leah777

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Days Won:  1

How do you know you have been baptized in the Holy Spirit?

What about if you do not speak in tongues? are you not worthy to be baptized in the Holy Spirit if you dont speak in tongues?

Are you still saved if you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit?

Sorry for all the questions guys, this came up in another thread I am in, and I feel lost and shaky about all this stuff now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest AgedLace
10 minutes ago, leah777 said:

How do you know you have been baptized in the Holy Spirit?

What about if you do not speak in tongues? are you not worthy to be baptized in the Holy Spirit if you dont speak in tongues?

Are you still saved if you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit?

Sorry for all the questions guys, this came up in another thread I am in, and I feel lost and shaky about all this stuff now.

@Leah777,

When you become a christian, you have the Holy Spirit living inside of you.  The Baptism ofthe Holy Spirit according to the Book of Acts is something else altogether.  Jesus specifically told His disciples to wait in the city until they had received the power from on high [the Baptism of the Holy Spirit].  

It is not a matter of being worthy ... like everything else in our christian walk, it is a matter of faith ... and waiting on Him to send His Spirit ... exactly as He told the disciples in Acts chapter 1.

Guest AgedLace

Here are two passages of Scripture which may help to clear this misunderstanding up.

As these passages show the Baptism in the Holy Spirit was something that happened *after* they had believed and had been baptized in water.  

NOTE - it does not *have* to be this way ... I believe a person can be saved, baptized in both water and the Holy Spirit all at one time.  In my experience, I had already received Christ and had the Holy Spirit living me as I was a new creation, but I had not yet been baptized in water nor had I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.  I sought for it very diligently because Jesus Himself told the disciples they needed to do so, too.  The day my water baptism was scheduled, during the service before that actual water baptism, the Lord graciously baptized me in the Holy Spirit.

[Act 8:12 NASB]
But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike.

[Act 8:13 NASB]
Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.

[Act 8:14 NASB]
Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John,

[Act 8:15 NASB]
who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.

[Act 8:16 NASB]
For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

[Act 8:17 NASB]
Then they [began] laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.

----------

[Act 18:24 NASB]
Now a Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus; and he was mighty in the Scriptures.

[Act 18:25 NASB]
This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he was speaking and teaching accurately the things concerning Jesus, being acquainted only with the baptism of John;

[Act 18:26 NASB]
and he began to speak out boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.

[Act 18:27 NASB]
And when he wanted to go across to Achaia, the brethren encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him; and when he had arrived, he greatly helped those who had believed through grace,

[Act 18:28 NASB]
for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The regenerated heart has only one source of food … the Scriptures! It is by The Scriptures we grow in relationship with God. 

12 hours ago, AgedLace said:

When you become a christian, you have the Holy Spirit living inside of you

Sounds like the baptism of the Holy Spirit is different from having the Holy Spirit dwell inside me

and that baptism of the Holy Spirit brings the Gifts of the Spirit

and that baptism is not automatic, I have to ask for it

and I will know when I get it when I speak in tongues.

Have I understood right? I thought that when I got water baptism and saved, that is when my baptism of the Holy Spirit automatically happens.

But i dont have any Gifts from the Holy Spirit, not even tongues, so I must not be properly baptized somehow. So God does not think I am worthy, cos everyone else seems to have this Holy Spirit gifts and baptism.

Guest AgedLace

@leah777

Receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit, like everything else we receive from God, has *nothing* to do with whether we are worthy or not.  You *cannot* earn it ... it is a gift that He freely gives, and we receive it exactly like we receive everything from God ... by faith alone.  Yes we have to seek after it and wait for it, just like the disciples did in Acts 1.  They had to wait 10 days before they received it.  Some people have to wait longer ... some less ... but I assure you, God *will* baptize you in the Holy Spirit if you ask Him to do so.  

[Mat 7:7 NASB]
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

[Mat 7:8 NASB]
"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

[Mat 7:9 NASB]
"Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone?

[Mat 7:10 NASB]
"Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he?

[Mat 7:11 NASB]
"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

-----------

Jesus promised the Father would send us the Holy Spirit ...

[Jhn 14:26 KJV]
But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

[Jhn 15:26 KJV]
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

[Jhn 16:7 KJV]
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

-----------

The rest of your conclusions are correct as you stated them.  I have *no* doubt whatsoever that as you ask Him and seek His understanding about these things as you prayerfully read through the Scriptures concerning them, He will not only open your understanding of what His Will is regarding these, but that you *will* receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit exactly as He has promised you.  *THAT* you can take to the bank - you have His personal guarantee of it.  

How will I know if I have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

We are baptized in The Spirit when The Holy Spirit regenerates a being and moves into that being producing eternal Life within that being...
1 Corinthians 6:17
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
KJV
1 Corinthians 12:13
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
KJV
1 Corinthians 12:13
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
KJV
Ephesians 2:18
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
KJV
Ephesians 4:4
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
KJV
Philippians 1:27
27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
KJV

1 Peter 1:23
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
KJV
1 Peter 3:4
4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest AgedLace
1 minute ago, leah777 said:

How will I know if I have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

As I shared with you before, when it happens you *will* know ... you won't have to guess or wonder.  Your spirit will witness to you that what is happening is from Him.  

He works in different ways at different times ... and not always the same way in a given person's life.  The key is learning to listen and discern what He is saying or doing.  

This is what I would do if I were where you are right now.  

I would ask God this very same question.  Then I would ask Him to show me *IN HIS WORD* what His answer is.  Then I would prayerfully start reading ... particularly the Book of Acts in this case, and any others that He may prompt you to look up.  Let the Holy Spirit teach you.  I assure you, once you have been taught by Him, you will *never* look to another human being for understanding of what the Bible says or means ever again.  

The other thing is ... don't get frustrated or despair.  When you have those thoughts about being unworthy remember this ...

[2Co 10:3 NASB]
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh,

[2Co 10:4 NASB]
for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.

[2Co 10:5 NASB]
[We are] destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and [we are] taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Take those thoughts captive to the obedience of the Lord Jesus Christ because they are totally against what the Word of God says.  Renounce them and reject them and then lay hold of God's Word and just trust in Him to fulfill His Word.  He *will* do it.

21 minutes ago, AgedLace said:

As I shared with you before, when it happens you *will* know ... you won't have to guess or wonder.  Your spirit will witness to you that what is happening is from Him.  

The error in this is placing trust in the feeling, the intuitions, within one's heart... especially when God says we are to have no other foundation but Christ Who through written Word and Holy Spirit verifies all s_Spirits in the testing ….. we, in an of ourselves, are NOT the reliable source but the Word of God 'IS'...

2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV