Glock

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was raised in the church and never questioned any of it. Now that I’m grown, I struggle to maintain my faith. These are the things keeping me from peace. If anyone can help me find answers, I honestly want understanding.

1) Biblical errors - most biblical “errors” admittedly aren’t relevant. But some trouble me greatly. For example, who caused David to take a census? Was it God? (2 Samuel 24:1) or Satan? (1 Choronicals 21:1) this has huge implications if you continue to read the story. Many other “contradictions” exist where there are two accounts given of one event. One example of this is how Judas dies (Matthew 27:5 vs. Acts 1:18) 

Does the Bible speak all truth? If it doesn’t, how do we know the important parts are true? 

2) Prayer - I’ve researched prayer thoroughly. Studies largely show that it doesn’t help (I can provide details if necessary) I don’t care for the idea of scientifically evaluating prayer, so I rely on my personal experience. I’ve had my share of trouble in life. Everything from depression, to homelessness, to being mugged and robbed (twice) through it all I prayed continuously and I just never felt or saw any change. Even looking back to praying for salvation. I’ve done it repeatedly. Every time with the utmost of sincerity, and I never feel that “peace” people testify to. 

Does prayer have a significant effect? Should I feel different after the prayer of salvation?

3) Why is it all so complicated? It seems like every time I study Christianity I just get more questions. Why did God require sacrifices (including his Son)? Why are Old Testament morals so different from my own? Why did Old Testament God focus on one nation instead of all His children? Why do “Christians” read the same book and have such different conclusions? Would God make things difficult/deceptive intentionally? (Matthew 16:18, Mark 4:11-12)

I have so many questions... it just seems like God would make it simpler, so people like me who truly want understanding could find it. 

I really appreciate anyone who read all that. Sorry if I asked too many questions at once lol. Helping me find an answer to just one would mean allot. If you don’t feel like commenting, prayers are always appreciated! 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Just woke up and read this and I can relate to most of what you asked and said.  I recently created a post titled " I ofter read of "God told me".".    I have read and heard of many people who said right here of God telling them to do something and I was just wanted to know the method that God "spoke" to them. The answers were varied and and mixed.

Probably later on I would say some more about your questions. I often pondered on the situation of David and the numbering of the people and as you said it had great consequences.  I have had many battles in the spiritual realm that confirms what the bible speaks of in terms of evil and the wiles of the devil.  Like you, I sometimes struggles with the lack of a personal intimacy with God, but my spirit would not let go of God as it sees the bible as the truth of our lives, even though we  struggle with the parts that we cannot come to terms with or understand fully, even though others say they have.

The question though is one of "doubt".  It is one of the most powerful weapons the enemy uses to draw the believer away from the truth and back into the worldly kingdom with all the glitters and  things that is placed seductively before us.   A believer has to come to grips with the term " suffering". It is a part of the christian life and each would have his own to bear.  Though Christ paid for it all, we are to endure hardship as a good soldier and not let the devil throw us of the pathway in our journey, which in the flesh is for a very short time. 

Things hope for, evidence not seen ..... 

Edited by warrior12
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Glock said:

Prayer - I’ve researched prayer thoroughly. Studies largely show that it doesn’t help

It helps me. How come I never get in on these "studies"?  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Glock said:

I have so many questions... it just seems like God would make it simpler, so people like me who truly want understanding could find it. 

On a more serious note.   You may find help by reading through the forums here. Reading what others have posted about prayer and the things they have gone through.  Sometimes God says "no" to our prayers. I don't know why.  All I know is I need to trust that God has a plan for me. Even though at times none of the things going on around me make any sense.  I am sorry I can not be of more help at this time. I am sure others on here will be able to answer your questions much better then me.   If at all possible it may help you to find a good pastor that you can sit down and have a talk with. By a good pastor I mean one where you can question everything without fear of their judgment.   If you have more questions feel free to ask. I know people here will do their best to answer them.  

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

8 hours ago, Glock said:

1) Biblical errors - most biblical “errors” admittedly aren’t relevant. But some trouble me greatly. For example, who caused David to take a census? Was it God? (2 Samuel 24:1) or Satan? (1 Choronicals 21:1) this has huge implications if you continue to read the story. Many other “contradictions” exist where there are two accounts given of one event. One example of this is how Judas dies (Matthew 27:5 vs. Acts 1:18) 

Does the Bible speak all truth? If it doesn’t, how do we know the important parts are true? 

