Best Ways to Pray?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone have a certain way that they structure their prayers that they can recommend? For me personally I usually just end up with mine imitating regular conversation, but I want to be more intentional and purposeful when I say my prayers. It's not that I've never prayed before, but I'm working to recommit myself to my faith and this seems like a place where I can make a good start. Any advice or recommendation are greatly appreciated, thank you and God bless!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Conversation with God is good. Intercessory prayer is better. God loves selflessness. No doubt.

George Washington used to pray 2 hours each morning and each evening kneeling before an open Bible

on a chair.

Praying the Psalms and Proverbs will open your understanding. And teach you a thing or two about praising the Lord.

Some pray eyes closed, others eyes open, some even look to heaven in prayer.

Some lift hands (which IMHO is as the Lord praying on the cross... but there's no indication he ever prayed that way at other times).

Some kneel, some stand, some prostrate / prone position pray. Some pray in silence, others out loud, others shout.

Devotional prayers are good to establish the practice but too often we fall into rote habit... 

Every week at certain churches the Lord's prayer is recited. Hey, if that's what the folks need, I am not knocking it.

I lapse into parts of prayer that I used to think had to be prayed... but now I just pray it because I know it's what the Lord wants 

and I do too... like praying for the peace of Jerusalem... which is essentially praying for the salvation of the Jewish people...

praying for my enemies (used to be hard to stomach) but a line in Fiddler on the Roof that was intended to be funny actually works!

I pray the Lord blesses an enemy and keeps them... far away from me and mine.

You know, that prayer really does work!

I guess the common denominator is taking prayer seriously.

If you think about it, you can talk to God anywhere, any time, in a bunch of different ways (as a believer in his Son) and this is the Creator of all things...

Try getting an audience with just about anyone down here (especially with any semblance of authority)... "You can have two minutes, a year  from Tuesday..."

John 16:26–27 (AV)
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

• Thumbs Up 2