Sign in to follow this  
naominash

Why can't I just skip life on Earth and be with God?

@naominash thank you for the blessing of this thread, giving me a reminder of the truth of the Bible and Gods love. You are in my prayers

• Loved it! 1

9 hours ago, naominash said:

But without what Adam and Eve had in the garden--- direct access to God--- it just all seems pointless.

Ephesians 2:14-18 New King James Version (NKJV)

Christ Our Peace

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

You do have direct access to God, Naomi, and it came at a great price.  

10 hours ago, naominash said:

But without what Adam and Eve had in the garden--- direct access to God--- it just all seems pointless.

Ephesians 3:8-13 New King James Version (NKJV)

Purpose of the Mystery

To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what isthe [a]fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things [b]through Jesus Christ; 10 to the intent that now the [c]manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the [d]principalities and powers in the heavenly places, 11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him13 Therefore I ask that you do not lose heart at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

Romans 10:17

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Naomi, may you be blessed with understanding as you continue to search.

Edited by PromisesPromises!
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, naominash said:

Counseling is something I could really use.

I hate asking for help and I don't like pity but I do love good advice and learning new things about how I tick.

Thank you for the link!

Here's a few books and resources I've found helpful over the years on various life topics.

Mark Gungors'  Laugh your way to a better marriage  DVD set.  I've not read any of his books, but my wife and I attended one of his seminars.  When I got home my stomach and chest were literally aching because I had been laughing so hard.   This is the only set of DVDs we have ever bought from a teacher of any type.   There are some clips from his videos on YouTube.

Shanti Feldhahn:  The "For Women Only" and "For Men Only".   She started doing research for writing a fiction book.  She wanted to accurately include what men were really thinking.  After talking to a few Christian men in her life (her husband and dad as I recall), she was rather shocked at how much she didn't know about how men thought and ended up doing research which led to the material for a non-fiction book.

Lynn Clark's  SOS Help for Emotions was the book the counselor I saw recommended that I read.  While some Christians decry anything having to do with psychology,  I found this book well rooted in common sense and practice rather than in wild guesses about human nature.   The basic premise is that our negative emotions (falling into 1 of 3 broad categories of fear, depression, or anger) are *triggered* by certain things rather than *caused* by them.   We would usually say "my mother drives me crazy", put the blame on her, and avoid her.  In contrast, we should be saying "my mother does things that I react to badly;  I cannot change my mother but I can figure out why I react this way to her and I should change how I react."   

John Eldredge's Waking the Dead was the book God used to start showing me that being a good Christian was not being a cookie cutter copy of what a good Christian is supposed to be.  I started to realize we each are unique creations and works of art of God meant to reflect His glory in a way unique to each of us.  I had spent decades as a Christian carrying burdens God never meant for me to carry.  For me, this book was one of the first times I realized that the work of Christ in my life was not meant to make me more productive and successful spiritually but rather make me into the person God has created me to be to walk with Him more closely.

I spent years soaking in many of the Christian classics.  I've got several shelves full of such books.   Tozer, Andew Murray, Watchman Nee, Richard Baxter, E.M. Bounds, David Brainerd, and a host of others.  These have had a deep influence on who I am today.   While I found these inspiring and helpful, I had also unintentionally started to burden myself with the secular western mindset of being productive.  Instead of seeing a closer walk with God as the goal as I read, I started to see being a productive Christian as the goal.  Over the years, I lost myself in my gifts, talents, passions, callings, and a zeal to see God do things in my life and others.   I saw my purpose in life as being a Christian who accomplished great things for God.  I started to see the purpose of my Christian life as wracking up as much treasure in heaven (in the form of changed lives) as I possibly could.   I had come to see my Christian life as what God would do through me to reach and change the world rather than simply becoming the person He created me to be.   I've found that working on becoming who He created me to be has made me much more productive than when that was my main focus.  I've also found that life is simply much more enjoyable.  Sadly, it took me decades to reach this point.  I testify about what God has done in my life so that hopefully others can shave a few decades off this process.  :) 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

13 hours ago, naominash said:

This question is an emotional one. Information would only answer part of it.

The problem with my faith is that it's too weak. 

I don't fully submit to the Father's will --- that I live on the Earth serving Him until He takes me back.

I honestly wish I could skip all the pain of living here. All the loneliness and disappointment. 

I could be with Jesus forever and He's the true treasure. So what am I doing down here besides messing up, sinning, and wasting time getting scarred?

The truth is, I hate suffering. I deal with life and get up in the morning because I'm supposed to. But there's not true relish in it.

It's just like, " Is the Lord returning today?? If not... Why not go back to bed.

I feel ashamed to admit that because life is a gift and the Earth has good things in it for us to enjoy. 

Just an idea, but it helps me to read up on some of the women in the bible, especially Leah, and Esther, and Sarah, to mention just a few. Reading the back story, seeing how God moved in their lives, and how they shaped the workings of God purpose. We women have so few good role models out there, especially women with no male Christian headship to help us. God is our strength and our fortress.

