Sign in to follow this  
naominash

Why can't I just skip life on Earth and be with God?

I remember a parable from Jesus.

Two men built houses. The one who built his house on a solid foundation---- the rain came and the wind blew but his house still stood.

Well, it's raining guys. It's been raining for months. But I can't run away. God is trying to do something important. 

My grandfather used to say:

The race is not given to the Swift, but to those that endure. 

Here's to enduring. 

God should always be first. Everything else will shake in life. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

24 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

naominsash,

Just another thought. I think that you have expectations and desires that the world should give you something. The world system is not fair, it is based on greed. You will have more peace if you don`t expect things from the world. What would you give in exchange for any of the spiritual treasures we have in Christ?

You are not alone, we are all going through something - pain, loss, grief, trouble, difficulties, trials etc. Be encouraged we are here for you and praying.

Marilyn.

Perhaps I thought if I were giving enough and good enough, the world wouldn't hurt as much. 

Good point.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

49 minutes ago, naominash said:

Perhaps I thought if I were giving enough and good enough, the world wouldn't hurt as much. 

Good point.

Thinking about you situation, Naomi, I was prompted to copy this devotional topic from my study notes. I believe God can completely heal you and restore your marriage, and that you should not give up on this becoming your reality.

The STATE of the BELIEVER if truly STANDING IN GOD’s GRACE

Romans 5:1-2 (STANDING)

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. "

Through and By Jesus Christ:

1.       We have peace with God.

2.       We have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand.

3.       We rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Titus 2:11- 14 (STATE)

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,

Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."

The Grace of God:

1.       Brings salvation.

2.       Has appeared to all men.

3.       Teaches us:

a.       Deny

i.            Ungodliness

ii.            Worldly lusts

b.      Live

i.            Soberly

ii.            Righteously

iii.            Godly

c.       Look

i.            For that blessed hope

ii.            For the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.          

• This is Worthy 1

Worthy art Thou my Lord and God, of All Honour and Glory and Power, for You are reigning now on high, hallelujah. Naomi, I'm not at all surprised at you feeling despondent and feel like "what's the point." You have been told that in a short while you will no longer be needed at your work place. Is it any wonder then, that all seems bland, you think that you are no longer valued, your boss/ bosses have told you so. Yet, until that day arrives, you get up, get dressed and go to the place of work that doesn't want you there. Are you able to pursue some other employment while still making money where you are, I guess that you've probably looked into that already. What encourages me when I see your posts, is the caption at the bottom which says, "God exalted, the enemy defeated." Don't allow the enemy speak to your conscience and allow negative thought processes in, remember the caption and then remember that Jesus has called us to be Over comers, we're not under comers, we're on top, not underneath, "In this world you will have tribulation, but take heart, for I have overcome the world." As always, I hope this helps, God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1

1 minute ago, Michael37 said:

Thinking about you situation, Naomi, I was prompted to copy this devotional topic from my study notes. I believe God can completely heal you and restore your marriage, and that you should not give up on this becoming your reality.

The STATE of the BELIEVER if truly STANDING IN GOD’s GRACE

Romans 5:1-2 (STANDING)

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. "

Through and By Jesus Christ:

1.       We have peace with God.

2.       We have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand.

3.       We rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Titus 2:11- 14 (STATE)

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,

Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."

The Grace of God:

1.       Brings salvation.

2.       Has appeared to all men.

3.       Teaches us:

a.       Deny

i.            Ungodliness

ii.            Worldly lusts

b.      Live

i.            Soberly

ii.            Righteously

iii.            Godly

c.       Look

i.            For that blessed hope

ii.            For the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.          

I hope so. My husband is only human and I still love him.

• Haha 1

Pray that I sleep, please. Took some NyQuil. 

• Praying for You! 2

@naominash   I think at some point pretty much every Christian goes through some dark valleys.  The details vary, but I think more than one of us has wondered why is it worth hanging around on earth.    Sometimes this can be brief and other times last for a long time.  Things that bother one person don't bother another.  Things that don't bother one person can devastate another.  Sometimes there are situations that are indeed toxic and unhealthy that require us to take action for our wellbeing.  Sometimes there are situations that we make toxic by our own reaction.

