IGNORED

Eschatologists, what version of the Bible?

Omegaman 3.0

Favorite version for Bible Study  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Please select your preferred version for Bible study from the offerings below.

• American King James Version
    • American Standard Version
    • English Revised Version
    • English Standard Version
    • King James Version
    • New American Standard Version
    • New International Version
    • New King James Version
    • New Living Translation
    • Revised Standard Version

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Hi all! I am beginning a project that I hope will help people study this topic, with greater ease. On thing that would be very helpful to me, is to know which translations we prefer to use in study. I will then work on this project, around some of the most favored versions. I probably will not be doing much with the more obscure versions, but for now, could you choose from among those listed? Thanks in advance for your help.

I know some of you will want to add comments. I am not promising that I will read them, if I read them, I may or may not respond to them.

I do suggest however, that you try to refrain from debating Bible versions, or expressing why you believe your favorite is better than the other person's favorite. There are already threads on that at Worthy. My purpose here, is only to discover which of the above, people who study eschatology prefer, so I may prioritize the versions I support in my upcoming project. Again, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the votes so far, you people are awesome!

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

For me it was a tossup between New American Standard and New King James versions :)  I chose New King James because it has an excellent balance between readability and technical precision.  My impression is the New American Standard is more technically precise, and slightly less readable but only marginal differences in both  cases. 

I also use the Amplified Bible which you did not list and it will always be nearby when I study.  That one I very seldom do daily reading from, but its an invaluable resource for bringing nuanced meanings of the original words that are simply not fully translatable into single english  words.

RSV and any paraphrased versions I have no interest in at all.

• This is Worthy 1

5 hours ago, Jostler said:

My impression is the New American Standard is more technically precise, and slightly less readable but only marginal differences in both  cases. 

I tend to agree with that assessment, but note that the source manuscripts are different. Matters little though, I think. Thanks for voting.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

You can read till your eyes fall out as to which family of manuscripts are the one.... ending in a blind man must have faith :) 

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/23/2019 at 4:54 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Hi all! I am beginning a project that I hope will help people study this topic, with greater ease. On thing that would be very helpful to me, is to know which translations we prefer to use in study. I will then work on this project, around some of the most favored versions. I probably will not be doing much with the more obscure versions, but for now, could you choose from among those listed? Thanks in advance for your help.

I know some of you will want to add comments. I am not promising that I will read them, if I read them, I may or may not respond to them.

I do suggest however, that you try to refrain from debating Bible versions, or expressing why you believe your favorite is better than the other person's favorite. There are already threads on that at Worthy. My purpose here, is only to discover which of the above, people who study eschatology prefer, so I may prioritize the versions I support in my upcoming project. Again, thanks for the help.

The poll results are VERY telling!

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,191
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 2/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, enoob57 said:

You can read till your eyes fall out as to which family of manuscripts are the one.... ending in a blind man must have faith :) 

Nice idea, but completely off the rails.   

One must have something upon which to base one's faith.  God doesn't expect anyone to believe in something without telling them what to believe in first.   You've got your cart before the horse - a situation that is neither appropriate nor workable.   I believe you are trying to say that after all the reading is done one is expected to act on faith.  (book of James)  I agree with that point of view, but am also trying to address the main topic of this thread - which Bible is best.

Faith comes by hearing as well as reading.   One must hear or read something first - then act.   Many of us are blind and the rest choose their particular sort of blindness.   It's a mixture of defense mechanism and intellectual bias with a bit of bigotry tossed in for flavor.  Everybody does it.  Only fools deny it happens.   Oppressors use it to their advantage - in church and outside church.

DO YOU HAVE AN ATTORNEY?

Have you been to his or her office for a consultation?  Everyone should have a Last Will and Testament.  That's one reason to make an appointment with a family attorney.

When you enter the lawyer's office you'll see shelves full of books.   A good lawyer doesn't restrict himself to one book only.   A good one will use an entire library of books.

The same thing is true for the Bible.   Many have a favorite Bible, but those who wish to plumb the depths of God's Word will have several from which to glean His wisdom.  There is no such thing as one particular Bible in exclusion of all the rest.   Unless one is willing to learn Hebrew, one has to work with translations and that's why several versions must be consulted.

The important thing is to read and study.  (2 Timothy 2:15)

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by choir loft

33 minutes ago, choir loft said:

Nice idea, but completely off the rails.   

One must have something upon which to base one's faith.  God doesn't expect anyone to believe in something without telling them what to believe in first.   You've got your cart before the horse - a situation that is neither appropriate nor workable.   I believe you are trying to say that after all the reading is done one is expected to act on faith.  (book of James)  I agree with that point of view, but am also trying to address the main topic of this thread - which Bible is best.

Faith comes by hearing as well as reading.   One must hear or read something first - then act.   Many of us are blind and the rest choose their particular sort of blindness.   It's a mixture of defense mechanism and intellectual bias with a bit of bigotry tossed in for flavor.  Everybody does it.  Only fools deny it happens.   Oppressors use it to their advantage - in church and outside church.

DO YOU HAVE AN ATTORNEY?

Have you been to his or her office for a consultation?  Everyone should have a Last Will and Testament.  That's one reason to make an appointment with a family attorney.

When you enter the lawyer's office you'll see shelves full of books.   A good lawyer doesn't restrict himself to one book only.   A good one will use an entire library of books.

The same thing is true for the Bible.   Many have a favorite Bible, but those who wish to plumb the depths of God's Word will have several from which to glean His wisdom.  There is no such thing as one particular Bible in exclusion of all the rest.   Unless one is willing to learn Hebrew, one has to work with translations and that's why several versions must be consulted.

The important thing is to read and study.  (2 Timothy 2:15)

I think you pretty much missed the context of my comment :) 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,191
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I think you pretty much missed the context of my comment :) 

Did I not write; "I believe you are trying to say that after all the reading is done one is expected to act on faith."

Was that correct or not?

A blind man has no faith in anything except darkness.    Are you attempting to say the Bible isn't true or that God's light is unnecessary?

If I missed the context of your comment its because your words were too ambiguous.

7 hours ago, choir loft said:

Did I not write; "I believe you are trying to say that after all the reading is done one is expected to act on faith."

Was that correct or not?

A blind man has no faith in anything except darkness.    Are you attempting to say the Bible isn't true or that God's light is unnecessary?

If I missed the context of your comment its because your words were too ambiguous.

No my reference was to determining which greek manuscripts are the closest to the original writing... thus by faith one says this one another says that one etc...

• Thumbs Up 1