IGNORED

Is it possible to be a Christian if you have a heavy mental illness?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I ask because I'm having a hard time with my anxiety to the point I contemplate medication. 

I know some may see it as a lack of faith but I feel unless you have a mental illness or cared for someone with one..you won't understand. It's not imo

So..I'm just wondering those with heavy mental illness( bipolar, schizophrenia, OCD) 

How do you still follow God? 

How did you reconcile faith despite using medication ? 

And I hope this thread isn't offensive or against any rules.. 

I really don't want it deleted as I'm looking for answers. 

My illness keeps me from pursuing my dream, worries me about living alone because I'm afraid I'll probably lose it if I do. 

It's just really bad right now. 

I'd love to hear from people going through the same thing as I am.

Edited by Figure of eighty

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

How do you reconcile faith and medicine?

I have MUCH faith in God and his provision for doctors and medications.  Faith is not a shunning of  material things or medications and doctors.  Faith is knowing that God heals through many means - supernaturally and naturally.

I've used meds and prayer/bible study for my anxieties. 

• This is Worthy 1

2 minutes ago, Jayne said:

How do you reconcile faith and medicine?

I have MUCH faith in God and his provision for doctors and medications.  Faith is not a shunning of  material things or medications and doctors.  Faith is knowing that God heals through many means - supernaturally and naturally.

I've used meds and prayer/bible study for my anxieties. 

Yeah that is true he heals through many means.

Sometimes I feel I don't deserve to be free ...sometimes I kind of feel it's impossible because I feel Ike in life we have troubles and I feel it's a cross to carry sometimes..I don't know

But thanks for your response.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

Hello Figure of eighty

Its not at all offensive least not with me anyway! I struggle with anxiety and depression and its messed my life up somewhat.

I have had to do the medication route but then back in 2016, I had a sudden severe adverse reaction to the medication and then later a supplement.

All through this I have kept my eye fixed on the Lord. As that is all there is really imo. The world is temporary and also quite dark.

Recently I have had another health set back. But again I still continue to keep my eyes on the Lord. I have lifted it to the Lord as there is nothing else I can do. I don’t do the what if this what if that as tempting as that is eeek.

So yeah with mental illness I can still keep my eyes on the Lord. And best to avoid/reduce exposure where you can to  folk that do focus on what I call negative thinking.

I am constantly reading the bible its now 4 and a half years doing this . that helps to fortify me.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I agree with pepper....     as long as the medication doesn't interfere but helps with you using common sense in dealing with life.. 

25 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

Hello Figure of eighty

Its not at all offensive least not with me anyway! I struggle with anxiety and depression and its messed my life up somewhat.

I have had to do the medication route but then back in 2016, I had a sudden severe adverse reaction to the medication and then later a supplement.

All through this I have kept my eye fixed on the Lord. As that is all there is really imo. The world is temporary and also quite dark.

Recently I have had another health set back. But again I still continue to keep my eyes on the Lord. I have lifted it to the Lord as there is nothing else I can do. I don’t do the what if this what if that as tempting as that is eeek.

So yeah with mental illness I can still keep my eyes on the Lord. And best to avoid/reduce exposure where you can to  folk that do focus on what I call negative thinking.

I am constantly reading the bible its now 4 and a half years doing this . that helps to fortify me.

Hmm. I'll try.. I guess praying in the spirit will help. Sometimes I have issues reading the Bible ... Sometimes it's anxiety but for the most part I feel a bit bored...how do u krp your eyes stayed on God?

26 minutes ago, naominash said:

Sister, 

Let me just tell you:

Jesus changes everything. Even in during my most severe episodes in the past, His presence was an enormous comfort. 

Even though I had to avoid books on angels and demons for a while, I credit my recovery to the Lord.

Medication is your business, not anyone else's. Do what's best for you to get better and let everyone one else adjust or leave you alone.

It is not a lack of faith to be on medication. I was just as much a believer on the meds as I am now, since I've reduced them.

Follow the Lord, but in everything else, do what's best for you and everyone else' opinion doesn't matter. Will they pay for your expenses if you need extra care? If no, then their opinion doesn't matter no matter how spiritual they sound.

Don't let them tell you you can't do your dream either. You may have to monitor your sleep and stress and not take on too many commitments. But your future is in God's hands. You don't know yet what He will do in your life.

They told me I would never leave the facility. Well guess what? I work full-time, have a husband and am wondering the best time for kids.

You can do anything. It may take some time and you may need a break from school or work. You may need to take 3 classes at a time rather than 5 or 6. But you can do anything. Considering you were coherent enough to write this post, you are most likely very brilliant with a high chance if functioning given the right self-care and treatment.

