• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/20/2018 at 4:38 PM, MyLordsServant said:

It's interesting clearly conflicting verses like this, no one can answer without giving multiple options for answers, showing they don't know but rather hope one of these fits. Which only makes people doubt more. This is the full verse in context. "For the Son of Man will come in His Father’s glory with His angels, and then He will repay each one according to what he has done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.” Jesus didn't come with his angels and he hadn't judged(re-payed) anyone.

Which puts in context what Jesus meant when he said, "Son of Man coming in His kingdom". He meant coming with angels and judgment. -Hasn't happened. Jesus wasn't referencing a transfiguration. Whenever it references to "the coming of the Son of Man". It refers to the end times/judgement. Not an event like Jesus ascending or transfiguring. In fact it says, "coming" not "going"(ascending).

Also another verse, Jesus says "So also, when you see all these things, you will know that He is near, right at the door. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened." In context, the disciples came privately asking Jesus what will the signs be of the temple destruction, also the sign of Jesus' return. Jesus explained the events to come before the temple destruction and his return.

First Jesus answered 2 questions with one answer. He said when those things happen, you will know He is right at the door(meaning the Son of Man returning).

Second, he says "...will not pass until ALL" the things he listed will happen. So when Jesus refers to "THIS GENERATION", if he indeed meant that generation, then it's a contradiction?. Because many obvious things have not happened, like Jesus coming and judging. Assuming Jesus meant "race", it would not be in line with other verses using that term or implication. Why wouldn't Jesus just have said "race" instead of generation? Those are clearly distinct significant terms. Why wouldn't Jesus have said, "that generation" instead of "this"? Why say "this generation" at all? It makes no sense for Jesus to say, "your race will not die until all these things happen". A verse later Jesus says, no one knows the day or the hour, not even Him. Then how would Jesus predict such a short time frame, meanwhile it's been 2k years?

So in verses like this. Is Jesus predicting his return within a single generation (0-100 years?).

Hi @MyLordsServant!

I don't have a strong opinion on this yet.

Do you have an hypothesis that you find more convincing than others? Thanks!

Edited by listener24

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  479
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, listener24 said:

Hi @MyLordsServant!

Hi don't have a strong opinion on this yet.

Do you have an hypothesis that you find more convincing than others? Thanks!

The more I search, the less I seem to find.

People stick to the idea that Son of Man coming means: Holy Spirit coming or transfiguration. However verse after verse like these point the other direction.

"The heavenly bodies will be shaken" (Matt. 24:29; Mark 13:24; Luke 21:25, 26).* Only then will appear "the sign of the Son of Man" in the sky: "They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory" (Matt. 24:30)

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats"

Every verse Jesus uses "this generation" applies to the contemporary generation.

"A wicked and adulterous generation demands a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Then He left them and went away."

“O unbelieving generation!” Jesus replied. “How long must I remain with you? How long must I put up with you?"

"The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation, and condemn it" (Matt. 12:41).

"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels" (Mark 8:38).

"And so upon you will come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I tell you, all these things will come upon this generation."

"You will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord'" (Matt. 23:39).

Mark 14:62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

"Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen" (Rev. 1:7).

"For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again."  Matthew 24:21

"At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will" Daniel 12:1 

Immediately after the distress of those days “ ‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’ Matthew 24:29

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,738
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Remember that there were multiple prophecies that were not fulfilled at the time of Jesus departure.  The disciples were anticipating the restoration of Israel?  Hence the reason they asked Him before He departed,

Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:6‭-‬8 NKJV

And we are awaiting the fulness of the Gentiles,

For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. Romans 11:25 NKJV

What did Jesus give us as a sign of His return?

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! See! Your house is left to you desolate; for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord !’ ” Matthew 23:37‭-‬39 NKJV

God bless

George 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

4 hours ago, listener24 said:

Why wouldn't Jesus just have said "race" instead of generation?

This discussion got me wondering if the ancient languages even had separate words for Race and Generation. I remember learning in school that modern English has many more words for a thing than even other modern languages do, such as Spanish or Italian. I'm also almost sure I read yrs ago that the word translated as generation could also be translated as race as well as a few other English words. The translators had to choose the word they felt was correct. In any case, the people of Jesus time would have known what he meant.