I used to pooh-pooh Christian counseling until I started to hear testimonies from an increasing number of Christians I knew about how God often used such things to help show them things about themselves and generate positive changes.  After I physically collapsed at work due to stress, God put me in the path of a Christian counselor.  I had one meeting with him (which was an initial consultation) where he recommended a book, which I got and read, and saw him once again a few weeks later.  God used that book to clearly point out the big problem in my life was deep anger.  I wasn't mad at people (or I would have immediately recognized it as a problem).  I was mad at things I had no control over.  I was angry at situations at work, the world around me, and various things.  It was not so much a petty anger of being slighted but seeing unjust, unhealthy, and frustrating situations and systems that simply needed to change for the better.  I was emotionally carrying around burdens God never intended for me to carry.  My biggest problem was that I had confused carrying unnecessary burdens with being passionate, caring, helpful, and being a force for good in the world.  It took several months and a lifestyle change from decades-long patterns of thinking to reach a point where I really felt and reacted differently to things.  When I became most aware of it was several months later when I realized I had slept through the night two nights in a row.  It had become normal for me to sleep for a few hours at a shot, wake up and read until exhausted and then fall asleep again.  My mind had constantly been racing about all those things I needed to do.  It took awhile for that to change.

One of the best teachings and sermons I've heard on this general topic comes from Ed Smith (who started the transformation prayer ministry at transformationprayer.org).   There's a video on their site of a sermon where he talks much about what causes much of our emotional burdens as Christians.  He sets up one situation, which many of us know well.   Someone asks us to do something (usually important) that we don't want to.  We emotionally feel like we are stuck with two options:  say yes and then get mad at them as we do it or say no and feel guilty.  He asks why do we feel like we only have two options, get mad or feel bad?   His answer is that our reactions are based on what we really believe about something.  Our negative reactions to situations are often rooted in lies we believe.   There a quote on their site that I like.  "Emotional pain is not something to manage or overcome, but is a God-designed warning system that something is wrong. To pay attention to this warning is to benefit and grow in truth, to dismiss it is to remain in a perpetual cycle of lie-based thinking."  The biggest insight I picked up from this sermon is to be aware of when I have a strong negative reaction to something and to ask myself Why am I reacting that way? and then deal with the real root cause.   The sermon video is the 50 minute one on this page: https://www.transformationprayer.org/preparing-journey-introduction/    In a nutshell, he talks about the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.  (He uses the terms intellectual knowledge and experiential knowledge.)   Head knowledge is when we lose a job and repeat a verse such as (Phil 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus) over and over to try to convince ourselves not to be anxious or scared while we are laying awake in bed worrying about it.   Heart knowledge is when we sleep well the night we lose a job because we are convinced that it is because God's going to do something very cool in our lives.  Why do we lay awake worrying?  Because deep down we believe some type of lie such that God is either unable to care for us or unwilling to care for us or is punishing us.  The main point he addresses is that frequently our emotions and reactions to things reflect our true beliefs about something.  Often, we need God to do something in our heart to show His truth to overcome those lies.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

1Pe 1:3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

1Pe 1:4  to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,

1Pe 1:5  who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1Pe 1:6  In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,

1Pe 1:7  so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1Pe 1:8  Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory,

1Pe 1:9  obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

1Pe 4:12  Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.

1Pe 4:13  But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.

1Pe 4:19  Therefore let those who suffer according to God's will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good.

2Pe 1:3  His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

2Pe 1:4  by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.

2Pe 1:5  For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,

2Pe 1:6  and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,

2Pe 1:7  and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

2Pe 1:8  For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9  For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.

