• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Don't know if I can find the right words to ask my question but here it is. Is there any correlation between the duties in the OT temple priest and a NT believer. A lot of things in the OT were a shadow of what was to come. Temple made of stone by the hands of men to be the dwelling place of GOD was a shadow of the temple made of Flesh and spirit made by God to be his dwelling place.  OT oil to NT Holy Spirit. Sacrifice of sin offering of a lamb in the OT was a shadow of the sacrifice of the LAMB of GOD in the NT. The OT sacrifice of sin had to be done in the temple just like the NT sacrifice of Jesus must be applied or done in our bodies/ temple. There are so many things in the OT that were done that was a shadow of the NT. What were the daily duties of the temple priests? What was there daily routine? Is there any correlation between the duties in the OT temple priest and a NT believer.

Firestormx

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

15 minutes ago, firestormx said:

Don't know if I can find the right words to ask my question but here it is. Is there any correlation between the duties in the OT temple priest and a NT believer. A lot of things in the OT were a shadow of what was to come. Temple made of stone by the hands of men to be the dwelling place of GOD was a shadow of the temple made of Flesh and spirit made by God to be his dwelling place.  OT oil to NT Holy Spirit. Sacrifice of sin offering of a lamb in the OT was a shadow of the sacrifice of the LAMB of GOD in the NT. The OT sacrifice of sin had to be done in the temple just like the NT sacrifice of Jesus must be applied or done in our bodies/ temple. There are so many things in the OT that were done that was a shadow of the NT. What were the daily duties of the temple priests? What was there daily routine? Is there any correlation between the duties in the OT temple priest and a NT believer.

Firestormx

The Book of Hebrews is pure gold on this subject, Firestormx.

Here are some important verses to consider.

Heb 7:11-12
(11)  If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
(12)  For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
Heb 7:18-19
(18)  For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
(19)  For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Heb 8:13 In that he says, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and waxs old is ready to vanish away.

The ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper are all we are obligated to according to the New Testament. Everything else flows from relationship in the body of Christ, of which He of course is the Head.

9 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

The Book of Hebrews is pure gold on this subject, Firestormx.

The ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper are all we are obligated to according to the New Testament. Everything else flows from relationship in the body of Christ, of which He of course is the Head.

Yes, I agree and I apologize. I  must not have been clear enough in asking my question. Forgive me. 

Let me ask this way. If it was a daily duty of an OT priest to give an sin offering to GOD, then should we not daily confess any and all sins to our redeemer. If it was a daily duty of an OT priest to make sure the candles had enough oil so their light might shine, then shouldn't we daily pray in the Holy Spirit so that the light of GOD in us might shine? What were the daily duties of an OT priest in the temple of GOD that might have a spiritual application to us today?   

Edited by firestormx

6 minutes ago, firestormx said:

Yes, I agree and I apologize. I  must not have been clear enough in asking my question. Forgive me. 

Let me ask this way. If it was a daily duty of an OT priest to give an sin offering to GOD, then should we not daily confess any and all sins to our redeemer. If it was a daily duty of an OT priest to make sure the candles had enough oil so their light might shine, then shouldn't we daily pray in the Holy Spirit so that the light of GOD in us might shine? What were the daily duties of an OT priest in the temple of GOD that might have a spiritual application to us today?   

Well we can draw the analogy but my concern would be that it would become ritualistic rather than relational. The fruit produced is what I look for when Christians tell me they go through a set routine every day and follow a liturgy.

3 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Well we can draw the analogy but my concern would be that it would become ritualistic rather than relational. The fruit produced is what I look for when Christians tell me they go through a set routine every day and follow a liturgy.

While I guess that would be a concern... I'm just trying to learn more about GOD and draw closer to him. I view the bible in part as GOD's revealed will for us. I just thought that if GOD gave instruction for how a temple is to be maintained for his presence to dwell in it in the OT times, then that might have some application to us since GOD now will dwell within all who wholeheartedly seek him and depend on him for there salvation. 

2 hours ago, firestormx said:

*While I guess that would be a concern... I'm just trying to learn more about GOD and draw closer to him. I view the bible in part as GOD's revealed will for us. I just thought that if GOD gave instruction for how a temple is to be maintained for his presence to dwell in it in the OT times, then that might have some application to us since GOD now will dwell within all who wholeheartedly seek him and depend on him for there salvation. 

That's actually a good way to view ourselves in a spiritual sense but at times I meet fellow-believers who have become bound up in religiousity trying to achieve greater acceptance in Christ in a way that is similar to *ascetism. I'm not suggesting you are erring in that direction but this thread does raise the issue.

1Co 3:16  Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 
1Co 3:17  If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 

1Co 6:19  What? know you not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which you have of God, and you are not your own? 

2Co 6:16  And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? for you are the temple of the living God; as God has said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 

Eph 2:21  In whom all the building fitly framed together grows unto an holy temple in the Lord: 

*as·cet·i·cism

(ə-sĕt′ĭ-sĭz′əm)

n.
1. The principles and practices of an ascetic; extreme self-denial and austerity.
2. The doctrine that the ascetic life releases the soul from bondage to the body and permits union with the divine.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Col 2:16-23
(16)  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
(17)  Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
(18)  Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
(19)  And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increases with the increase of God.
(20)  Wherefore if you be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are you subject to ordinances,
(21)  (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
(22)  Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
(23)  Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Edited by Michael37
punctuation