IGNORED

What exactly does it mean to let Jesus run my life completely?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have made the decision recently to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior once and for all, and I know that this means that I have turned my life over to Him instead of trying to run it myself (which I have seen referred to as the root of sin). Since I am kind of new to this experience of giving my life over to God completely, some people that I know (wonderful well-meaning people I should specify) are concerned that it means I will "stop making an effort to go after things that I want". I guess I am wondering about this too. How do I know if a choice I am making is me following God's plan for my life, or me trying to run my own life? Obviously if I am making a choice that I know is against what God says is right then it would be a sin, but other than that it seems a little ambiguous to me. Any help is much appreciated, thank you and God bless!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

it's kind of hard to put into words for it is something for me that took a bit of time to get a grip on....   it's more an experience than knowing what to do....

For instance many years ago I wanted to make a change in my career...   I was a successful Television studio director and pretty successful at that, but it didn't really pay well.   I tried to make a move and it failed miserably...   I thought I had a job at North American Rockwell installing electronics in air planes....   all worked out well leaving the tv station but the weekend it was final, they fired the plant manager at the plant I was supposed to work at and all of a sudden that job was no longer available....    they let me work on the line drilling holes and shooting rivets but that is a real nowhere job....

It took about six months but God worked out for me to go to work for Xerox Corp and that turned into a 38 year career and a very good retirement....    But the only reason I got the Job was that the Lord did things to make it happen....   things outside my power to affect...

That is just an example....   all the day long I take things to him and discuss with him in my mind as to how to accomplish things or walk away.      I've actually had him repair equipment that I was having trouble finding the problems over the years....   sometimes pointing thigs out to me and sometimes the things just started working for no reason at all....

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,564
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 1/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, Eagle2017 said:

I have made the decision recently to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior once and for all, and I know that this means that I have turned my life over to Him instead of trying to run it myself (which I have seen referred to as the root of sin). Since I am kind of new to this experience of giving my life over to God completely, some people that I know (wonderful well-meaning people I should specify) are concerned that it means I will "stop making an effort to go after things that I want". I guess I am wondering about this too. How do I know if a choice I am making is me following God's plan for my life, or me trying to run my own life? Obviously if I am making a choice that I know is against what God says is right then it would be a sin, but other than that it seems a little ambiguous to me. Any help is much appreciated, thank you and God bless!

Hi Eagle2017,

Welcome. I must start out by stating I haven't a clue regarding what you have been told is the route of sin, nor of how one turns everything over to Jesus. Nor do I understand the idea of having Jesus run my life for me (That sounds scarily more like a scientology or mormon concept to me).

God did not tell me to park my brains and be a Christian. Instead He had me learn anew much that I thought I already knew about life, while keeping me very busy at my then present  tasks,  jobs, schooling, tending to family,  with the added worship of Him and learning the Bible , and how to make application  in my life for it's teaching so that I may  better serve what He would indeed lead me into as I went forward.

That is the way it has been for me anyway, for 35 years now.  It became a privilege as well as a duty to add the new things I learned. It has taken years, even decades, and I still am learning. One thing I know, no one is to do is just sit and wait. You are going to get mighty bored and hungry doing that and will just look to be rather lazy and perhaps stupid for God.

As a start do not up and quit anything in the way of career, school, nor family. What waiting you do, do as you actively read the Bible, study the Bible, pray about what you read, and ask of God for guidance in how to apply it. Do it all while seeking the benefit of the best elders, and teachers too.

One thing you can do immediately is try to change your mindset as you do all things- Do everything you do in a manner that glorifies God.  As you read study, pray, ask of elders and teachers, you will learn ever more fully each day what it  means to do all that you do to the glory of God. Be patient  yet also active in your study, prayer, and in making application of what you learn .

Enjoy the excitement of  being born again! It is a great joy, and it will continue to be even more so especially in the dark and harder times of life.

May God the Holy Spirit lead you to a fine local body of Christ where you may have fellowship with  the brethren, gain excellent teachers, and have  strong pastoral guidance.

Take care, and again welcome.It is a pleasure to  join all the angels in heaven in rejoicing over your salvation.