• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

Hello there,

I have just returned home from visiting family members.  One talked of his favourite musicians, of his life and death, having been addicted to drink and drugs and finally taking his own life.  Into my mind came a verse which has often come into my mind during this last year (1 Peter 2:11-12).

'Dearly beloved, 
I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, 
abstain from fleshly lusts, 
which war against the soul
;
Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: 
that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, 
they may by your good works, 
which they shall behold,
glorify God in the day of visitation.

(1 Peter 2:11-12)  

'That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
And that ye put on the new man, 
which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.'

(Ephesians 4:22-24)

* I thank God that I was able to share this with him: for these fleshly lusts are 'deceitful lusts'  which war against the soul: or the whole man, the body energized by the spirit of life making a living soul.  

* These lusts at their worst can become addictions, in which the body is deceived into dependence upon them: such as drink, drugs, and other cravings of the flesh best left unspoken.  Leading to depravity or death.

* As these verses show, we who are saved by grace, are to put on the new man, by faith: by reckoning on the total sufficiency of the finished work of Christ and His all-sufficent sacrifice for sin. For we have been identified with Christ in His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand: this is the Spirit's baptism: so have died with Christ to the flesh and all it's claims, and been raised to newness of life before the Father, in Him.  We are dead unto sin and alive unto God. Believe it! Rejoice in it! For the righteousness of God has been imputed to us, in Christ Jesus our Saviour, Lord and Head.

Praise His Holy Name.

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by Christine
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Sister .    You are loved .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, Christine said:

Hello there,

I have just returned home from visiting family members.  One talked of his favourite musicians, of his life and death, having been addicted to drink and drugs and finally taking his own life.  Into my mind came a verse which has often come into my mind during this last year (1 Peter 2:11-12).

'Dearly beloved, 
I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, 
abstain from fleshly lusts, 
which war against the soul
;
Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: 
that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, 
they may by your good works, 
which they shall behold,
glorify God in the day of visitation.

(1 Peter 2:11-12)  

'That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
And that ye put on the new man, 
which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.'

(Ephesians 4:22-24)

* I thank God that I was able to share this with him: for these fleshly lusts are 'deceitful lusts'  which war against the soul: or the whole man, the body energized by the spirit of life making a living soul.  

* These lusts at their worst can become addictions, in which the body is deceived into dependence upon them: such as drink, drugs, and other cravings of the flesh best left unspoken.  Leading to depravity or death.

* As these verses show, we who are saved by grace, are to put on the new man, by faith: by reckoning on the total sufficiency of the finished work of Christ and His all-sufficent sacrifice for sin. For we have been identified with Christ in His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand: this is the Spirit's baptism: so have died with Christ to the flesh and all it's claims, and been raised to newness of life before the Father, in Him.  We are dead unto sin and alive unto God. Believe it! Rejoice in it! For the righteousness of God has been imputed to us, in Christ Jesus our Saviour, Lord and Head.

Praise His Holy Name.

In Christ Jesus

Chris

That is wonderful truth. We are alive in christ. No longer dead in trespasses. Because when we are  guilty by our trespasses we cannot fellowship with God and Jesus. So there life is cut off from us. Jesus cannot live in us until our guilt is taken away. When all our guilt is taken away through the blood of Jesus we become alive in him. Because Jesus is the LIFE.

• Praise God! 4