IGNORED

Is it possible to be raised in the Christian church, lose your faith, then come back to believing in Jesus again and truly be forgiven?

emilylovesjesus

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This happened to me, I was raised in the Christian church but had some hard experiences being different because I had mental illness and was rejected very often and confused and hurt, I became atheist and eventually got into New Age beliefs and came to realize it was all a lie and missed the relationship with God and Jesus that I had when I was little. I didn't realize that it wasn't just all in my head, and that I actually did have a true relationship with the living God when I was young! I now 100 percent couldn't not believe in God and Jesus even if I wanted to. but there are a few verses in the bible that trouble me, for example:

Hebrews 6: 4-6

"4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 [c]if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame."

am I really forgiven? I feel and see God working in my life, but these doubts I get of if God will truly judge me as forgiven in the end on Judgement day keep popping up (and cause me to experience a lot of fear and depression).

• Thumbs Up 1

thanks, I found these other verses too just now that have helped give me some peace. This is from Romans 11: 22-23 and Paul is writing about the Jews turning from God and God making salvation available to the Gentiles. in verse 23 he says that those Jews could return and be forgiven :)

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

:) God is amazing. I've been struggling with this issue for a while now but these verses clearly show you can be forgiven. I understand the verses I posted in my earlier post that it was actually talking about, if the Jews went back to Judaism and making animal sacrifices instead of continuing to believe in Jesus's once and for all atonement for all of our sins, their hearts wouldn't be able to be softened to repentance because they are turning back to Judaism and believing Jesus to not be enough. but, if they again turned back from Judaism to believing in Jesus again, I think they would be forgiven. 

I don't think it exactly means as I interpreted it the first time with "there is no way their hearts could ever be softened to coming back to Jesus again, period" instead of just, "as long as they continued to rely on animal sacrifices and Judaism to pay for their sins, their hearts wouldn't be able to be softened to true repentance through Jesus"

• Brilliant! 1

thank you wingnut :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Well if you cant, then the prodigal son is in a world of trouble....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,029
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

21 minutes ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Well if you cant, then the prodigal son is in a world of trouble....

I would think Peter would be also.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  769
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.08
  • Days Won:  1

Sometimes we get tired and the cross we carry fall down, but we need to pick it up and carry on, life is not over yet.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.36
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, emilylovesjesus said:

thanks, I found these other verses too just now that have helped give me some peace. This is from Romans 11: 22-23 and Paul is writing about the Jews turning from God and God making salvation available to the Gentiles. in verse 23 he says that those Jews could return and be forgiven :)

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

:) God is amazing. I've been struggling with this issue for a while now but these verses clearly show you can be forgiven. I understand the verses I posted in my earlier post that it was actually talking about, if the Jews went back to Judaism and making animal sacrifices instead of continuing to believe in Jesus's once and for all atonement for all of our sins, their hearts wouldn't be able to be softened to repentance because they are turning back to Judaism and believing Jesus to not be enough. but, if they again turned back from Judaism to believing in Jesus again, I think they would be forgiven. 

I don't think it exactly means as I interpreted it the first time with "there is no way their hearts could ever be softened to coming back to Jesus again, period" instead of just, "as long as they continued to rely on animal sacrifices and Judaism to pay for their sins, their hearts wouldn't be able to be softened to true repentance through Jesus"

That's right Emily .   Behold both the goodness and severity of GOD .   He did cast out the unbelieving jews ,  but they can be grafted back in through faith .

ON that note rejoice in the LORD that you have returned .  But better continue in HIS GOODNESS NOW ,  otherwise CHURCH you can be cast out .

SO let us build one another up in the faith .   Let us walk in the Spirit , minding the Spirit and resist the devil and he will flee .

YES our LORD is merciful .    SO let us continue NOW in CHRIST , by the power of HIS grace and take up the cross and obey the SPIRIT .

Get well fed in the holy scriptures .   And if any does err from the truth and one coverts the sinner from the error of his ways , He has saved a soul from death .

Start new today and never look back .  And let us always behold BOTH the GOODNESS and SEVERITY of GOD .  FOR every warning Written for our admonition is for our good .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 12/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, emilylovesjesus said:

This happened to me, I was raised in the Christian church but had some hard experiences being different because I had mental illness and was rejected very often and confused and hurt, I became atheist and eventually got into New Age beliefs and came to realize it was all a lie and missed the relationship with God and Jesus that I had when I was little. I didn't realize that it wasn't just all in my head, and that I actually did have a true relationship with the living God when I was young! I now 100 percent couldn't not believe in God and Jesus even if I wanted to. but there are a few verses in the bible that trouble me, for example:

Hebrews 6: 4-6

"4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 [c]if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame."

am I really forgiven? I feel and see God working in my life, but these doubts I get of if God will truly judge me as forgiven in the end on Judgement day keep popping up (and cause me to experience a lot of fear and depression).

Yes, absolutely you can come back. It happened to as well. You said your faith is much stronger now, yes? That's one reason God allows such things. Our faith is made stronger in adversity. Or it's like you appreciate a sweet peach more after biting into a bitter one. I've found that time spent away from God (due to my ignorance) makes me love Him all the more when I believe again. Our God is indeed good, glorious, powerful, forgiving, willing to wait 50+ years for 1 of us if necessary.   

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

This is a very important and valid question that you asked and it should be addressed according to scripture.  The prodigal son came to mind immediately as others have mentioned and it shows the love of God for his children.  Let me take a slightly different take to this and give my understanding as to scripture.

Romans 6 as is quoted below shows that when we accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, something happened to us, that is we were baptized into his death [rom 6:3 vs 9 said that Jesus cannot die again .  So in my theology, one cannot be born again and loose his salvation and then regain it.

We do have to recognize that we have a adversary  that is crafty and we will be allowed to be tried and tested to the max as in the case of the man JOB of the book of JOB.   How deep and to what extent would that be to every believer journey in this life, would be a personal one.  The Lord has promised us that he would never leave us nor forsake us and we have to live in that promise and word when we have faced the circumstances that you have faced and instead of the worry of judgement, turn that into praise and thanks to our mighty God who is able to keep us.

we being lost in the wilderness of a while is no licence for the believer to sin or for others to take it as serving two masters and then finally coming home. Those thoughts are foolish as no one knows the hour he would be called home.   Satan can throw some pretty nasty hard ball and we have to stay in our crease and bat, knowing the home run is already hit and we must believe it.    JOB, was a righteous man and had to go through a lot of pain and suffering, but he endured and the Lord took care of the situation.   

If you fear the Lord and has been through the ordeals, the Lord already knew your heart and maybe allowed these trials in your life.   You fear the Lord repented and accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and savior is really all that matters.  Rejoice and know that you are his son/daughter and forgiven. 

Romans 6 King James Version (KJV)

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Edited by warrior12