No matter how bad it gets, remember. God is still there. He doesn't depend our mental health to be God. He is the Lord. He has the final say over your health. 

(I was diagnosed bipolsr Schizoaffective. That was five years ago. I'm not looking back)

What an amazing story. I'm happy for you. My goal is just to be on my own./get my own apartment.  I'm a pusher so despite being afriad of my illness overcoming me. I push to reach my goals... 

But thank you. I hope I'll have a nice turn around like you did. 

Right now I just have small goals. Just getting my own place, a better paying job ( thru school) and perhaps a nother car.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

this is how it is with me it may be different with you. but for the longest time i kept having the thought of i need to read the old testament a sense of urgency, that in the end i did just that

life is full of distractions and i have done a lot of them!! and finally all that is left is the bible that is where God got me to i believe.

ah for me each time i read the bible i have a different focus and that is what keeps it interesting.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Suffering comes in many shapes and forms, and so does comfort in the midst of suffering...thankfully!

2Co 1:3-10
(3)  Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
(4)  Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
(5)  For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds by Christ.
(6)  And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation.
(7)  And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so shall you be also of the consolation.
(8)  For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life:
(9)  But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raises the dead:
(10)  Who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

I'm afraid this isn't going to be very well accepted, but please consider this in prayer and the Word.

Just to let you know we are on the same page, I've been crazy, not the political correct "mentally ill, but totally crazy, couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time, when out in public I imagined I saw people trying to kill me, talking to myself 24/7, couldn't sleep, didn't bathe, didn't eat, my mind spinning at 100 trillion miles per second, ...diagnosed schizophrenic, paranoid, depressive.

County Mental Health was going to lock me up, they considered me to be a danger to myself and others, but God...., now I know it was God intervening in my life before I was even born again, ...for some strange reason they made me an out patient on the condition I took their drugs, the very first time I took their drugs I started to get high, the time-space dimension shifted, the door was open and I was looking through into another dimension, the dimension where the demons live,  ...just like when I took LSD, that was the first and the last time I took them! 

A friend gave me his Bible with the Words of Jesus in red, I found when reading His Words a peace settled over me, my mind stopped spinning and I could sleep, it took 18 months to become sane, sane enough for Mental Health to release me, ...Father also brought a born again brother into my life, who became my best friend, he always had Scriptures for me when I was down, or slipping back, he was always there for me, always encouraging me to read the Word, to memorize verses, to encourage me and most important, to accept me just as I was, ...totally crazy! 

That was 37 years ago, may I humbly and in the Love of Christ tell you what the Holy Spirit has taught me?

Any and all drugs that causes us to be in an altered state of consciousness, is forbidden for born again children of God, in the New Testament the word for witchcraft is pharmakeia  and it means to take drugs, not aspirin or anti-biotics or medicines like that,  but rather drugs that mess with our minds, mind altering drugs that can open doors into other dimensions that God didn't give to man to experience.

Also, Paul tells us we have been given a sound mind:

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7

and that coupled with:

For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, Rom 8:29

And  (we) have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of Him that created him:  Col 3:10

Jesus was never mentally ill, not in Eternity past, not for the 32 years He walked this Earth and not now as a Man sitting at the right hand of the Father, ...Father knew us from before the foundation of this Earth, He knew exactly what would be happening in your life today, ...you have been predestined from before the world was to be conformed into the image of Jesus, ...yes, we all are different, no one is alike, we all have our pah to walk with our Lord, but..., we all have be predestined, while we are here, to be conformed into the image of out Lord, Jesus Christ!

I've given to you the verses my best friend gave me when I needed them, times when I was slipping back, times when I felt like I was coming on or having a flashback, times when I felt like it was just too hard to go on, it works, may I suggest you memorize these verses and speak them out loud if you are alone or in you heart if not, when you feel like you're slipping back, or it's too hard or anxious, ...these are more than just words in a book, they are reality, ...reality to those that are born again children of God, ...I tend to remind Father in my prayers of what He has promised me, like, "Father You said I have a sound mind," or Father, "You're conforming me into the image of Your Son Jesus Christ."

Dear one, we are in a spiritual war and the battle is being fought in our minds, the enemy of our souls will use our flesh against us, actually we are are own worst enemy, those feeling you feel, that is just your flesh, the old carnal nature talking, energized by the devil, we resist the devil with Scripture and the enemy will flee, just like he did when Jesus quoted Scripture to him, ...remember, the just live by faith, in faith use the promises Father has written in His Word.

One last thing, find a church that teaches the Word of God and not here particular doctrine, and fellowship there, ask for help, there will be someone there Father has already prepared to befriend you, ...you are not alone, you are an important member of the Body of Christ and there is a local body that needs your gift and talents.

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 2