IGNORED

Is it possible to be a Christian if you have a heavy mental illness?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

In response to the OP's question I must say yes, however I also must say that Father can/will/does heal mental illness!

I was taught by my pastor that Gods says what He means and Means what He says, what I have read in His Word is that we are born again, regenerated, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, that God predestined us to be conformed into the Image of His Son Jesus Christ, that I'm now, today, a new creation in Christ, ALL of the old things have passed away (left behind) and All things have become new. ...that means even though my old man still lives with me I don't have to let him rule in my life, to dominate me because I now have the Holy Spirit living inside of me and it's my supreme desire that He guide and direct my life.

Paul tells me the handwriting (charges) against me has been erased, I see the old man, my canal nature, being replaced with a new nature, that of my Lord, Christ Jesus and I can't reconcile in my mind how an incorruptible seed, the same seed that conceived Jesus, can pass on to my new man, my new nature, corruption in the way of mental health problems.

So yes, Christians can have mental health problems left over from the old man, but, I think the story of Jesus walking on water gives us the answer, ...tradition tells us Jewish sailors believed that just before they died at sea they saw a ghost walking on water towards them, the story tells us the the disciples thought Jesus was a ghost and were terribly afraid, He called out to them saying do not be afraid, then Peter said, Jesus if that's really you (and not a ghost) then command me, order me, to come to You and Jesus said Come, ...and Peter stepped out of the boat and walked on water. 

Peter's belief in what Jesus had said was more powerful, more convincing, more believable to him at that moment than the wind and the waves that were tossing the boat.  There were 11 other disciples that didn't, they stayed in the boat, ...I have found from reading Church history, from hearing testimonies, from talking with brothers and sisters that the Lord will present each one of us a walk on water moment, ...it's for us to decide if we are going to step out of the boat or look at the circumstances around us in our lives.

Lord bless