• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 1/13/2019 at 9:36 PM, other one said:

I'm glad I don't live in a place where one gets the view of people you have...

Hi, My "view" is based upon many decades of effort that includes assisting others with needs, which I still do to this day with joy in my heart for the privilege from God to do so at this time. I do try to make discernment about individuals one by one,  I get burned occasionally  and that is quite all right, just part of life.

I am strongly against sec. 8 at so many levels that I have experienced over the decades now. The program itself is fraudulent from the get go. So much graft within government itself even before any money gets out to the community of needy individuals. I tied to utilize sec 8  program for building when I was a contractor, small time developer, I built my apartments to then handicap standards. I have had some experience in the area of needs. What I have found is massive amounts of dollars being tie dup never dispersed, and then insiders friends of elected officals getting large grants ,producing very little but eyewash as an end product. Go look at an enterprise zone from twenty years ago where old houses were rehabbed and see what they look like today. They are trashed yet again  by the end occupants for they got them for nearly free with  few days personal effort into pushing a broom or painting a window trim as their own effort into the project at the time. Then they just sat back and continued to feed off the government trough while the homes fall apart around them.

A permanent welfare class is not a good goal. The one thing Gov . a then Pres. Reagan advocated was two years of help and then you are out of the system- no "welfare queens". Give plenty of help, but not perpetually to any one person that can do for themselves if they will choose to try.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

How amiable are thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts!

My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the Lord: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.

Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O Lord of hosts, my King, and my God.

Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.

Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.

Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools.

They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God.

O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah.

Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed.

10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

12 O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee. Psalm84

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matthew 6

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

29 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

not if that paycheck only provides enough, or often less than enough, to get by for the week, with nothing left over

I can see that advice working in a city, living in a car or a box - not

you need extra cash and spare food to provide a reserve.

Hey I was going to say all of that! :D

Love ya!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

32 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

not if that paycheck only provides enough, or often less than enough, to get by for the week, with nothing left over

I can see that advice working in a city, living in a car or a box - not

you need extra cash and spare food to provide a reserve.

Hi, Oh us city people can forage, there is lots of good stuff in the cities. I have done it for many decades*. Actually you are encouraging me to get at it at a higher level though. Thanks! 

The whole point of saving first is that it is not from spare or excess. It is the same principle that is mentioned in our Bible - do we give from our excess only?

Build a reserve first! Start somewhere with some item or amount of currency. The silly sounding adage from times now passed of Ben Franklin- A peny saved is a penny earned is a real program for financial securiy. Make doing that the first priority after sharing through God. Yes help one another give sacrificially of time and of goods. But also build reserves doing so sacrifically.

* I learned at age five how to make a crab trap out of an old wire coat hanger and used up kite strings al found items. Then to drop the lift net into the water at the pier with some free fish gut from a fisherman wait for the crabs to come and then just pull up food- free crabmeat. Heck  crabs will chase and old chicken bone on a street right up out of the water.

Some people buy  poison to kill dandy lions, others the old Italian ladies of the city instead pick them and make salads. Get a old Euell Gibbons book on foraging there's food everywhere. Even heart of palm and oysters right where I am  along with wild asparagus like tips of Virginia climber vines. There is food everywhere. May not be sugar coated goo, but there is food.

Some people will starve in the middle of a pine tree forest watching the birds, the chipmunks, and squirrels, flourish on the fauna all about.

Well anyway I realize I am odd man out on these discussions. And that is okay, it is just the way it is. From my vantage point it seems people want to throw money at poverty and not ask that the impoverished get up on their own  and try to do much of anything. So we have what we have unending needs with  limited resoures being less properly used than should be done.

May God guide each of us as we wrestle how best to help each other.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Oh us city people can forage, there is lots of good stuff in the cities. I have done it for many decades*. Actually you are encouraging me to get at it at a higher level though. Thanks! 

The whole point of saving first is that it is not from spare or excess. It is the same principle that is mentioned in our Bible - do we give from our excess only?

Build a reserve first! Start somewhere with some item or amount of currency. The silly sounding adage from times now passed of Ben Franklin- A peny saved is a penny earned. Is a real program for financial securiy. Make doing that the first priority after sharing through God. Yes help one another give sacrificially of time and of goods. But also build reserves doing so sacrifically.

* I learned at age five how to make a crab trap out of an old wire coat hanger and used up kite strings al found items. Then to drop the lift net into the water at the pier with some free fish gut from a fisherman wait for the crabs to come and then just pull up food- free crabmeat. Heck  crabs will chase and old chicken bone on a street right up out of the water.

Some people buy  poison to kill dandy lions, others the old Italian ladies of the city instead pick them and make salads. Get a old Euell Gibbons book on foraging there's food everywhere. Even heart of palm and oysters right where I am  along with wild asparagus like tips of Virginia climber vines. There is food everywhere. May not be sugar coated goo, but there is food.

Some people will starve in the middle of a pine tree forest watching the birds, the chipmunks, and squirrels, flourish on the fauna all about.

Well anyway I realize I am odd man out on these discussions. And that is okay, it is just the way it is. From my vantage point it seems people want to throw money at poverty and not ask that the impoverished get up on their own  and try to do much of anything. So we have what we have unending needs with  limited resoures being less properly used than should be done.

May God guide each of us as we wrestle how best to help each other.

So.......do you think we should do away with gov help and tell everyone in need to go eat dandy lions and dig for nuts?  Well good luck with that. If this gov. shut down goes on for much longer this maybe what it comes too. 

