• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, other one said:

if they don't get help and can't get a job then they have to go beg on the street or steal your stuff.....     

Actually they get sec. 8 and still steal, they get food coupons and still steal. They are thieves.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'm glad I don't live in a place where one gets the view of people you have...

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Ben Franklin, 1766

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Actually they get sec. 8 and still steal, they get food coupons and still steal. They are thieves.

In some states. If you are a criminal, you are disqualified from receiving gov. assistance. You can get kicked out of low income housing because of it. Not only you but your whole family. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

We have to provide the means for the poor to survive and help themselves. That means jobs which pay enough to live on, and affordable places to live.

I hope people arent saying that the disabled should be forced to starve, freeze or be homeless. I include the mentally ill as disabled.

I dont want charity for the feckless. I do want people to have the opportunity to help themselves if they can. Blaming someone for not working when there is no job, or blaming them for hunger or homelessness when they cant earn enough to eat or pay rent is not right. Discerning the difference is important.

Compassion is the thing. Loving our neighbour as ourselves - we are all neighbours.

Is there enough charitable voluntary giving on its own to support those who cannot support themselves?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, leah777 said:

Is there enough charitable voluntary giving on its own to support those who cannot support themselves?

personally I do not think so...

but we should not be supporting people who could work but do not....    but there are people who are healthy enough to work but can't get work because of decisions they made in the past...

So what do we do with them?   Felons can not get any federal job.....   in the State of Oklahoma felons can not get any state job and where I live they can not get any job with our city or county government....    there are only two or three companies that will hire felons but would have to have certain skills to get those jobs.    And this situation is for life...

When people get old and can no longer work is there any church that will pay their monthly bills on an ongoing basis each month and buy them fool and provide medical coverage for them.  I know our church could not afford to do that....   sometimes we run out of funds to help people with their utilities.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

This is a sensitive topic for me. There are many people who are just one or two missed paychecks away from getting on the list of people needing gov. help.  

Edited by LadyKay
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

And then there are these and unfortunately quite a few of them. Count your blessings

john-sturrock-network-photographers-image-ref-jsa-10058254-psd-homeless-A1YW9E.jpg.eda45a472f8a7ab9039871e5be0e4960.jpg

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

My ponderings;

I think these questions need to be answered;

1) Are you your brother’s meal ticket? 

Or,

2) Are you there to help him to do right? 

Than;

If he refuses to do right, are you to leave him to the consequences of his actions? 

(My thinks)

Curious in Christ, Not me  

Edited by Not me

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Of course there is need, real need! There is also real opportunity to meet one's own needs at least in part to start.  A helping out whether private personal or by government and impersonal is often needed too. But sustaining the lazy and the criminal only robs from the reserves for the real needy or disabled.

Living from paycheck to paycheck can be and  is a lifestyle chosen by the poor and the affluent alike. Individuals  fail to provide cash or food reserves for themselves.  Eventually individuals lose the awareness of how to do that, and if not provided for by government they will indeed sit and starve.

As a simple example; How many know how to forage, fish, trap, glean, smoke, dry, and or can, food stuffs for themselves? 

Many need help because they have not learned how to budget, how to save, how to do without discretionary items in order to save up a reserve for the extremely hard times that come. 

Yes there are the extras that overwhelm, the medical issue that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and there is no affordable insurance available. But is government capable of  providing solution for that? Doesn't seem  like it to me. So how does government provide sec 8 and food coupons well without there being massive fraud that robs resources away  from the truly needy?

No healthy person needs sec 8 for 15 years and counting as my own neighbor uses, nor needs food coupons all those years, all the while the police are raiding this home multiple times a year with weapons drawn. And the whole family is in and out of the criminal justice system, usually getting probation.

p.s. Yes I have personally helped and I have also been personally helped over my own lifetime. Right now I am most fortunate, and I am a privileged helper. I may yet again face a time of dire personal need too. Never know- but there is always personal responsibility to do all I can for myself, and not be leaching the blood and sweat of others that work while I live in a state of near perpetual laziness, taking but never working because a work that is available is beneath me.