• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, faither 2 said:

Because the English language has no word to translate the Greek verb pisteuo , the verb form if Faith couldn't be communicated by the English language.

While I am sympathetic to your focus on the meaning of the original word. The fact that we have an unbroken commentary on Pistis would seem to contradict your point above. The fact that pistis, and its various forms including the verb form, appear in dozens of lexicons, and that teachers continue to this day to talk about the lexical range of faith seems to contradict your point. 

There are words in the OT and NT that are unique having only one referent and no other examples even outside of the NT. Pisteuo is not one of those words. Is this supposed to make a rhetorical point? If so one wonders, how one gained the insight of how to communicate in English the incommuncatable aspects of pisteuo? 

I appreciate the idea of trust and fidelity. We have an onslaught of poorly educated individuals that make equivocating the historic NT sense of the word a passtime. There fallacious understanding then serves as a premise that something other than the evidence of the resurrection, Jesus' claims about himself as understood by his enemies, the evidence from OT prophecy, the rational arguments Paul engaged in with gentile philosophers, were not occurring as recorded in Acts, but rather some sort of doxastic leap into believing something antithetical to our rational faculties was occurring. 

Your comments certainly are valuable at destroying that fallacy. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

On 1/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, faither 2 said:

I'm new to the group and glad to be here.

I thought I would propose a question to you all to get a sense of what your understanding of Faith is, and how it's applied.

I'm sure we all agree, " salvation is by Grace, through Faith ." 

But what is your specific understanding of how Faith is applied that results in recieving the Spirit of Christ?

Thanks .

I don't understand the question. It seems that you have used the word "spirit of Christ" as if it's separate from what happens in being saved.

Could you clarify?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Understanding IS a huge part of faith. The title of the thread unknowingly hits the nail on the head.

Do a word search on understanding (especially in the Proverbs) and be amazed.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 1/12/2019 at 7:36 AM, faither 2 said:

I'm new to the group and glad to be here.

I thought I would propose a question to you all to get a sense of what your understanding of Faith is, and how it's applied.

I'm sure we all agree, " salvation is by Grace, through Faith ." 

But what is your specific understanding of how Faith is applied that results in recieving the Spirit of Christ?

Thanks .

I guess your question is based on your belief that "Salvation is by Grace, through Faith."

Salvation is by grace. 

Yes, the Lord wants us to trust him.

The Lord also wants us to obey him.