• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I have been poor, and very poor. I collected newspapers empty bottles mowed lawns trimmed bushes washed and waxed cars, cleaned furnaces and chimneys.  I walked the train tracks picking up unburned coke chunks for my neighbor's bungalow heating unit. I rebuilt furniture. I did any honorable work I could do to make money.

I started at age four. I just stopped working at age 74. I have also been affluent at times too, all by working very hard at  many careers including  hands on dirty heavy hard work building my own apartments  becoming a landlord, and working for a church 60 to 75 hours a week.  There is plenty to do to earn money to feed oneself and family.

Pride prevented and still prevents  many from taking work they consider to be beneath their station. The pride filled will sit and starve if not given a comfortable government handout. People all around the world become so  government dependent that they will starve rather than work if they do not get their freebies. It happened by the many millions at the Chinese and North Korean border when times got tough. They just no longer had any instinct to work,  to figure out things for themselves.  

USA Section 8 is a scam, a disgrace and a crippling disaster. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, OneLight said:

True, but the less kids know about God, due to removing Him from school, the less want to discuss Him.  Guess the area is ripe to evangelize!

I think we have more than enough jack- leg preachers in the churches.God Only knows what the schools would teach, given the chance.No doubt , some variation on “ be good and go to Heaven or be bad and go to Hell” They can get enough of that damnable stuff at most of their local churches

I don’t want my kids to learn algebra at church and I don’t want them to learn about Christianity at school.The true Gospel of Grace would be hated in any public school— if you do not offend the unsaved with your gospel — Jesus plus Nothing—- you got the wrong gospel.Jesus came to bring a sword and the True Gospel is considered foolishness and will offend 99% of the public school teachers and administrators.Prayer in school is a non- issue. One could pray in secret, like Jesus told us to — be it in a school or in a bar.Schools are not going to preach a Gospel of  Grace, when 90% of the churches out there don’t.Give it a rest.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I have been poor, and very poor. I collected newspapers empty bottles mowed lawns trimmed bushes washed and waxed cars, cleaned furnaces and chimneys.  I walked the train tracks picking up unburned coke chunks for my neighbor's bungalow heating unit. I rebuilt furniture. I did any honorable work I could do to make money.

I started at age four. I just stopped working at age 74. I have also been affluent at times too, all by working very hard at  many careers including  hands on dirty heavy hard work building my own apartments  becoming a landlord, and working for a church 60 to 75 hours a week.  There is plenty to do to earn money to feed oneself and family.

Pride prevented and still prevents  many from taking work they consider to be beneath their station. The pride filled will sit and starve if not given a comfortable government handout. People all around the world become so  government dependent that they will starve rather than work if they do not get their freebies. It happened by the many millions at the Chinese and North Korean border when times got tough. They just no longer had any instinct to work,  to figure out things for themselves.  

USA Section 8 is a scam, a disgrace and a crippling disaster. 

Why are rents so high ? Look at San Francisco.  There is no affordable housing at all. In New York there is no affordable housing at all. I grew up in NY. My father paid a reasonable price for a two bedroom apartment.  Now that same building is outrageous. The middle class is moving out of NY. Because of the coSt of housing. If not for section 8 thousands and even more would not have a place to live. At one time  a  single poor man could live in a boarding house. There are none any more. Times have change for the poor. Many poor work two jobs and cannot pay rent and utility. Some poor people live on peanut butter and Ramon noodles. They make too much for food stamps but cannot really buy enough food. I see people at work eat Ramon noodles every day for lunch and they are not dirt poor. But housing car take a lot of there money. People who are more successful cannot understand a lot of the problem. Some people spend four bucks for a cup of coffee everyday. God says be content with what you have. I think it's good the poor are helped in any way. Even by the government.  It's.  Commendable that you worked and did for yourself. I used to w I rk over nights stocking a supermarket for 40 hours then went to my day job a hour later and worked 40 hours at that job. And even overtime for 90 hours total a week. 2 to 3 hours skeep. Slept 12 hours on my day off. I used to nod off at lunch everyday. I only work 40 now but I am 65. I cannot it hurts my legs too much. Some people have a hard time working. Maybe drugs too. But days are coming no help for the poor.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

5 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Why are rents so high ? Look at San Francisco.  There is no affordable housing at all. In New York there is no affordable housing at all. I grew up in NY. My father paid a reasonable price for a two bedroom apartment.  Now that same building is outrageous. The middle class is moving out of NY. Because of the coSt of housing. If not for section 8 thousands and even more would not have a place to live. At one time  a  single poor man could live in a boarding house. There are none any more. Times have change for the poor. Many poor work two jobs and cannot pay rent and utility. Some poor people live on peanut butter and Ramon noodles. They make too much for food stamps but cannot really buy enough food. I see people at work eat Ramon noodles every day for lunch and they are not dirt poor. But housing car take a lot of there money. People who are more successful cannot understand a lot of the problem. Some people spend four bucks for a cup of coffee everyday. God says be content with what you have. I think it's good the poor are helped in any way. Even by the government.  It's.  Commendable that you worked and did for yourself. I used to w I rk over nights stocking a supermarket for 40 hours then went to my day job a hour later and worked 40 hours at that job. And even overtime for 90 hours total a week. 2 to 3 hours skeep. Slept 12 hours on my day off. I used to nod off at lunch everyday. I only work 40 now but I am 65. I cannot it hurts my legs too much. Some people have a hard time working. Maybe drugs too. But days are coming no help for the poor.

