backontrack

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

Was the Azusa Street Revival real of a hyped up event brought on by false teachers and a false prophet? If it was real are we going to have another?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

41 minutes ago, backontrack said:

Was the Azusa Street Revival real of a hyped up event brought on by false teachers and a false prophet? If it was real are we going to have another?

It was a century or so ago so we can look at the results of it.  It was a part of the budding pentecostal movement which has now had a world wide impact.  

A number of years ago when talking with some LDS missionaries, I did some research on the growth rate of a few uniquely American started groups, LDS, JW, SDA, and pentecostals.   My premise was that a man-made group would only show growth along lines of natural birth rates whereas a move of God would show a growth rate much larger due to people being saved.  What I found was that the growth of the LDS and JWs was at an annual rate that approximated natural birth and growth.  In other words, most LDS and JWs are born into it.  In contrast, the pentecostal movement in a shorter time showed a growth rate that came primarily from evangelism and converts.   LDS started close to two centuries ago with about 15 million today.  There are between 8 and 9 million active JWs today.   Interestingly, there about about 20 million SDAs (spread around the world) and showing a growth rate somewhat faster than LDS and JW.  

In contrast, the AoG have about 70 million members worldwide and they are just one of many pentecostal groups.  Doing a quick search, it looks like there are estimated to be another 20 to 30 million members of similar pentecostal groups.   There are then perhaps 250 million pentecostals and charismatics in independent types of churches and groups.  In addition, about another 250 million or so charismatics still in mainline denominations.   Overall, pentecostals and charismatics are estimated to be about 1/4 of the total of Christians in the world.   Here's a link to an interesting article from the Pew Research Foundation about pentecostals and charismatics around the world  http://www.pewforum.org/2006/10/05/spirit-and-power/   It's interesting to note the rapid growth of numbers of pentecostal and charismatic Christians in Latin America and Africa.  In 1970 pentecostals and charismatics were between 4% and 5% of the total population of Latin America whereas in 2005 they were about 28% of the total population.  As of 2005 or so, about 3/4 of protestants in Latin America were pentecostal.

Bottom line is in about 200 years, 15 million LDS (mostly in the US) in a monolithic group;  in about 150 years, 9 million active JWs (with another 11 million that attend a service) in a monolithic group; in about 150 years 20 million SDA;  and in a bit over a century, between 500 and 600 million pentecostals and charismatics across a range of denominations, churches, and ministries and regions of the world.  LDS point to Joseph Smith and hold to his writings.  JWs point to CT Russel and point to his writings.  Many SDAs point to Ellen White and her writings.   Most pentecostals and charismatics have never heard of Azusa street and those who have probably couldn't name a single person who was there.  It is a movement that rapidly spread beyond particular individuals.   In many places in the world, pentecostals are the fastest growing Christian group.  One can either choose to decide that this is a move of God, or a huge deceit of the devil that has become what would probably be the fastest growing false religion in history.

Personally, I've known many Christians who came to Christ through pentecostal and charismatic churches and ministries and spent their entire Christian life there.  I've observed many of them for decades and have no reason to doubt that they are indeed Christians.

With regard to whether we are going to have another such movement, in one sense this movement has not really stopped since it started. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, backontrack said:

It was real, ...in a nut-shell, the Azusa Street Revival 1906-1909 was a movement of the Holy Spirit to reintroduce God Agape's love back into the Church after so many decades of certain denominations teaching that after the first century the Holy Spirit was no longer active in the Church, pastor Seymour tried to make it a speaking in tongues revival, but instead the Holy Spirit poured out His Agape Love for three years, ...people from all races and socials walk of life came together to Worship the Lord, the pastor placed a wooden box by the door and as people entered they dropped money in, and when people left the needy took what they needed, pastor Seymour said the revival will last only as long as the people continue to manifest the Agape love in their lives, ...then one young woman blurted out something unintelligible and they said she was speaking in Chinese, the church sent her to China to Evangelize in her "new" tongue and it was a complete failure.

