• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

3 minutes ago, leah777 said:

That scripture is saying not everyone speaks in tongues. 

Is speaking in tongues proof of the Holy Spirit baptism? that scripture appears to say it isnt, its a gift some have, and some dont.

The Assembly of God teaches that it is proof.  I don't agree with that. On Worthy we say that the fruit of the Spirit is evidence:  love joy peace long-suffering, kindness goodness meekness faithfulness and self control.  Also, the Holy Spirit will bear witness in your heart that you are God's child.  You will be able to understand the Scriptures more clearly and see how they apply to your life..  These are all evidence of the Holy Spirit being in your life.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, AgedLace said:

So, did Paul err when he did not seek teaching from the apostles?

[Gal 1:11 NASB]
For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.

[Gal 1:12 NASB]
For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but [I received it] through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

[Gal 1:15 NASB]
But when God, who had set me apart [even] from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased

[Gal 1:16 NASB]
to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood,

[Gal 1:17 NASB]
nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.

[Gal 1:18 NASB]
Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days.

[Gal 1:19 NASB]
But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord's brother.

Hey, lets pick ONE person, in ultra special circumstances, and use him as out benchmark, instead of the teaching of the Epistles as a whole!!

Guest AgedLace
29 minutes ago, leah777 said:

where do I find a teacher

This is the crux of the entire problem.  Trying to find reliable human teachers.  Everybody thinks they have all the right answers and everybody else is wrong.  

God taught me very early on that He did not want me to believe what other people said His Word said.  He made it clear to me that He wanted me to prayerfully read and study His Word by asking Him what His Word meant.  

Recently, God revealed to me that there are false teachers / preachers who teach 90% truth and 10% disception.  People get lazy.  They hear the 90% truth, that when they hear the 10% disception they don't see or recognize it because they're not testing the spirit.

Edited by AgedLace
Removed content that wanted to be edited.

Guest AgedLace
3 minutes ago, AgedLace said:

Sorry, was trying to remove the strike through ... unable to do so.

Edited by AgedLace

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,788
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Just now, leah777 said:

where do I find a teacher

Loved one the begin of searching for God is a working journey in written material - an objective source of which all may come and get the same answer :) God promises us if we are willing to do the work of 

2 Tim 2:16

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

then God will give this below

2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

First one must be certain of The New Birth then eat and drink daily His Word and search this way

Jer 29:13

13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
KJV

as we know The Word of God 'IS' sanctioned by God as His... We all are on different levels of growth in His Word but the closer we draw near to Him in His Word He promises

Heb 10:22-23

22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
KJV

Eph 5:26-27

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
KJV

Rom 10:17

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
KJV

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Anything you receive by direct revelation should be backed by Scripture.  People can be deceived  by not depending on Scripture.  I have heard ridiculous things being a manifestation of the Holy Spirit like making animal sounds or wetting one's pants!.  These are not things found in Scripture.  Preaching the gospel with boldness is one.  Look at Peter before Pentecost denying Christ and afterwards preaching and 5000 people were saved.  The power to preach was one of the things promised in Acts 1.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

Guest AgedLace
16 minutes ago, leah777 said:

Hey, lets pick ONE person, in ultra special circumstances, and use him as out benchmark, instead of the teaching of the Epistles as a whole!!

I wish you well on your journey.  I have been, and continue to, pray that He leads you down the path you seek.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,788
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

30 minutes ago, AgedLace said:

So, did Paul err when he did not seek teaching from the apostles?

[Gal 1:11 NASB]
For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.

[Gal 1:12 NASB]
For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but [I received it] through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

[Gal 1:15 NASB]
But when God, who had set me apart [even] from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased

[Gal 1:16 NASB]
to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood,

[Gal 1:17 NASB]
nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.

[Gal 1:18 NASB]
Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days.

[Gal 1:19 NASB]
But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord's brother.

Your contextualizing of Scripture is where I think you are misunderstanding Scripture … as you know these letters were at that time being developed and the church was already living and developing without the complete instruction set ordained by God till 90's AD …  Paul is giving His source of learning directly from Christ to be the source of his understanding to be written down... this is as the OT prophets also did... so this is not new method by the original way since Moses who got the Pentateuch in the Genesis-Deuteronomy directly from God Himself.

To help you understand the need for contextualization suppose I write down on ten slips of paper "come over here and sit on my lap baby' and hand out this written material to ten different people - most likely I would get a romantic or sexual understanding from these ten. However if I place it in it's historical cultural context I find it is a father calling out to his baby across the room... if the historical, cultural context is not known then it's fair game for any interpretation! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

You know if you really want to read about the Holy Spirit ... the book I recommend is R.A. Torrey's Book ... the Person and the Work of the Holy Spirit.

When I began my walk, I was very hesitant about reading any modern books ... since I couldn't test the fruit.  So I was looking at old preachers of the Great Awakening periods as those revivals impacted the world greatly!  One of those preachers was D.L. Moody -- from which Moody Bible Institute remains as a solid Bible believing college ... and the first superintendent of Moody was Moody's right hand man -- R.A. Torrey.  These guys led revivals all over the world.  Another book you may be interested in is -- Secret Power by D.L. Moody.  

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest AgedLace
7 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

Your contextualizing of Scripture is where I think you are misunderstanding Scripture … as you know these letters were at that time being developed and the church was already living and developing without the complete instruction set ordained by God till 90's AD …  Paul is giving His source of learning directly from Christ to be the source of his understanding to be written down... this is as the OT prophets also did... so this is not new method by the original way since Moses who got the Pentateuch in the Genesis-Deuteronomy directly from God Himself.

To help you understand the need for contextualization suppose I write down on ten slips of paper "come over here and sit on my lap baby' and hand out this written material to ten different people - most likely I would get a romantic or sexual understanding from these ten. However if I place it in it's historical cultural context I find it is a father calling out to his baby across the room... if the historical, cultural context is not known then it's fair game for any interpretation! 

Be blessed my friend.  We will have to agree to disagree and move on.  

Thanks.