2Pe 1:10  Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

2Pe 1:11  For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Believe me, I hate these trials as much as you.  But I don't want to complain in the wilderness and go around that mountain again.  So I keep asking Father what He wants me to learn during this trip around.  Probably it is that He wants me to die here--to die to self.  So lets let the old man rot in the wilderness so that the new man can go into the land of the giants and win victories through obedience.  Now I am hungry for cereal with a little milk and honey.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Brilliant! 1

3 hours ago, naominash said:

Pray that I sleep, please. Took some NyQuil. 

Thank God for righteous prayers and NyQuil.

• Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

@naominash   I think at some point pretty much every Christian goes through some dark valleys.  The details vary, but I think more than one of us has wondered why is it worth hanging around on earth.    Sometimes this can be brief and other times last for a long time.  Things that bother one person don't bother another.  Things that don't bother one person can devastate another.  Sometimes there are situations that are indeed toxic and unhealthy that require us to take action for our wellbeing.  Sometimes there are situations that we make toxic by our own reaction.

I used to pooh-pooh Christian counseling until I started to hear testimonies from an increasing number of Christians I knew about how God often used such things to help show them things about themselves and generate positive changes.  After I physically collapsed at work due to stress, God put me in the path of a Christian counselor.  I had one meeting with him (which was an initial consultation) where he recommended a book, which I got and read, and saw him once again a few weeks later.  God used that book to clearly point out the big problem in my life was deep anger.  I wasn't mad at people (or I would have immediately recognized it as a problem).  I was mad at things I had no control over.  I was angry at situations at work, the world around me, and various things.  It was not so much a petty anger of being slighted but seeing unjust, unhealthy, and frustrating situations and systems that simply needed to change for the better.  I was emotionally carrying around burdens God never intended for me to carry.  My biggest problem was that I had confused carrying unnecessary burdens with being passionate, caring, helpful, and being a force for good in the world.  It took several months and a lifestyle change from decades-long patterns of thinking to reach a point where I really felt and reacted differently to things.  When I became most aware of it was several months later when I realized I had slept through the night two nights in a row.  It had become normal for me to sleep for a few hours at a shot, wake up and read until exhausted and then fall asleep again.  My mind had constantly been racing about all those things I needed to do.  It took awhile for that to change.

One of the best teachings and sermons I've heard on this general topic comes from Ed Smith (who started the transformation prayer ministry at transformationprayer.org).   There's a video on their site of a sermon where he talks much about what causes much of our emotional burdens as Christians.  He sets up one situation, which many of us know well.   Someone asks us to do something (usually important) that we don't want to.  We emotionally feel like we are stuck with two options:  say yes and then get mad at them as we do it or say no and feel guilty.  He asks why do we feel like we only have two options, get mad or feel bad?   His answer is that our reactions are based on what we really believe about something.  Our negative reactions to situations are often rooted in lies we believe.   There a quote on their site that I like.  "Emotional pain is not something to manage or overcome, but is a God-designed warning system that something is wrong. To pay attention to this warning is to benefit and grow in truth, to dismiss it is to remain in a perpetual cycle of lie-based thinking."  The biggest insight I picked up from this sermon is to be aware of when I have a strong negative reaction to something and to ask myself Why am I reacting that way? and then deal with the real root cause.   The sermon video is the 50 minute one on this page: https://www.transformationprayer.org/preparing-journey-introduction/    In a nutshell, he talks about the difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge.  (He uses the terms intellectual knowledge and experiential knowledge.)   Head knowledge is when we lose a job and repeat a verse such as (Phil 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus) over and over to try to convince ourselves not to be anxious or scared while we are laying awake in bed worrying about it.   Heart knowledge is when we sleep well the night we lose a job because we are convinced that it is because God's going to do something very cool in our lives.  Why do we lay awake worrying?  Because deep down we believe some type of lie such that God is either unable to care for us or unwilling to care for us or is punishing us.  The main point he addresses is that frequently our emotions and reactions to things reflect our true beliefs about something.  Often, we need God to do something in our heart to show His truth to overcome those lies.  

Counseling is something I could really use.

I hate asking for help and I don't like pity but I do love good advice and learning new things about how I tick.

Thank you for the link!

• Loved it! 2

Sign in to follow this