• Loved it! 1

3 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Here's a few books and resources I've found helpful over the years on various life topics.

Mark Gungors'  Laugh your way to a better marriage  DVD set.  I've not read any of his books, but my wife and I attended one of his seminars.  When I got home my stomach and chest were literally aching because I had been laughing so hard.   This is the only set of DVDs we have ever bought from a teacher of any type.   There are some clips from his videos on YouTube.

Shanti Feldhahn:  The "For Women Only" and "For Men Only".   She started doing research for writing a fiction book.  She wanted to accurately include what men were really thinking.  After talking to a few Christian men in her life (her husband and dad as I recall), she was rather shocked at how much she didn't know about how men thought and ended up doing research which led to the material for a non-fiction book.

Lynn Clark's  SOS Help for Emotions was the book the counselor I saw recommended that I read.  While some Christians decry anything having to do with psychology,  I found this book well rooted in common sense and practice rather than in wild guesses about human nature.   The basic premise is that our negative emotions (falling into 1 of 3 broad categories of fear, depression, or anger) are *triggered* by certain things rather than *caused* by them.   We would usually say "my mother drives me crazy", put the blame on her, and avoid her.  In contrast, we should be saying "my mother does things that I react to badly;  I cannot change my mother but I can figure out why I react this way to her and I should change how I react."   

John Eldredge's Waking the Dead was the book God used to start showing me that being a good Christian was not being a cookie cutter copy of what a good Christian is supposed to be.  I started to realize we each are unique creations and works of art of God meant to reflect His glory in a way unique to each of us.  I had spent decades as a Christian carrying burdens God never meant for me to carry.  For me, this book was one of the first times I realized that the work of Christ in my life was not meant to make me more productive and successful spiritually but rather make me into the person God has created me to be to walk with Him more closely.

I spent years soaking in many of the Christian classics.  I've got several shelves full of such books.   Tozer, Andew Murray, Watchman Nee, Richard Baxter, E.M. Bounds, David Brainerd, and a host of others.  These have had a deep influence on who I am today.   While I found these inspiring and helpful, I had also unintentionally started to burden myself with the secular western mindset of being productive.  Instead of seeing a closer walk with God as the goal as I read, I started to see being a productive Christian as the goal.  Over the years, I lost myself in my gifts, talents, passions, callings, and a zeal to see God do things in my life and others.   I saw my purpose in life as being a Christian who accomplished great things for God.  I started to see the purpose of my Christian life as wracking up as much treasure in heaven (in the form of changed lives) as I possibly could.   I had come to see my Christian life as what God would do through me to reach and change the world rather than simply becoming the person He created me to be.   I've found that working on becoming who He created me to be has made me much more productive than when that was my main focus.  I've also found that life is simply much more enjoyable.  Sadly, it took me decades to reach this point.  I testify about what God has done in my life so that hopefully others can shave a few decades off this process.  :) 

Okay, it's all screenshotted on my smartphone for future reference!

Yayy

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

Just an idea, but it helps me to read up on some of the women in the bible, especially Leah, and Esther, and Sarah, to mention just a few. Reading the back story, seeing how God moved in their lives, and how they shaped the workings of God purpose. We women have so few good role models out there, especially women with no male Christian headship to help us. God is our strength and our fortress.

Hagar too and Leah! Yes. Good good idea

13 hours ago, naominash said:

This question is an emotional one. Information would only answer part of it.

The problem with my faith is that it's too weak. 

I don't fully submit to the Father's will --- that I live on the Earth serving Him until He takes me back.

I honestly wish I could skip all the pain of living here. All the loneliness and disappointment. 

I could be with Jesus forever and He's the true treasure. So what am I doing down here besides messing up, sinning, and wasting time getting scarred?

The truth is, I hate suffering. I deal with life and get up in the morning because I'm supposed to. But there's not true relish in it.

It's just like, " Is the Lord returning today?? If not... Why not go back to bed.

I feel ashamed to admit that because life is a gift and the Earth has good things in it for us to enjoy. 

Reasons to be here include:

* Evangelism

* Hidden evangelism (if Christians instantly disappeared when born again, Christ could not be a hidden treasure)

* Knowledge

* Growth

* Enjoyment of an abundant life

Suffering has more than 30 NT purposes--most of them benefiting born again believers. Meditate on Romans 5, for example, "[w]e know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

Romans 5 has helped me in this regard.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

* Evangelism

* Hidden evangelism (if Christians instantly disappeared when born again, Christ could not be a hidden treasure)

* Knowledge

* Growth

Suffering has more than 30 NT purposes--most of them benefiting born again believers. Meditate on Romans 5, for example, "[w]e know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

Amazing. The Holy Spirit brought this to mind last night but it was a little fuzzy.

39 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

* Evangelism

* Knowledge

* Growth

Thank you for this reminder.

Sign in to follow this