naominash

Do We only want older Theologians here?

I feel like sometimes we alienate younger or less mature believers in different seasons of life. By younger, I mean under the age of 50. 

I don't think this is always on purpose. Here's what I mean:

- Almost all the topics are on often-repeated advanced theological debates. 

- Almost none of the topics in the Activity list are on practical Christian lessons that apply to people in different seasons of life like singlehood, college, motherhood, fatherhood, marriage, work, dating, ministry, etc.

People really need this, though.

- Disdain for the young. Someone accused me of just being a 'millenial' because I didn't like missing church for work. I see a lot of posts about the way things 'used' to be and how everything now is just going to hell in a hand basket.

- Lack of awareness of time for studying Scripture. 

Of course you have more time to develop theories on Revelation if you're retired with no kids in the house!

- Unnecessary lofty speech and big words

What if someone who never went to church or didn't have a degree wanted to understand what you were saying??

- Lack of patience

This is the biggest one. I'm glad you believe that Jesus is the only way and that the Bible is true above all worldly philosophies. But did you get there overnight? We're you always a Christian?

I've seen liberal Christians run off. I've seen Christians that are only 95 % conservative run off. Pentecostals? Gone. Catholics? Gone. 

Wisdom and knowledge is a gift. We didn't earn it. Speak the truth, but speak it with humility and love.

Anyone who sits on the wrong side of OSAS? Barely tolerated. 

Partiality is a sin. If you want the forum a certain way because it's a sanctuary from young people/liberals/Joel Osteen fans, it will die. Jesus is for everyone, not just the theologically astute.

• Loved it! 1

4 minutes ago, naominash said:

By younger, I mean under the age of 50. 

Weeeee! I'm still young. For at less another month! 

Now with that out of the way I will go back and read the rest of your post. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Shalom Naominash,

Not at all, I believe that we all grow as iron sharpens iron.  However, if you feel a bit overwhelmed, you can always ask questions in the newly formed Discipleship forums.  :)

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George said:

Perhaps, you should try the individual Fellowship forums for the different age groups.

I'm sorta of the opposite ... I still see the best is ahead of us.  While people often look at the glass half empty -- I'm looking at the glass half-full.  While some focus on the tares ... I chose not to ignore the tares, but also realize the wheat is growing with the tares!  :)

I believe you're seeing a real change of pace on the forums over the past month.  As we've basically realized there are some people that SHOULDN'T post freely in a forum environment because of this very issue.  Without love, we're just a clanging cymbal ... so we're seeing the change in moderation style start to affect all the forums.

Yes, it did happen in the past, and we've isolated the issue and I believe you'll see more conversations in love with various viewpoints expressed.  A lot of this took place in the political forums, and this issue was dealt with.

I don't know about that ... I personally have seen this debate for 20 years.  This is not a new debate and wasn't settled 300 years ago ... and continues to be the same debate rehashed over and over again.  I can see both side of the debate ... and I've posted my opinion on the matter, and I certainly have had people in the ministry team that we're on opposite sides of this same issue over the years.

I just want a place for believers to be able to work through doctrines in love.  When you can simply have a conversation in love, I believe the Holy Spirit in the end will draw all men to the truth.  The problem is when the Spirit is quenched ...  I didn't arrive to my views on my own, but rather through experience, through the Word, and being led of the Spirit -- and I realize I'm not a completed work!  So as long as we have the fundamental understandings that the Bible is the final authority on matters ... we can simply discuss the Word in love and how that may apply to every day living!  :)

I hope I answered all your questions.  :) 

God bless,

George

Wow George, I'm so grateful and impressed you addressed all of those things!

Worthy has blessed me and I am well treated. I want to make that clear. I hope I make people feel welcome, even if I don't particularly agree with them.

You as an individual are very charitable and nuanced. Hopefully, we can all learn to be like that.

• Loved it! 1

8 hours ago, naominash said:

By younger, I mean under the age of 50. 

Are you trying to get rid of me naomi  😛

• Haha 2

Hmmmm. I didn't realize I was older, but ok. 😮

Please let me know if ever I make you feel less than.

BTW, I have several millenials in my life that I love very much.

My neice and I took a vacation together a few weeks before Christmas. My side hurt the entire time from all the laughs we had together. Please don't tell her I'm older.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, naominash said:

- Almost all the topics are on often-repeated advanced theological debates. 

Oh Yes, Naom. From my investigation of internet forums over many years one thing holds true on all of them - if all you want is volume and duration in a thread use debate-appropriate bait, if that makes sense. Devotional threads can be spot-on with interpretation and doctrine but they don't tend to be picked up as readily as those that engage extremist views.

• Thumbs Up 1

You make some valid points. As someone who does not hold to OSAS ive taken some heat for it over the years...not enough to make me leave though.

With that said theres always 2 sides of every story...ive seen catholics run off, but ive also seen many, many Catholics who come here and try to force their misguided faith on us, and get angry when the people here push back and leave. I dont want Catholics to go-but neither will i compromise my values to appease them.

As far as the long words, and deeper theology yes many need to learn to discuss in a way others can understand. But, those that are younger Christians should also seek to further their understanding, and theyre not going to do so by avoiding deeper topics and long words.

What George has stated, that ir9n sharpens iron. You need discussion/debate to grow. Many people cant handle debate, they cant handle the "iron" so they leave. Others swing the "iron to hard" which runs people off...but in the end, those people still chose to leave.

I for one believe that i need to leave because someone questioned something I believe in, then I should question what I believe in, and thats regardless of how that belief was challenged. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

As far as the long words, and deeper theology yes many need to learn to discuss in a way others can understand. But, those that are younger Christians should also seek to further their understanding, and theyre not going to do so by avoiding deeper topics and long words.

Agree. Those that have greater knowledge should not have to dumb down so that others can keep up. That being said, those with more knowledge should always be willing to help others to understand in a loving manner, that does not put down those with lesser knowledge.

Those who have more knowledge are there because they have put in the study and the prayer. In no way should they be asked to diminish their light.

• Thumbs Up 2