SkilletFan

Help me with Philosophy

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, SkilletFan said:

I want to know more about Philosophy. Primarily, I want to know more about the Philosophy of how we as humans perceive things. If anyone can help me out or we can have a nice little PM conversation about it, let me know.

No tricks though :). I'd rather have people who believe that the teachings of the Bible are more important than free, modern-day human thought. Because I just know if you believe otherwise and make it clearly known, we really won't get along the greatest. I have to learn from my mistakes and not be misled by people with fancy new ideas but no way of weighing them. No offense, just going by life experience and saying what works for me.

I got a secrete .

We need to know no such thing .

And yes I used to be all into philosophy and physcology and science and so on .

But here is what I have learned , After coming to Christ .    Worry not what to say ,   For my Father will give you a mouth .

Either they accept or reject .  BUT GOD knows exactly what needs to get said , AND He will give you a mouth .

Not only do I believe this ,  I KNOW IT .

Follow JESUS and you WONT be misled period .    I have learned that too .

Just trust in Him as a child .    His lambs know His voice and need none of mans wisdom to overcome anything .  In fact

we cannot even win souls by the wisdom of men or philosophies ,  or great words ,   lest the cross of Christ become of no effect .

To the jews a stumbling block to the greeks who were so philosophically wise , foolishness.

BUT to us who are HIS ,  A GREAT TREASURE OF UPMOST BEAUTY .      OH , just bask in the peace of the Lord . He knows what words to give us .  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

10 minutes ago, SkilletFan said:

I think your posts are quite a valuable asset to this site, and I wanted to tell you... I will listen and adjust.

Most of the other posts are on a similar line and telling me to be cautious of Philosophy rather than on studying it. I'm not only going to listen, but I want you guys to hold me accountable not to become too interested in it. So as a recap, I am done asking for means to study more Philosophy. Because you are right... It's just getting in my way.

You are loved too skillet .    Oh let us rejoice in the Lord .  I have found great peace in reading the bible more and more too.

We look out for one another .     I had a wonderful communion today and we prayed for our loved sister turtle too also .     I enjoy her poems .

Well, enjoy the rest of the evening and oh let us rejoice in and praise the LORD .

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 2

On 12/25/2018 at 10:20 PM, Michael37 said:

You can get into some very murky waters on both counts, philosophy and perception. Universities provide philosophy courses that include religious studies and lump all abstract ideologies together as phenomenom of the human need to know, believe, and worship. Unfortunately these courses often teach that Christianity is based on legends, myths, and collections of wisdom passed down through the generations, and that it has these features in common with all other religions as a result of man's desire to know, believe and worship someone or something.

Quote from French philosopher René Descartes:

(Fr) Je pense, donc je suis - (L) Cogito, ergo sum - (Eng) I think, therefore I am.

Basically, regardless of what you know, believe, or worship, the fact that you want to do any or all of these means you exist. Whoopee. You are at the pinnacle of philosophy if you understand this! 😂

It seems to me you have no idea what you're talking about.

4 hours ago, LuftWaffle said:

It seems to me you have no idea what you're talking about.

What are you waffling about?

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, SkilletFan said:

I want to know more about Philosophy. Primarily, I want to know more about the Philosophy of how we as humans perceive things. If anyone can help me out or we can have a nice little PM conversation about it, let me know.

No tricks though :). I'd rather have people who believe that the teachings of the Bible are more important than free, modern-day human thought. Because I just know if you believe otherwise and make it clearly known, we really won't get along the greatest. I have to learn from my mistakes and not be misled by people with fancy new ideas but no way of weighing them. No offense, just going by life experience and saying what works for me.

The basic biblical foundation of philosophy or what we can call biblical philosophy is the book of Ecclesiastes.

The pursuits of this world, and "this world" being important to point out, are but vanity, empty. No matter what a man amasses in this life he goes to the grave the same as a poor man. A man who has all this life could dream looks over his realm and watches an old impoverished man jesting and messing with his grandchildren, laughing and full of joy and peace in the love of those children. Himself who has everything is empty, lonely, not knowing if those around him are there because they like him or because he is who he is. But both end in the grave, naked and with nothing.   

Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount told us to set our treasures in heaven where moths and rust do not destroy. 

Make the best out of a bad situation. In this world, everything is in a state of deterioration, our hope is in the resurrection unto eternal life where moths and rust have no effect. 

Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 

But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearing to the body. The conclusion when all has been heard is: fear God and keep His commandments because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgement, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.    

So anyway getting a basic understanding of  Greek philosophy can help in understanding what Paul was up against and some of the Gnosticism the early church in the west faced. The apostle John in his second epistle stated the teaching that was going around that Christ did not come in the flesh is anti-christ. The word becoming flesh was a problem for the greek mind because their thought process of divinity and the flesh produced a Hercules, something superhuman but not a god either. So an example of early teaching would be something like if you were walking with Jesus in the sand there would only be one set of footprints and they would be yours, he was a spiritual illusion or something like that. Paul deals with that mentality in Colossians making the statement that the fullness of the Godhead dwells within Him bodily. Real flesh, real blood. The humanity of Jesus needed to be emphasised. Paul preaching the gospel in Acts 17:30, 31  makes the statement that God has appointed a "man" to judge the world, cutting right through and emphasizing Jesus humanity which the Greeks struggled with but needed to be tasked with in teaching.

So as a suggestion when venturing into these things, do it in prayer with the hope the knowledge will illuminate doctrine and grow your ability in giving an answer to the hope that lies within. Also, the Platonic philosophy the west was built on has been flipped over to the other side of early Greek philosophy, that being more environmental along the lines of where does man fit within nature rather than mans responsibility over nature in the Judeo-Christian sense of dominion from the garden. It's why the intellectuals who have come against Platonism hate Christianity with such irrationality, to them it's a Platonic religion and they hate Platonism because it has produced capitalism that is destroying the earth so they, in short, have flipped the coin. It's still hellenistic just the other side of the coin.

There was a split in early Greek philosophy, according to them from fragments that have been found of writings. For more than one hundred years intellects have been pursuing the destruction of platonic thinking because nature worship is the bases of world religion. It's the spirit of the age, the spirit of antichrist.

As Jesus stated, "Father forgive them, they know not what they do." The world will pursue worldly things 'trusting in this life' and every deception of Satan is to get Gods children to do the same. 

Edited by Zemke
  • Thumbs Up 1

We were made in God's Image - our perceptions are rooted in God's Image:

1)  God's sense of justice programmed into us (Romans 1-2).  All cultures understand that lying, stealing, and murder are wrong.

2)  God's sense of beauty - we love beautiful natural views of mountains, flowers, etc.

3)  God's sense of love where we desire to give to others without a motive of gaining an advantage.

4)  The desire to live on (God has set eternity in the hearts of men - Ecclesiastes 3

Etc, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is a Moral Argument for the existence of God.

Consider the following:

(1) If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties don't exist.

(2) If evil exists, objective moral values and duties exist.

(3) Evil exists.

(4) Therefore, objective moral values and duties do exist.

(5) Therefore, God exists.

6) Therefore, God is the locus of all objective moral values and duties.

I am not sure who first formulated this version of the Moral Argument, but it was probably a Greek philosopher or theologian. 

I am also aware of versions of the Cosmological Argument, including my own Set Theory argument for the existence of God.