By the way. Many people especially the poor in the Appalachian Hills of Kentucky where most of my family are from, go out into the hills and pick mushrooms and collect moss to sell. 

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

So.......do you think we should do away with gov help and tell everyone in need to go eat dandy lions and dig for nuts?  Well good luck with that. If this gov. shut down goes on for much longer this maybe what it comes too. 

By the way. Many people especially the poor in the Appalachian Hills of Kentucky where most of my family are from, go out into the hills and pick mushrooms and collect moss to sell. 

Hi again, yes I believe there should be limits on the time one gets their housing provided for by government if they are able to learn to work and competent.

Our government is not shut down. It very efficiently accepted my quarterly estimated taxes Monday. That seemed to be no problem for the government. That the USA has such awful political office holders from each party and at almost every position is  a testiment  of us in general. Sadly so. That I had a choice between Hilary Rodham-Clinton or Donald trump, well I rest my case on that one. I had refused to vote for either until one called me a "despicable", then I did vote for the other rather crass and seemingly evil individual.

Seems that in general the more welfare we have, the more people vote for office seekers that will give out yet more. Now the USA does not have enough workers left to provide the funds for the non-workers.

Even Social Security is raided to pay for other needs promised to be filled by government. In general the more votes get cast by those receiving benefits to re-elect the people that will continue to raid the coffers and borrow national resources  in return for votes for themselves the more is wanted.

On the other hand  poor people can work. I started at four shoveling sand from the top of a dump truck load of sand into a hopper mixer making mortar for building a block gas station. At five I started my route through the neighborhoods collecting  newspapers and empty bottles. At 11 I started riding on the  station wagon tailgate of a farmer lady, from the inner city to the farm to pick "Bugs Bunny" brand carrots after school each day and got paid  piece work on Saturdays.

One Saturday  I did not have a breakfast and in the field picking beside a Puerto Rican man. I said, "I am so hungry I can't wait to get paid today. I am just going to buy something right outside the farm at the dairy Queen" . He looked at me as though I was totally stupid. He then said in English, "Hey  kid you are picking carrots. They are eatable."

Bingo! I felt really stupid of course they are. They are dirty too. But I wiped off the dirt best I could and ate while  continuing to pick and fill my basket so that I would have a bigger pay envelope with some paper cash and coin in it in a few hours.

I had a savings account too. I always put something in it at the savings and loan each week, right off the top not from excess. Why they pay interest!!! wow my money earns more money, outstanding idea. Later I washed and waxed cars babysat, noticed a neighbor had a garage full of little glue bottles. I aske dabout them. Seems he fill sthem  for a total of a nickel a bottle if he put the cap together label on  fills and of course seals th ebottle packs th ecases too. I asked to subcontract, and I was soon in the 2 once bottle of decal glue for airplane instrument labels filling and packing business. I did thousands of 144 bottle cases! Plus there was similar thing for packing triple A insurance stickers. Did those by the  thousands for a half penny each.

Finally I finished high school at 17 year sold to find I cannot get a job because I am not 18 or older and then when i got close to 18 I found I could not get promise of  a job because  of th eViet Nam war and the miltary draft. No emploer wanted anyone age 18. So I did more of what I had to do and found a job answering telepne fo ra funeral home- whoopie. But ya know it bacame a career that ended up providing for my family to come for  over twenty years!

SO, life is hard, might as get used to it, and realize that whining wastes time. Go find any honest endeavor to do, make money,  forage. Do  to all that can be done  that is honest. There just is no excuse for not working, not foraging, not scraping.

Being poor is okay it is the plight of many and perhaps most all of us at times, but being lazy? Not so much, that is not okay. Government indefinite freebies or never ending aid makes individuals lazy.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, My "view" is based upon many decades of effort that includes assisting others with needs, which I still do to this day with joy in my heart for the privilege from God to do so at this time. I do try to make discernment about individuals one by one,  I get burned occasionally  and that is quite all right, just part of life.

I am strongly against sec. 8 at so many levels that I have experienced over the decades now. The program itself is fraudulent from the get go. So much graft within government itself even before any money gets out to the community of needy individuals. I tied to utilize sec 8  program for building when I was a contractor, small time developer, I built my apartments to then handicap standards. I have had some experience in the area of needs. What I have found is massive amounts of dollars being tie dup never dispersed, and then insiders friends of elected officals getting large grants ,producing very little but eyewash as an end product. Go look at an enterprise zone from twenty years ago where old houses were rehabbed and see what they look like today. They are trashed yet again  by the end occupants for they got them for nearly free with  few days personal effort into pushing a broom or painting a window trim as their own effort into the project at the time. Then they just sat back and continued to feed off the government trough while the homes fall apart around them.

A permanent welfare class is not a good goal. The one thing Gov . a then Pres. Reagan advocated was two years of help and then you are out of the system- no "welfare queens". Give plenty of help, but not perpetually to any one person that can do for themselves if they will choose to try.

Like I said I am so thankful that I don't live in a place where people cause that kind of thinking.

1 hour ago, other one said:

Like I said I am so thankful that I don't live in a place where people cause that kind of thinking.

Be thankful, and blessed too.

May you be blessed within your "gates" with  many more individuals that do not think work is a necessary part of life for receiving the means of their own sustenance so that their own blessings may be greatly multiplied.

May it be as serene   as the opening scene of Fantasy Island was each week with  the tower bell tolling arrival of yet another guest, and Tatoo Shouting out a friendly "Look Boss de plane de plane".