God has written a great mystery of Himself in a begin where began has never been before... in many places I have found I lack capacity to continue in the leading of God's Word due to my weakness of demand to fit things in that which I have began in -yet- still knowing that He Who has written to me never has! The most necessary aspect of relationship with The Lord is just meditating on the Who of Him >WITH< Him in s/Spirit … 'ye must be born again' to have this with Him!

One aspect here in this is the begin of evil formed in lie by satan:
we know by the Genesis account God had created angels by the fourth day by the passage of Job

Job 38:6-7

6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
KJV

The greater mystery lies in the element of satan seeing from nothing these things that became by God just speaking them to be so and then thinking he could be god... if one examines the nature of lie you would see that in order for lie to even exist truth must first be- for lie is totally and completely dependent upon truth to exist in the perversion of truth... So just in this simple meditation of truth we see satan is totally dependent on God for his rebellion to even begin so then how can he be god by independence of being- which is the Who of God in God's statement of Himself I AM that I AM !...?...! 

More over how can a creature like as we by begin yet greater in ability say I will be god? We know that we cannot by begin how can he? Even more astounding here we see people all the time claiming to be god and die whoops there goes another lie..

Point:
My suspect of the answer is God moved David to number for a totally different reason that is not listed 2 Samuel account.  Satan always moving along to pervert truth so as to be god moves David, the Chronicles account, to the perversion of heart to number. You see life is always about the heart of motive... the why something is done... the end game and w/Who the foundation... If God then the eternity with Him~ if created thing then death and separation from that eternity with God for eternity.  David has walked with God in the fact of the bear, the lion, the giant Goliath, the victories in battles all because his reliance was upon God- the Samuel passage (perhaps) it was God strengthening him by the numbers God has given him :noidea: We know that God's anger was direct to Israel and by David numbering cause the people to rely upon their numbers rather than upon God...

however
the Chronicles passage was satan to rely upon the created element of numbers to rely upon victory...you want simplicity here it is - is your faith upon the created element or upon God... because I have given my heart to God I no longer find doubt in God's Word but of my ability to discern the intent of what is written... But I know it is perfect in it's build and I must continue to seek to understand all that God has for me in His way, truth, and life... this is the faith that delivers us from this death and darkness of lies and confusion and it is totally formed from His Word without doubt...

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, Glock said:

Hi, Glock.  Questions are the best way to settle things in your heart and mind because there ARE answers.

[1] How did Judas Iscariot die?  He hung himself in a field that he bought.  After hanging there a long while, his body bloated, fell from the tree, and burst open with his intestines spilling out.  Matthew tells you how he died.  Luke [author of Acts] tells you what happened to his dead body after a while.

[2]  Who incited David to take the census?  Ultimately, Satan.  2 Samuel 24:1 says, "Again the anger of the LORD was roused against Israel and he moved David against them to say, 'Go number Israel and Judah'".  

Who is that "he"?  It's Satan. God does not cause people to sin. [James 1:13].  The people had to be punished for their idolatry.  The devil "moved" David to sin and God allowed it for HIS purpose.  David would sin.  God would give him a choice of punishment and David chose for the people to suffer a plague.  David would soon regret it terribly that he put that on the people [not focusing on the deserved punishment].  David had compassion on his people and so did God.  God told his angel that brought the plague, "ENOUGH!"  God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.  Ezekiel 18:23 and 33:11.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

7 hours ago, Glock said:

1) Biblical errors - most biblical “errors” admittedly aren’t relevant. But some trouble me greatly. For example, who caused David to take a census? Was it God? (2 Samuel 24:1) or Satan? (1 Choronicals 21:1) this has huge implications if you continue to read the story. Many other “contradictions” exist where there are two accounts given of one event.

It can be both ... very easily.  For example, in the 1 Chronicles 21:1  Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel

In the 2 Samuel 24:1 passage it says, 2Sa 24:1  Again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.”