Why are rents so high? GREED

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I think it's greed to over price housing. But the Market enable building owner to do so. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

8 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

And if the government does help is that a sin of some kind. 

that's a very good question Wayne...

5 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Some poor people live on peanut butter and Ramon noodles.

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

The cost of construction has gone from $35 a square foot in 1985 when I started building apartments to $150 in 2005 to $300 right now.

Increasing building code standards have sent construction costs zooming upward. Plus right now there is such a shortage of laborers that  wages are excellent for the worker but a killer for  construction budget planning. There is a materials shortage too that forces materials prices up. 

Yes rents are high and getting higher too. The risk to the builder is that  it is not going to be possible to fill the structure once they are built even though demand for units exists. There just won't be enough people with the income to pay the rents. When there is not any affordable housing there are no laborers either. it is a  cycle aggravated by government edicts and programs that make it possible for many to sit  comfortably in nice neighborhoods eat well and do nothing except breed so that there will be more in the family unit on government benefits.

Plus there is little respect for property by tenants anymore, just great damage being done. I know one man a builder that stopped building and just manufactures cabinet drawers for apartment companied because tenants steal so many when they vacate apartments. Also property taxes on apartment units have gone way  up and liability insurance is like trying to get and pay for personal health insurance. Mostly that is because of more government intrusion that raises costs and thus product price.

I used to not raise rents except for actual pass through costs of cable tv, but I could no longer do that  as the loan value of my units was not keeping pace with need. So I had to change my own policy and raise the rents. When i did  the added gross income raised the property value  in the eyes of the county appraiser's office and property taxes zoomed up. And on it goes.

The more government programs to  "protect" everyone the more all things will cost. I finally sold out, my commercial real estate broker sold out too. Right now the new rental inits being built are from two very large and still successful companies, rents are beyond what I ever imagined they could ever be. Greed? No! One cannot build without getting a return on the effort.

Right now it is said there will be 300,000 more people in Tampa, Fl. in less than four years time.  It is booming here, but it is a struggle for many. Individuals are considering remodeling at $300 a square foot cost with the idea they can get, if they sell,  $600 a square foot. I can't even comprehend  that pace of change.

Those tiny houses  on tv programs cost $70,000 to $130,000 for less than 200 square feet of space on wheels without meeting many building codes and that is without any land to put them on. It is nuts for sure, but it is what it is. Government freebies for many make it all the worse on absolutely everyone.

Hey Wayne, I have lived on restaurant crackers and hot water. I have done without health insurance as a builder, I have had times when peanut butter was not  an option due to high cost. Life is hard but it doesn't make builders and owners of apartments greedy. It simply means  government is getting in the way trying to raise money through taxing  property including rental units at too high a cost to sustain without raising rent. Every  additional government edict adds to the rent needed to survive in business. That includes sec 8 and food coupon programs. They all raise the cost of business. Everyone has to be productive, can't have many  sitting and a few working.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I keep hearing about all these people who just live off the public assistance who are healthy enough to work....   yet in my personal life I know very few people who would fit into that category.   I am acquainted with street people who could be living on public assistance but would rather just live on the streets....     I also know a good number of people who do take public assistance who really only need it temporarily....       After doing the research of our food stamp program and learned of just how short of an average we have here I started questioning just how many people really do live long term off of public assistance.....   I wish I knew the real answer to that question.

Personally I don't want to see us get rid of helping the poor with government programs, but I would very much like to see us work to get all the fraud out of it....   that would go a long way to fixing the problems of the system.

• Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I only work 40 now but I am 65. I cannot it hurts my legs too much. Some people have a hard time working. Maybe drugs too.

Yep been there done that myself. My own body  blew up a year ago at 74 while I was still putting in 60 or more hours every week, while on a commercial airline flight it just gave out. They took me off the plane strapped in a narrow wheel chair.  And that was that. I told myself and  employer I could no go no more.

Life can get hard. The answer is not more government freebies for able bodied individuals to live at very nice homes and enjoy living styles higher than what workers can live.

Shame on us crusty ones for living so long eh?

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

What I find amazing ... is this thread ... so many opinions ... so much dialogue without losing our love despite the differences!  Perhaps we're growing as a body.  Now perhaps a revival may spring forth!  :)   

• Thumbs Up 2