noblenut

can a person stop sinning

2 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Once that is accomplished , there comes another type of repentance in the life of the Believer, an automatic sorrow and regret for sinning that can lead to an abandonment of that sin

Precisely....   Even after salvation, Christians fall short; and when we abide in Christ and use the Word as a mirror, we live repentantly, always striving to look more like Jesus.  We know ourselves as we really are, but we thank God for continually removing our sin from us and seeing us spotless through the blood of His Son.

The habitual sinner in Romans 7 is our old flesh body, the one that is going to keep on sinning even when it doesn't want to.  As Paul points out in verse 11, this kind of sin deceives and kills.  Anyone who continues trying to live in the flesh body cannot be a believer.  The other type of sinner in Romans 7 is a believer who has recognized that he cannot keep the law, that it has separated him from God, and he needs a way back.  He has repented of sin and wants it out of his life.  He confesses that only Jesus can remove the sin stains from him. This sinner walks in the Spirit, the gift he receives at salvation.  

Romans 7:24-25 says, "O wretched man that I am!  Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!  So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

We are reconciled to God in Christ, and He is the only answer.  Hallelujah!  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

36 minutes ago, PromisesPromises! said:

Precisely....   Even after salvation, Christians fall short; and when we abide in Christ and use the Word as a mirror, we live repentantly, always striving to look more like Jesus.  We know ourselves as we really are, but we thank God for continually removing our sin from us and seeing us spotless through the blood of His Son.

The habitual sinner in Romans 7 is our old flesh body, the one that is going to keep on sinning even when it doesn't want to.  As Paul points out in verse 11, this kind of sin deceives and kills.  Anyone who continues trying to live in the flesh body cannot be a believer.  The other type of sinner in Romans 7 is a believer who has recognized that he cannot keep the law, that it has separated him from God, and he needs a way back.  He has repented of sin and wants it out of his life.  He confesses that only Jesus can remove the sin stains from him. This sinner walks in the Spirit, the gift he receives at salvation.  

Romans 7:24-25 says, "O wretched man that I am!  Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!  So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

We are reconciled to God in Christ, and He is the only answer.  Hallelujah!  

Amen, Promises... We are saved by grace when we confess the name of Jesus as our Lord and Savior, and we know that nothing but the blood of Jesus at the Cross can save us.  As believers, we continually fall short of the glory of God and with a repentant heart, we confess our sins to our heavenly Father and He continually forgives us. 

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9.

God longs to be gracious to us and rises to show us compassion.  :emot-heartbeat: Selah . . .

• Thumbs Up 2

Does sin and repent , sin and repent, sin and repent, sin and repent does it change us.

Didn't Jesus come to fix the problem of sin and repent ? not just look the other way.

What is sin ? Where does it come from ? Why does it happen ? Jesus said "What come from the heart defiles the man" 

Matthew 15:18-19 (KJV)
18  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19  For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Proverbs 23:7 (KJV)
7  For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he

2 Corinthians 7:1 (KJV) 1  Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

James 4:8 (KJV) 8  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

1 John 1:9 (KJV) 9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

How does the cleansing work on our heart ?

Ephesians 5:26 (KJV)
26  That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Forgiveness of our sins or washing our sin away  doesn't change us . We are what we are until we are changed. Jesus can do that if we want to change.

Matthew 5:8 (KJV)
8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SelahSong said:

As believers, we continually fall short of the glory of God and with a repentant heart, we confess our sins to our heavenly Father and He continually forgives us. 

Actually what you believe,  is not not why you  remain saved.

See, what you are saying, and believing, is that you are the one that keeps yourself saved, by doing something.........and that something is "confessing sin".    So, if this is true, then The Cross is meaningless, the Blood Atonement is useless, and what matters, ONLY<  is that you confess your sin, and by doing THAT, you are saying that God will keep you, as long as, and IF you continue to do it.

So, you are basing your eternal life, and your eternal security on "confessing sin", instead of basing  it ONLY on the Blood of Jesus being shed as the means to be saved and the only REASON that God will ever accept you on the day you are saved, or any day after.

God will never accept you, because you confess sin. He will only accept you because the Blood Atonement has been applied to you., and you do not confess sin to get this, or to keep it.

Its a GIFT, and has nothing to do with confessing, or not confessing...sin.

So what you are believing is not salvation.  Its  not Grace.  And it has nothing to do with being born again, or "staying saved".

