied one, self), X wholly.
      And, Yesha`yahuw (Isaiah) said,
      Isaiah 6:1-5 (KJV)
      1 In the year that king Uzziah (Hebrew: `Uzziyaahuw) died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2 Above it stood the seraphims (Hebrew: sraafiym = "burning ones" or "poisonous [serpents]") each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
      3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy (Hebrew: Qaadowsh, qaadowsh, qaadowsh) is the LORD of hosts (YHWH ts'va'owt😞 the whole earth is full of his glory.
      4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
      5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
      And, just for confirmation, here's the Hebrew (transliterated):
      Yeesha`yahuw 6:1-5 (JPS Hebrew-English TANAKH)
      1 Bishnat-mowt hamelekh Uzziyaahuw, vaa'er'eh et-Adonaay yosheeV `al-kicee', raam v-nissaa'; v-shuwlaayow m-lee'iym et-haheekhaal:
      2 Sraafiym -- `omdiym | mimma`al low sheesh knaafayim sheesh knaafayim l'echaad; bishtayim ykhacceh paanaayow, uwbishtayim ykhacceh raglaayow, uwbishtayim  y`owfeef:
      3 Vqaaraa' zeh 'el zeh v'aamar qaadowsh | qaadowsh qaadowsh YHWH tsVaa'owt mlo' khaal haa'aarets kVowdow:
      4 Vayaanu`uw ammowt haccipiym miqqowl haqqowree' vhabayit yimmaalee' aasaan:
      5 Vaa'omar owy-liy khiy nidmeeytiy -- kiy iysh Tmee'-shfaatayim aanokiy uwVtowkh `am Tmee' shfaatayim -- aanowkhiy yowseeV kiy et hamelekh YHWH tsVaa'owt raa'uw `eeynaay:
      Now, some say that "holy" means "set apart"; others say that "holy" means "righteous"; still others say that "holy" means "ceremoniously sacred," but the Scriptures tell me that this word means "clean" or "pure" (for that is how the word is used wherever it is found).
      So, when we read something like...
      Leviticus 19:1-4 (KJV)
      1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
      2 "Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. 3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God. 4 Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God."
      He is simply saying, "You shall be clean, for I YHWH Eloheinuw am clean!" And, then He proceeds to show them how they can be clean.
      Thoughts?
    • By Mr Nice
      Can a Christian, who believes in all the promises of God and the He who is in him is greater than he who is in the world, live the rest of his days blameless and fully sanctfied?
    • By OneWithGod
      Everything that God does with us individually is a process of growing into Him and more like Him, but this world is fooled by thinking some things are like a microwave, because their selfishness wants it now – So, they make themselves believe that they have it now, when in truth they haven’t went through God’s required process to receive what they have fooled themselves they already have, but don’t.

All Christians are taken from the point of where we are or aren’t in Christ and brought through a process to bring us to a point where we are perfected/sanctified fully into a Christ-like soul.

From the point of justification, we are in a process of being sanctified and made whole in Christ, this is called the sanctification process. It starts out at initial sanctification and should end up at entire/full sanctification.

Our salvation is a process as well, at initial sanctification we are saved from the power of our sins. Then we must use this power and grace that God has provided to us to continue in our sanctification and rid ourselves of our sins by this power. This process should go on until we have full salvation – by ridding ourselves of all our sins by this grace given to us, which is called the power of “salvation”. There is an “initial salvation”, but then that salvation process needs to continue to “full salvation”.

Being born again is also a process. We are first given a seed in our heart and souls that needs to grow into maturity - A mature Christian life that can live fully on Christ alone - A life that has left the world and all its worldly/fleshly desires in the past.

We start our born again process at the point of justification and it must continue to completion to be fully born of God. Our sanctification process mirrors our born again process. We must be entirely sanctified to be born of God. Actually the terms “born again” and “entire sanctification” mean the same thing and have the same biblical definitions. A person could rightly say that our sanctification process is the same as our born again process.

We must continue on into Christ and His Truth to become an obedient son of God. We must come to be sanctified through and through and become a pure and blameless soul for Him. A saint is not considered a saint until they are fully sanctified, and a born again person is not considered born again until they have matured into a full born again and Christ-like person for the Lord.

So, take joy in going through this sanctification (born again) process. Let us all keep reaching and pressing into God for this full born again experience.