• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone. First post here.

I have been a Christian my whole life. I have not always followed my faith, but it has always been there.

In 2009, after 24 years of marriage, I divorced my wife and pursued another woman. I married that other woman. 4 years later, we divorced. 2 years later, I married again, to my current wife, who is a Christian as well (My second wife wasn't a Christian). My first wife has remained single, choosing to wait for my return, in prayer and supplication. As I write this, she waits.

I turned from Gods word and knowingly sinned. I allowed the devil to devour me. I admit it. There is no-one here in this forum that can be harder on me than I am to myself. God has placed this on my heart recently, and is convicting me of my sin, and leading me to repentance. Which brings me to my point:

What does repentance look like? A simple acknowledment of my sin? Divorcing my current wife to reconcile with my first wife--the mother of my children and wife of my youth? Beating myself with a whip?

Now, before any of you answer, I am aware how sensitive this topic is. I do not ask it lightly. I have read countless posts that tip-toe around this like it's the plague. I am aware of relative scripture. I also know that there will be multiple opinions. But, in your replies, it just might be that God shows me the answer. And that is what I am seeking.

So please, type away and let me know your opinions--and if it is possible--make it scriptural.

Thank you in advance. 

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Shalom Hawkdriver,

Our Father in Heaven loves his children and it says in Hebrews, those He loves He chastises ...

Heb 12:5  And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. 
Heb 12:6  For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” 
Heb 12:7  It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 
Heb 12:8  If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 
Heb 12:9  Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 

So it sounds as if you went through your period of rebellion, and chastisement, now is the time for restoration!

2Co 7:9  As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. 
2Co 7:10  For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. 

Remember that David was restored ... after his sin with Bathsheba ... 

Psa 51:1  To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. 
P
sa 51:2  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 
Psa 51:3  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. 
Psa 51:4  Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. 
Psa 51:5  Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. 
Psa 51:6  Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. 
Psa 51:7  Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 
Psa 51:8  Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. 
Psa 51:9  Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 
Psa 51:10  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. 
Psa 51:11  Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. 
Psa 51:12  Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. 
Psa 51:13  Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. 
Psa 51:14  Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. 
Psa 51:15  O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 
Psa 51:16  For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. 
Psa 51:17  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 
Psa 51:18  Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem; 
Psa 51:19  then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar. 

As Paul addressed the Corinithian church, this is my heart to you as well,

2Co 13:8  For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. 
2Co 13:9  For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. Your restoration is what we pray for. 
2Co 13:10  For this reason I write these things while I am away from you, that when I come I may not have to be severe in my use of the authority that the Lord has given me for building up and not for tearing down. 

I trust the Lord will give you a repentant heart to seek Him with all that you have,

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,803
  • Content Per Day:  7.96
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

There will not be one soul at Heaven's gates that will not be fully reliant upon Jesus' own Life of perfection to admit them into eternal dwelling with The Father.... we simply and sorrowfully fail him here, this world, often and will need His Life a covering of our own.... As my brother in The Lord has pointed out to you David's forgiveness, sin with Bathsheba, but the consequences will not cease till home! The most important advice above is the immediate of aligning your heart with God in the present on... as the past is left with God at the judgment seat of Christ if you are His.  I remind you again of George's council

2 Cor 7:10

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
KJV

it is The Godly portion of the born again to have His Holy Spirit within them and the flesh is at war with us there... 
It was the flesh that you listened to when you left the first... God hates divorce 

Mal 2:15-16

15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
KJV

It is done you have done the hated thing.... now cease from and return to Him in repentance and walk with Him now in s/Spirit

Gal 5:16-23

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
KJV

do the work onward of obedience for His deserving of Glory...

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 12/21/2018 at 5:16 PM, Hawkdriver1965 said:

What does repentance look like? A simple acknowledment of my sin? Divorcing my current wife to reconcile with my first wife--the mother of my children and wife of my youth? Beating myself with a whip?

A key part of repentance is to quit the sin. In your case this means if this marriage doesn't work out do not marry yet another woman. Even if your present wife should die I say don't marry a new woman. Don't repeat the original sin for any reason even if it means being alone the rest of your life. If you current wife dies you might be able to go back to your very first wife. However, opinions vary on this and I'll say even though she's a Christian you may never have peace with her. She's also a human being and may have resentment even she isn't aware of.

But you are married again, you made vows before God to this woman and now you're obligated to honor them.

I enjoyed your, beat yourself with a whip, comment. I doubt you will have to, remember what happened with David after his sins with Bathsheba. God forgave him, maybe Bathsheba even forgave him if she had learned to whole truth. But there were still consequences to his sins. I read somewhere (maybe in a commentary) that David had to live with some guilt because of what he did. Also remember to always keep the Lord as a part of your life from now on.