• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,537
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all,

In seeking out other matters of interest this morning I came across a list regarding Charles Spurgeon that included the following:

"According to your Faith, be it unto you

Mr. Spurgeon often told the story of his first student, who came to him complaining that he had been preaching for some months and had not heard of a single conversion. "And do you expect," said Mr. Spurgeon, "that the Lord is going to bless you and save souls every time you open your mouth?"

"No, sir," he replied.

"Well, then," said Mr. Spurgeon, "that is why you do not get souls saved. If you had believed, the Lord would have given the blessing."

The young man was nicely caught, but many others would have answered in the same way."

Found at: https://www.wordsearchbible.com/products/21054/sample_text

I was looking for Spurgeon's comment to a man that claimed superiority over Spurgeon's understanding of the Bible as the man claimed many full readings of the Bible per year. Mr. Spurgeon in response simply added. If you are reading it that many times per year I think you may be reading it too fast.

I think of that one when people try to discourage me by claiming their ability to read through the Bible many times, while I an Evelyn Woods speed reading course failure struggle so. Fortunately my pastor spends much time in his own reading and study then leads me along with others in slow detailed reading and exposition. That I can keep up with nicely! -Though, I did  think nearly six years of Sundays to get through the book of Matthew might have been excessive considering the average life span of humans and my present age.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,537
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Being a salesman, excuse please, make that a salesperson, for much of my life, I find the Spurgeon comment to his first student very interesting and  pretty much a fact in life- Always assume the sale. If the sale is not assumed  from the get go there  won't be success at the end of any venture very often.

Assume success when sharing of our Lord Jesus with an unsaved world. Success may not come at the moment non the less assume the deal is sealed, that God has wanted the presentation made and that it is done to His Glory and not the glory of the saint that shares of Jesus' sacrifice made at the cross.

Share of the Gospel be bold assume success comes from the obedience to God's command.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

The Bible read once with an understanding that was given by the Holy Spirit trumps countless readings with no insight into what one is reading.Men as Brilliant as Thomas Jefferson were blind as they read the Scriptures—- he cut out anything he did not agree with , especially any miracles.He “ knew” miracles could not happen.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I think of that one when people try to discourage me by claiming their ability to read through the Bible many times, while I an Evelyn Woods speed reading course failure struggle so. Fortunately my pastor spends much time in his own reading and study then leads me along with others in slow detailed reading and exposition. 

"study to show yourself-thyself approved".

"study".

To study, is not the same as to "read".

Read a novel, read a comic book, read directions regarding how to bake a cake, read the info page in your TV cable guide,...........

However = STUDY the bible. (as directed). :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

Love Spurgeon, learned much practical advice from him.

I'm a fast reader and as a young Christian that is how I consumed the the Word, but slowly and surely the Holy Spirit slowed me down to the point where He causes me to camp on a single word and study it, ...i.e., biblical names are phenomenal, so much Truth to be gleaned from them that add to the narrative, ...and numbers too! 

• Thumbs Up 1