IGNORED

An atheist requires an answer

I have a great friend. Highly intelligentent and reasonable. I have good discussions with her. She asked something today that i need help to answer. 

What is the Biblical Christian view of suicide? What happens to the soul of a person who takes their own life? My friend says if christians  believe in a merciful loving God, how can it be that such a sad tormented soul could be punished for doing such a thing?  I do not know how to answer her as my understanding is limited on it. 

So point me please to actual Bible references please anyone then i can go back to her properly on this subject. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I hate it that people believe that suicide sends you to hell.  Their basis is that you die with unrepentant sin.

Well, we ALL die with unrepentant sin.  There's no way on earth to confess every single sin you've committed.  No way.  No how.  Not even conceivable.

Suicide is a grievous sin and hurts so many.  But if Jesus Christ did not die for all of our sins, then he died for none.

Sometimes, what is frightening to me is that people ask this question because THEY are contemplating suicide and they want spiritual permission.  I've seen that at least a dozen times.

John says just a couple of verses past John 3:16 that "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."  This means to me that yes, even suicide is forgiven.  But a Christian must be so cautious not to take this verse to mean that they can sin willy-nilly and it's alright.  One who believes that is more than likely not saved.

Paul says in Romans 8 that he is confident that nothing can separate us [Christians] from the love of God that includes "life nor death".  Death would include suicide.

Suicide does not mean automatic hell.

Yet, importantly, suicide nor any other sinful behavior is NOT an option for the Christian.  No Christian should want to meet God after taking their own life.  They would be forgiven, yes.  But it isn't not the way for Christians.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

...Thou shall not kill. Deuteronomy 5:17

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

55 minutes ago, Marandawont said:

...Thou shall not kill. Deuteronomy 5:17

Yeah, the Bible does say that, but what maryjane said applies too.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but just posting a Bible verse sounds rather cold, especially to anyone who's walked that road. That sort of thing doesn't help, and can seem like a slap in the face to someone who's really hurting because it can sound like the person saying it doesn't really care about them. I apologize if I'm wrong. 

I've been down that road in the past, and since I spend a lot of time with folks in recovery I know a lot of people who have been down that road too. Life in this world is not cut and dried, and the enemy just loves to bring up suicide when it seems like your whole world has just ended. Sometimes our minds can be so messed up, so overwhelmed that it seems like checking out is a good answer - but its never a good answer. Like maryjane said:

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

I am not sure that the act of suicide is a sin.

It is often the result of an unbalanced mind, a mental illness and obsession that others would be better off without us in their lives, the desperate act of one beside themselves with despair.

To talk of suicide, even plan suicide, is one thing. People can, and do, do that, often very calmly and over a long period of time. Seeming to be in control, deliberating, in a reasonable mental state, trying out the thoughts like they were planning a meal. Choosing which way to go. Feeling in control of their life by actively choosing to live or die. It can become an obsession - which again is a mental health issue.

To actually over-ride the huge barrier of self preservation and commit suicide, thats not the act of one in a normal mental state.

The Lord is the only one who knows both sides of the story in each case. 

"Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?"-- (end of) Gen 18:25

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  34

I believe there are triggers that make people feel hopeless, not an unbalanced sick brain. Perhaps just listening and being there for that person may help. I'm not aware the bible mentions suicide. I know that Satan and demons also want to drag people down who have suffered abuse and misfortune.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  15

20 minutes ago, walla299 said:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but just posting a Bible verse sounds rather cold especially to anyone who's walked that road. That sort of thing doesn't help, and can seem like a slap in the face to someone who's really hurting because it can sound like the person saying doesn't really care about them. I apologize if I'm wrong. 

Scripture is cold?

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

So point me please to actual Bible references please anyone then i can go back to her properly on this subject. 

She said point her in the right direction so I did. sorry I cant sugar coat the word.

I do empathize with her situation, Ive been there myself, God had to pull me out. But this scriptures is for starters...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

4 minutes ago, Marandawont said:

Scripture is cold?

No. Scripture is not cold, but just posting a verse with no other comment can seem pretty cold. Its even worse when people do that in person.

On the OP: There are also many suicide discussion threads on the site since the subject comes up fairly often. Perhaps a search of those would helpful also.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/28/1956

If a believer commits suicide then God always knew that they would.  They go to Heaven as if they died in any other way.  Suicide being a sin is a Catholic concept.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Suicide isn't God's will. It's an act of rebellion against Him. Nothing in the Bible justifies it, and while we empathise and sympathise with those impacted by suicide and should not speak in harsh judgment and condemnation, the truth is suicide is a work of the flesh, is ultimately selfish and does nothing to glorify God but rather is contrary to the work of the Comforter, His indwelling Spirit. 

Joh 10:10
(10)  The thief comes not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Jas 3:9-18
(9)  Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
(10)  Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
(11)  Does a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
(12)  Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
(13)  Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
(14)  But if you have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
(15)  This wisdom descends not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
(16)  For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
(17)  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
(18)  And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Ah i would never quote scripture at anyone. I myself would like to read the relevant bible verses, understand them then tell her about them. I first need to know what our Lord God tells us. I never spout scripture at anyone.