IGNORED

Let's Start a Dialogue

ByFaithAlone

7 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

Thats an interesting response.  Had you asked me previously and maybe I missed it? 

And that's an evasion of a foundation questions, viz, what do you define as your worldview.  I'd like to know whom I am dialoguing with.  It's as simple as that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/14/2019 at 3:46 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

What does a Christian worldview mean to you?

Good question.

To me it means living to follow the 10C, not as a means of gaining salvation, but as a way of judging how I live to gether with the varrious commands from Jesus and the apostles etc to love one another.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Who me said:

Good question.

To me it means living to follow the 10C, not as a means of gaining salvation, but as a way of judging how I live to gether with the varrious commands from Jesus and the apostles etc to love one another.

We put a lot of emphasis on the Old Testament Ten Commandments, but really God gave Moses and the Jews many more commandments.  In the New Testament, Jesus gave us two Commandments greater than all the rest.  The Great Commandment (or Greatest Commandment) is a name used in the New Testament to describe the first of two commandments cited by Jesus in Matthew 22:35–40 and Mark 12:28–34.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2019 at 5:47 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Jesus gave us two Commandments greater than all the rest.

He really gave us only one commandment.

If you Love me you will obey me.

• Praise God! 1

11 hours ago, Who me said:

He really gave us only one commandment.

If you Love me you will obey me.

Mat 22:34  But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together.
Mat 22:35  One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him,
Mat 22:36  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"
Mat 22:37  And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Mat 22:38  "This is the great and foremost commandment.
Mat 22:39  "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Mat 22:40  "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Mar 12:28  One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, "What commandment is the foremost of all?"
Mar 12:29  Jesus answered, "The foremost is, 'HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;
Mar 12:30  AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'
Mar 12:31  "The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
Mar 12:32  The scribe said to Him, "Right, Teacher; You have truly stated that HE IS ONE, AND THERE IS NO ONE ELSE BESIDES HIM;
Mar 12:33  AND TO LOVE HIM WITH ALL THE HEART AND WITH ALL THE UNDERSTANDING AND WITH ALL THE STRENGTH, AND TO LOVE ONE'S NEIGHBOR AS HIMSELF, is much more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
Mar 12:34  When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." After that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.

Jesus speaks of two commandments, specifically, as noted above. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

"What shall I do to inherit eternal life ?" 

Someone asked Jesus directly. 

His answer, directed by ABBA YAHWEH , like all His Words,  are true, and eternally unchanging, as He also said.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

For the fruit of the SPIRIT is in all goodness , righteousness and truth .

If our version of the fruits of the spirit DONT ADD UP TO THIS ,  then we learned mens sensual words .

for I see a love preached by many ,  that aint about goodness, righteousness and truth

I see a joy taught that focuses on self

those nine fruits of the spirit ,   Better line up with the FRUIT of the SPIRIT .   For any love that is of GOD ,  LOVES and REJOICE IN TRUTH , not inquity .

we better flee many a church these days .  I see way to many under a all accepting love instead of one that rejoices IN TRUTH .

11 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Jesus speaks of two commandments, specifically, as noted above. 

John 14v15 “If you love me, keep my commands.  I make that one command.

But I am being pedantic.

10 hours ago, Who me said:

John 14v15 “If you love me, keep my commands.  I make that one command.

But I am being pedantic.

Mat 22:40  "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Jesus said there were two commandments.  His word is good enough for me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,620
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 1/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, ByFaithAlone said:

Ok so it's a long time since I've posted on this forum. I used to be active back in the day but not so much recently. And I used to really enjoy the conversations I had with both believers and nonbelievers on this site regarding science and religion. However, after looking over the forum I have become to notice that things have become rather one sided with believers posting things and demanding that nonbelievers defend against 30-50 bullet points. It all just seems like a phone that only goes one way.  

I am sure that it must be somewhat annoying for nonbelievers and seekers to be "preached" at all the time. Sometimes people just post a block text of things that they want nonbelievers to account for ranging from abiogenesis to cosmology to evolutionary biology. I am not saying that such threads are unimportant or that people should not be asking questions but I think it's time to turn the tables slightly.    

I was interested in starting a dialogue between those of faith and those that are interested in leaning more or curious about why people believe what they believe. On Reddit and other such sites there are Ask Me Anything posts (AMAs) where users get to ask a person anything they want related to the person's profession, etc. So let's open up the game and turn things around. I'm a Christian and a scientist with degrees in chemistry and history. I'm going to be an open book as best I can. I am sure there are questions that I will be unqualified to answer but I will try my best. Other people can hop in with their own responses of course and anyone is free to disagree with me and ask more questions. 

Let's start a dialogue on Science and Faith. AMA. 

I've been in science versus faith debates. It usually goes (in the more civilized discussions) into the agreement posture that since neither of us were there in the beginning and since it cannot be repeated for experimentation / verification that creation or the big bang is a matter of gathering and interpreting the indirect evidences we have today. That is until we get back to the big bang itself (which premise I grant to get them to this point) and ask so where did the big bang come from?

This is when the debate tends to end over superstitious suppositional rhetoric by the scientists. "There was nothing. No matter. No time. No energy."

To which I reply, "and then it exploded?"

Yes. Precisely.

"You do realize how unscientific that conclusion is?"

God forces man to face the truth eventually. But man possessed the characteristic to deny the facts, ignore the truth, cover their eyes and ears if need be.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
― Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers 

So, dialogue if you must... or if God calls you to it... but don't be surprised if it's not very effective.

Edited by JohnD