• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

nowhere does it say to let the government do it for you.

No. The Bible doesn't. But that dose not mean that the gov. shouldn't.  Government stepping in and not allowing its people to starve to death or live in the street is better for the people and the government over all. Desperate, hungry people who have no one to help will riot in the streets, and you will have a break down of law and order. 

Nothing personal on you with this. But This also goes back to my old argument I had with some people on Worthy. Where  some Christians want a Christian nation and they want our government to follow Christian rules. When it comes to things like gay marriage and abortion.   But when it comes to feeding the poor and housing the homeless. Then it's "well it's not the government's job to care for people." Again not directing this to you. 

3 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Indeed, most people don't, instead they expect the government to do it for them. Problem is the only way the government can do it is to tax everyone else into poverty. What they also don't know is government assistance is designed to control-not help. Its easier to control a person that is dependent on you then someone who is self sufficient.

None of that negates the fact that were told to take care of the needy-not leave them for someone else. Our job not the governments.

Maybe if more people did help. Christians and churches. We would not need so much government interfering?  But until that happens. Well, we can't just let people go without waiting around now can we?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

guidelines in Oklahoma for food stamps for a family of 2 is making less than $1,726 pre-tax per month.      For a single person it is $1,276 a month which I know a couple of people who are living on Social Security only that are lower than this income   According to our DHS office the average time for someone on food stamps is 18 months....   this is not including elderly people who are living on only Social Security.

I don't know enough about section 8 housing to speak about it in any way...

In my duties at Xerox, I worked in most of our local churches and have seen many people turned down for help.   I don't know why but the looks on their faces as they left was more than I could stand many times so I followed them out of the building and helped them myself.   Sometimes a little and sometimes more than a little.  I don't know if the church just didn't have the money to help.  Sometimes our church doesn't as we struggle to pay our own bills.                   It is my opinion that the Church as a whole has fallen very short in helping people in need on a daily basis.   The government does do a better job in getting people by, but the rules and regulations tend to keep people trapped in the system and destroy the family structure so it, long term, has been devastating to low income people as a whole.

Personally I don't mind paying taxes to help people, but the wasteful government agencies and corruption make it very inefficient and makes it hard to accept the overall tax structure.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

59 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Maybe if more people did help. Christians and churches. We would not need so much government interfering?  But until that happens. Well, we can't just let people go without waiting around now can we?

Government should n0t help...nor does it if you really think about it.

People not stepping up and helping...thats a valid point...but its one thats solved by everyone stepping up and actually helping instead of waiting for the government to step in.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 hour ago, PepperS said:

In a perfect world, yes, but, Christ has not returned yet.

You keep saying in a perfect world, but your logic is flawed. First off, in a perfect world no one would need helped, so that alone makes your argument invalid. 

Second off the Bible commands us to help those in need-us. Not the government. Us. Not the government. Us. Period. So we need to be helping 0thers. So you asked me this question, and i answered, and i think its only fair then that you answer it as well-what are you doing to help others in addition to paying taxes?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I been reading in the news section eight will be cut. I feel sorry for poor people. We know housing and rents are too high for poor people. Food stamps akready are low for the prices of food. It's getting mean again. I don't mind paying tax for those in need. I am bless with a good job. Those who get section eight are hated by a lot of people. But it's better to have section eight then people in the street. Thousands do live in the street. Yes on drugs too. But don't hate on them. Pray God restores them. God loves them too.

Hi Wayne, I won't give that thinking an oye vey for it is well intentioned, but I will disagree strongly. I believe section 8  an dfood coupon programs to be a terrible scam and  a horrible injustice.   I have immediate neighbors that live very well on section 8 and the combination of government benefits that they get. They do not work,  never have worked. They just breed more of the same that grow up and become more criminals in the neighborhood. The police get called out to this house numerous times a year.  

The absentee home owner gets their large monthly check  and let the property run down. The family members in this house young and old get arrested by police often raiding it with their guns drawn  a few times a year. That shows up on reports about the neighbor raising insurance rates and lowering property values. There are police stakeouts in the neighborhood when police are looking for  one or more of them. Yet  they keep  on getting out of court without lengthy  prison sentences and they continue to get their housing, very nice housing. They get their food,  they get clothing, and they drive  multiple brand new vehicles too. They literally make more money than the working people in the neighborhood. They live high.

There is also locally a market for Maine lobster that booms  when the food coupons come in each month here. The local area with the most people on the food coupon program  use their coupons to buy Maine lobsters and then resell them at a discounted price to small retailers. The Large food chains buy extra lobsters for the stores at the  community area with the most  people on  the program.

I think President Reagan had it right when he used the phrase welfare queen, and managed to get a two year limit  on welfare changing it to workfare when he was president. Since then it has  been turned around to where their is a permanent criminal class that gets to live very nicely and ruin  the neighborhoods they  come into.

Of course there are needy and disabled. They do need real help, as do most that  work very hard can't work and still qualify  for assistance and yet cannot get health insurance, nor health care, today. I think  many of us  are very tired of the abuse by the criminal "poor" that live pretty high on the hog without any effort at working. So I must disagree that there is a need for more of the same welfare system that grows yet more generations of non working  criminal class of citizens.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, PepperS said:

How many have you taken in?

Four to date over eighteen years so far,  a widow relative,  and then younger family in need. Does that count?  

Now I am refurbishing this  "mother in law" unit within my house that I have paid property taxes on for over 18 years now. I know of  a few friends that have done similar additions so that family or elderly or hurting friends will not be without nice shelter and decent company to aid them. 

It happens, some do take in and share of the many blessings received of God, plus receive blessing right back from the individual that had a need.

It has been  rather a grand experience over  over a long time  one that is now treasured memory. I would not, even  if I could, go back and undo any of it at all.

10 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Government should n0t help...nor does it if you really think about it.

People not stepping up and helping...thats a valid point...but its one thats solved by everyone stepping up and actually helping instead of waiting for the government to step in.

Alright then. I will consider your point of view. So what would happen if the gov. just stop doing anything about the poor?  I think we could look back at history and get our answer.  Because I think there was a time in our history that the gov. did not help with the needy.    (I'm going to go google stuff see what I can find)  Oh I love doing history research! This will be fun! 

11 hours ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Yes but someone who is dependent upon the government is less likely to have that determination. People are short sighted...people on welfare are more likely to vote democrat...why? Because of the money theyre afraid a Republican will cut their welfare check. 

As the old saying goes give a man a fish youll feed them for a day. Teach a man to fish and youll feed him for a lifetime.

The governments form of help is give a man a fish a day and they will always do your bidding...Because after awhile they will have lost all motivation to learn how to fish.

I think there should be time limitations and frequent followup. That is where the gov falls short. There was a time people could stay on assistance a lifetime. They worked the system. They kept popping out babies. 

I think that should be dealt with somehow too! But then that would mean more government! Those that are lazy and entitled need to be dealt with differently than those that jyst needed a hand up and went on to be productive citizens . Its a mess quite frankly. Didnt POTUS write law something about this? 

Some people must be led . But then there are a few who lead themselves. 

8 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Alright then. I will consider your point of view. So what would happen if the gov. just stop doing anything about the poor?  I think we could look back at history and get our answer.  Because I think there was a time in our history that the gov. did not help with the needy.    (I'm going to go google stuff see what I can find)  Oh I love doing history research! This will be fun! 

The alternative would look like NY immigrant ghetto back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Also England ghettos back then. Those people paid rent by the day and were living like rats. It was awful.