SINNER'S PRAYER! IS IT BIBLICAL??

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

My question is in the title. Can you share your thoughts about it? Thanks. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

it all depends on what you think "believe" means and what asking Jesus into your heart consists of....

In the teachings of the book of Romans,   it states that if you believe that God raised Jesus from the dead and confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord you will be saved.

question is,  is that what the sinners prayer is saying?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

When I think of the sinner's prayer I think of "God have mercy on me, a sinner".   

This is a person who has been convicted by the Holy Spirit to the point that he knows he is lost and going to hell unless God does something.  It is not a person who is sorry for his sins and has turned away from them but is still trying to be good enough to get to heaven.  It is not someone hoping the good outweighs the bad, either.  The person that I am thinking of is done for, totally humbled.  He gives his life to God and surrenders to Christ as Lord.  He may repeat the prayer a pastor leads him in, but his heart is flat on the floor with nowhere to go, completely unworthy.   

Psa 34:18  The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart,
And saves such as have a contrite spirit.                                                                                                                                                                                       Isa 57:15

For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
“I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

This is entirely biblical.  John the Baptist preached repentance.   Jesus preached repentance.   Paul preached repentance and confessing Jesus as Lord, risen from the dead.  
But we don't know the heart of those who repeat the sinner's prayers.  Some are very genuine and are born again.   Some don't understand the meaning of the term Lord or understand Who Jesus is but they do want salvation.  I think God sees them and continues to draw them and teach them as they hunger for the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.   Some are just joining a club.  
My father in law boasted that he had joined the baptist church and the episcopal church, but the one that did him the most good was the Elks.  It got him the most clients!  After all, he was just a good as the next guy so he sure wasn't going to hell!   We prayed for him and witnessed to him till the end.  It was nice for us, but he didn't want any part of it.:33:

So I think it is presumptuous to assume that every person who repeats the sinners prayer and confesses Christ is born again.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 1/9/2019 at 5:50 AM, SisterCess said:

This is a question about the sinners prayer, and I do not want to say anything against it, only to point somethings about it.

Which prayer serves a propose to lead believers in Jesus Christ to repentance who are  seeking the active help and quidance of the Holly Spirit. 

It is a prayer and I do not want to say something against a prayer. It does not need to be a perfect prayer, for Jesus knows the needs of the believers before they pray, but it is a way for the believers to open their hearts and minds to the help of the Holy Spirit, to accept the help of Jesus Christ in this life, and to become consious of it, and call upon his name in the time of need. Letting go of the dependance upon other saints who have pass away. Just calling on the name of Jesus and seek the help and prayers of other fellow believers. 

Often believers in Jesus Christ see themselves trapped and intangle in the love and lust and sins of this present world, and loose their peace in their heart and minds, living in some fear and being tormented by the devil and then seek the help of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit to help them get out and keep them out. Or others pray the prayer for some other reasons...as seeking the fellowship of the Holy Spirit and the peace it gives in their heart and minds. 

It is not to be saved of Hell, but to be saved from the sinfull ways and from the iniquity and love and lust of this world. And from fear and torment. 

Also is one of the ways to bring peace in one's heart and mind snd conscience..in different matters.

Prayer is needed for the suffering to break loose the beliver from the powers of the darkness, and also Sound teaching can do a good job to remove the fear of Hell, and the punishment of sin , or the fear of the devil , or the threats of the devil in the heart and the mind of a believer. 

It is not to be use to judge other believers if other Christian communities and condemn them to Hell. 

It is not to be used to alleviate the fear of Hell from a believer in Jesus Christ, who already is Saved from Hell, by faith alone in Jesus Christ. .

And if it needs to be done that way, let it be. 

And the need for sound teaching to followed, to understand the redemsion in Jesus Christ.  

Imagine someone with the righteousness of Jesus Christ , being in the bondage of the fear of Hell.

Out of confusion and misunderstanding...

The believer in Jesus Christ is free for the fear of Hell. 

I don't speak against repentance, and against discipleship, please do not misunderstood me.

I am a repented believer and that's what I want, finally learning to live in the Joy of the newest of life, and the peace to live in pleasing Jesus, making Jesus to want to love me in his own special way, and  I do not want and I am not going to trade this with anything else. 

I truly understand what your point about sinner's prayer.. but.. my another question is: Is it okay to lead someone in prayer and ask them to repeat it? 

For me, sinner's prayer is unbiblical.. cause if we are to see what happened in the early Christians, they never got saved because they repeated a sinner's prayer but through faith, repentance and baptism of the Holy Spirit and even in water.. and that's when they became born again.. and that's what I am using as a base that sinner's prayer is unbiblical.. 

Edited by SisterCess

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

“Turn to me, and I will turn to you”.   The Sinner’s Prayer, If spoken from a sincere heart whereas one sees himself as a lost sinner who is pleading for a Savior, knowing he is hopeless without One has “ turned to God” with a contrite, repentant heart. Nothing fancy but it is all one needs to be saved forever.God has promised to finish what He started—— crudely put.....the monkey is on God’s back to fulfill His promise.He will.

p.s. I live close to the Ohio River here in Southern Ohio. There is a small park down at the river where I often stop on my many motorcycle rides.I met a guy who is there every night practicing Bible Songs on his trumpet ( Louie Armstrong , he ain’t ) come rain or shine.He told me he was on his deathbed when he said the Sinners Prayer.He claims it saved him.I believe him.100%.You would too if you met him.You know the type? All he ever wants to do is talk about Jesus. Tiresome to most that listen to him. I have met people like this before. I love it! Nobody will ever convince me that the Sinners Prayer is a waste of time.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

“Turn to me, and I will turn to you”.   The Sinner’s Prayer, If spoken from a sincere heart whereas one sees himself as a lost sinner who is pleading for a Savior, knowing he is hopeless without One has “ turned to God” with a contrite, repentant heart. Nothing fancy but it is all one needs to be saved forever.God has promised to finish what He started—— crudely put.....the monkey is on God’s back to fulfill His promise.He will.

I think the proper way is what the Apostles did back then.. cause what they did really turned the world upside down and many got truly saved..

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, SisterCess said:

I think the proper way is what the Apostles did back then.. cause what they did really turned the world upside down and many got truly saved..

Yes. Repeating the sinners prayer at the behest of an evangeliser is only of benefit if it is sincere, and its sincerity will be obvious by the fruit. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

No, it's not "Biblical" - but that doesn't make it wrong. Lots of things that we do are not "Biblical".

When someone is wanting to become a Christian, it can be a useful tool to help them verbalise their repentance. But like all tools, it can be misused. People can regard it as some kind of mantra and say things like, "If you've prayed the sinner's prayer, then you are a Christian." Or they may think that if you haven't prayed the sinner's prayer, then you're not a Christian! (I was on the receiving end of that mentality quite a lot as a student, because I'd managed to become a Christian without praying any prayer at all).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 1/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, SisterCess said:

The Sinner's prayer is based on the thief on the cross i assume. I think it depends on what the person is saying. The basic principles in speech can be accepted by God.