Zemke

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

At an evening service last night one person while sharing mentioned the mystery of Christ's death a few times. I know the bible speaks of mysteries like the mystery of iniquity but the mystery of death or the mystery of the cross isn't mentioned as a mystery. It just struck me as something I may not have heard before. Is this a Catholic statement? Or a theological perplexity for the sake of perplexity? I can agree there is an unfolding nature of depth of understanding about His sacrifice as we grow in Christ but the terminology of it being a "mystery" is somewhat of a mystery to me this morning.

I see the fraise "the mystery of the cross" has some hits I can look at later but I thought to put it out to Worthy Land first. 

Just curious.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

I can't find  that exact phrase in the Bible (doesn't mean I haven overlooked it).

A mystery in the Bible is not something that can never be known. It simply starts out that way.

In the Bible, a mystery is an unknown that can be or will be made known.

The Messiah of God is less a mystery now than say in Genesis 3:15 (the first prophetic mention of the Messiah).

Remember also, that even in the New Testament the use of the word was in a time when the Old Testament was the only

scripture in existence.

It can certainly be done... finding Christ on every page of the Old Testament. But you have to know what / who you are looking for

or looking at.

But having a complete New Testament has taken most of the mystery out of the mysteries of Christ.

Get on a Holy Spirit-interpreted, Bible-authenticated study of the scriptures and find out just how much God already revealed to us 

in the Bible.

Blessings.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Abdicate said:

Jesus' death, while not a mystery per se, the whole gospel is a mystery so the death is part of it.

Ephesians 6:19
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

The Jews can't see the gospel, nor anyone without the help of the Author, so it's a mystery. They are willfully blinded by the knowledge of Moses, even though Moses warned them a greater one than he was coming - that is, Jesus. Think about it. God is almighty, how can He be killed. That's the mystery. In 20/20 hindsight we know.

I suppose that is a mystery. He had to die for the blood to be shed. After the garden blood is not mentioned until He is dead. The Levitical sacrifice first died and then the blood was sprinkled. The body suffered and yes there was blood but it wasn't poured out until His death. The bread and the cup, two aspects to the new covenant. 

Okay thanks, I'm just a little hypersensitive discerning sometimes, not a bad thing if kept in check. I've got something to go on now and I guess the best thing to do is talk with the messenger, my brother in Christ, who mentioned it in a way that caught my attention but he didn't build on it.