As a Father would discipline his child, it appears that God removed his hand of protection against Israel and allowed a judgment.  Of course, this judgment was stayed ... where?  At the Temple Mount, where later we find the Temples were built -- where God stopped the judgment against Israel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Steward

7 hours ago, Glock said:

2) Prayer - I’ve researched prayer thoroughly. Studies largely show that it doesn’t help (I can provide details if necessary) I don’t care for the idea of scientifically evaluating prayer, so I rely on my personal experience. I’ve had my share of trouble in life. Everything from depression, to homelessness, to being mugged and robbed (twice) through it all I prayed continuously and I just never felt or saw any change. Even looking back to praying for salvation. I’ve done it repeatedly. Every time with the utmost of sincerity, and I never feel that “peace” people testify to. 

I realize that most people praying ... do not pray as the Bible instructs us to pray.  So a research paper discussing prayer ... would be different depending on the saints that were praying!   Early in my walk, I read the autobiography of George Mueller, and how his prevailing prayer worked miracles!  There is an effectual working prayer of the saints ... that transforms from the smallest of things ... to even nations!  May I suggest reading a book, How to Pray by RA Torrey.  Or Asking and Receiving by John R Rice.   We'll send them to you as a gift from the ministry if you wish!  :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Steward

8 hours ago, Glock said:

Does prayer have a significant effect? Should I feel different after the prayer of salvation?

This is something I shared with someone the other day in my salvation experience.

In my own personal faith walk, I was in a period of 3 months whereby I was convicted of sin deeply ... and I felt as if I couldn't do anything without the weight of sin.  In Pilgrim's Progress, it describes Pilgrim's journey whereby he was constantly carrying this burden ... this is how I believe we are when we are in our incubation state.  As we struggle, we're fighting for faith.  

Honestly, I believe there's a lesson to be learned with Jacob wrestling with the Angel (the pre-incarnate Jesus) in Genesis 32.  Before this particular night, Jacob always offered a sacrifice to the God of Abraham and the God of Issac.  It was always a sacrifice to the God of His Fathers.  It wasn't until this night when Jacob refused to let go -- and said -- I will not let you go until you bless me -- then God changed His name from Jacob to Israel.  Afterwards, you see how Jacob offered sacrifices to the God of Israel.  It wasn't until his own wrestling match with the Lord -- that it became personal for him.  I believe every believe must go through his own "wrestling" match so to speak with the Lord.

In the 1700s , the famous evangelist Jonathan Edwards listed the stages of saving faith.

The first stage is the awareness of the horror of being eternally lost.

The second stage is the attempt to stop sinning to remove guilt.  The person tries to save himself any way he can, and comes to the futile realization that he cannot save himself.

The third stage is the realization that the seeker cannot save himself that only God can save him from his sin.

The fourth stage is the conviction that God is just in His judgment.  God is just in his condemnation of sin and the penalty of his sin.  The seeker comes to the place where he realizes that God does not have to save him and finds himself utterly at the mercy of God.

The fifth stage when the seeker becomes to have an affection for God and the Holy Spirit pours out upon the seeker the gift of salvation and fills his heart with the joy of knowing the seeker is truly saved.  Saving faith will fill a person so deeply that His and life are forever changed.  The new believer is so filled with love, that the believer can't wait to be in the arms of His savior.  And its this love that permeates his being and has a love that passes human understanding, even love that has the ability to love his enemies.

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Steward

8 hours ago, Glock said:

3) Why is it all so complicated? It seems like every time I study Christianity I just get more questions. 

Actually, the understanding of faith is as easy to understand that a child can grasp it.    Simple version, God created you and loves you.  The issue of sin separates us from God -- thus God sent His only Begotten Son to be the lamb of God for the world -- to take on the sins of the world.  When you believe in Jesus ... and turn to God in repentance ... your sins are now covered by the blood of the lamb and now you can be in right relationship with God!  It's nothing that we truly did ... but rather what God already did for us!

8 hours ago, Glock said:

Why did God require sacrifices (including his Son)?

The blood was thoroughly shown throughout the Scriptures ... and there is life in the blood.  Even Satanists realize there is power in blood as they continue to do blood ritual sacrifices for power.  There is something more than just blood ... and God used the blood to cover the sins of the world!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1