You do not confess your sin so that God will keep you saved, any more then you confess your sin to become born again.    You confess your sin, if you feel you need to do it, because you have a guilty conscience that is interfering with your fellowship, with your "feelings" that you have, when you think about God and Christ.

We do not save ourselves or keep ourselves saved, by confessing SIN.   But rather we become born again and remain eternally born again for the very same reason, and that reason is because we trusted Christ as our Savior, and God then accepted our faith TO SAVE US.......and this is based not on "confessing sin", but its only based on the Blood of Jesus being applied to us, once and forever.

Edited by Behold
  • Brilliant! 1

After your a christian, sin separates us from God disrupts the fellowship,  but confession and repentance restores the fellowship as it was prior to the sin.  Keeping in mind that christians have this promise nothing can separate us from the Love of God.  Romans 8 and Prodigal Son parable

Even Peter sinned.  

Galatians 2:11-13 New Living Translation (NLT)

Paul Confronts Peter

11 But when Peter came to Antioch, I had to oppose him to his face, for what he did was very wrong. 12 When he first arrived, he ate with the Gentile believers, who were not circumcised. But afterward, when some friends of James came, Peter wouldn’t eat with the Gentiles anymore. He was afraid of criticism from these people who insisted on the necessity of circumcision. 13 As a result, other Jewish believers followed Peter’s hypocrisy, and even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy.

I heard this and I like it.  Christians sin less but are not sinless.  

1 John 1:9 makes it clear we can sin.  If we are honest with ourselves we know we are christians and sometimes we sin by what we have done or maybe not done.  God is so good to forgive us and his mercy and love is so great.  I Praise God for his love and forgiveness. 

• Praise God! 3

Posted (edited)

Ephesians 2:8-9 

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Grace is the source, and faith is the means by which we obtain the grace of God. It is through our faith that we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and are born from above.

Before Jesus died, at the Temple of God in Jerusalem, a veil separated the presence of God from men. When Jesus was crucified, that veil was torn in two and now we can boldly approach God, repent and be forgiven. (Hebrews. 4:16). This is why Jesus died for me and for you! So that we could be made acceptable to God!  

God is Holy and cannot look upon sin. That is why God sent Jesus into this world.  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is for today.  What an awesome price He paid for us.  He died so that we could be made holy and acceptable through Himself.  When we repent, God looks on us and sees the precious blood of Jesus, and He sees us as righteous!  And Jesus continuously makes intercession for those who believe in His name. We must continuously repent for our sins because this was God's plan for us through the Cross--that we might be made Holy. Hallelujah! 

Selah:emot-heartbeat:

Edited by SelahSong
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes God wants us to be holy and righteous.  He has done that for us legally, but He also has changed our hearts so that we also want to reflect the life of Jesus.  We are being changed from glory to glory as we gaze at Jesus in the word.  

2Co 3:18 ESV But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

But even Paul said he had not attained perfection but he pressed on to the high calling of Jesus.  We will never be perfect as He is until we get to heaven.  As soon as we think we have attained perfection we become self righteous.  We can't see our own faults but everyone else can.  That is why David prayed: 

Psa 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:  Psa 139:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

It is solely because of the Spirit of Christ dwelling in us that we are worthy of heaven.  Our salvation is a gift because we can't do it in our own strength or righteousness.  That is grace.  We have this Treasure in earthen vessels.  We are made of clay and our only claim to perfection is Christ in us.  

1Co 1:28  ESV God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 1Co 1:29  so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.

1Co 1:30  And because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 1Co 1:31  so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 2

It was said

But even Paul said he had not attained perfection but he pressed on to the high calling of Jesus.  We will never be perfect as He is until we get to heaven.

But Paul did make mentioned that someone was perfect.

Phil.3:15  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Hebrews 13:20-21 (KJV)
20  Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
21  Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 (KJV)
23  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Seem like we need to be perfect(blameless) at the coming of our Lord.

It Would take a miracle from God for us if we could become sinless in this life, it would really take the Almighty God's power to do this.     Can he do it ? 

Woe ! Is  Satan stronger tempting our flesh than God giving us the victory over the flesh ? huumm

As we go forward in the walk of faith, we must trust God to take us as we are ,where we are and do the work within us that changes us from the inside out.He will continue the work that HE started and will get us to whatever point we need to be at whatever time we need to be there.HE is the potter and we are the clay.We do the best we can with our faith in His Promises and we try out of wisdom to be as obedient as we can be.Having said that— God is the One who has ultimate control AND the ultimate burden—- He has promises to fulfill, despite our weaknesses and rebellion at times.