However, if you google it today you will find history has been rewritten to prolong the revival for six years to try and justify the modern daily Pentecostal heresy,

In answer to your question about another, ...yes there has been, ...it was in Southern California in 1965 and was called by the Press the Jesus People Movement, not only did the Holy Spirit pour out His Agape Love again, but He called the Church back to His Word with His method (1 Jn 2:27) of teaching book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, ..today the Revival has grown to be the largest non-denominational Church in the World and the Revival is still active today in the Power of the Holy Spirit just as it was back in '65.  

Lord bless 

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

It was a century or so ago so we can look at the results of it.  It was a part of the budding pentecostal movement which has now had a world wide impact.  

A number of years ago when talking with some LDS missionaries, I did some research on the growth rate of a few uniquely American started groups, LDS, JW, SDA, and pentecostals.   My premise was that a man-made group would only show growth along lines of natural birth rates whereas a move of God would show a growth rate much larger due to people being saved.  What I found was that the growth of the LDS and JWs was at an annual rate that approximated natural birth and growth.  In other words, most LDS and JWs are born into it.  In contrast, the pentecostal movement in a shorter time showed a growth rate that came primarily from evangelism and converts.   LDS started close to two centuries ago with about 15 million today.  There are between 8 and 9 million active JWs today.   Interestingly, there about about 20 million SDAs (spread around the world) and showing a growth rate somewhat faster than LDS and JW.  

In contrast, the AoG have about 70 million members worldwide and they are just one of many pentecostal groups.  Doing a quick search, it looks like there are estimated to be another 20 to 30 million members of similar pentecostal groups.   There are then perhaps 250 million pentecostals and charismatics in independent types of churches and groups.  In addition, about another 250 million or so charismatics still in mainline denominations.   Overall, pentecostals and charismatics are estimated to be about 1/4 of the total of Christians in the world.   Here's a link to an interesting article from the Pew Research Foundation about pentecostals and charismatics around the world  http://www.pewforum.org/2006/10/05/spirit-and-power/   It's interesting to note the rapid growth of numbers of pentecostal and charismatic Christians in Latin America and Africa.  In 1970 pentecostals and charismatics were between 4% and 5% of the total population of Latin America whereas in 2005 they were about 28% of the total population.  As of 2005 or so, about 3/4 of protestants in Latin America were pentecostal.

Bottom line is in about 200 years, 15 million LDS (mostly in the US) in a monolithic group;  in about 150 years, 9 million active JWs (with another 11 million that attend a service) in a monolithic group; in about 150 years 20 million SDA;  and in a bit over a century, between 500 and 600 million pentecostals and charismatics across a range of denominations, churches, and ministries and regions of the world.  LDS point to Joseph Smith and hold to his writings.  JWs point to CT Russel and point to his writings.  Many SDAs point to Ellen White and her writings.   Most pentecostals and charismatics have never heard of Azusa street and those who have probably couldn't name a single person who was there.  It is a movement that rapidly spread beyond particular individuals.   In many places in the world, pentecostals are the fastest growing Christian group.  One can either choose to decide that this is a move of God, or a huge deceit of the devil that has become what would probably be the fastest growing false religion in history.

Personally, I've known many Christians who came to Christ through pentecostal and charismatic churches and ministries and spent their entire Christian life there.  I've observed many of them for decades and have no reason to doubt that they are indeed Christians.

With regard to whether we are going to have another such movement, in one sense this movement has not really stopped since it started. 

Makes since what you have written and statistics you quote. Next question, I read that William Seymore a Black one eyed pastor was head of this revival and he would come out with a box over his head until God told him to remove it. He was spirit filled and many Miracles took place one lady would look up and pull body organs from the organ room in heaven, arms, legs etc. Would love to see something like this and fill the Glory of God. I did once fill God's presence really strong in the 70's and can not get this it out of my mind.  I long for that touch once again and pray my kids and wife could have it happen. Every time I think of it I almost break down it tears it was so strong. Here is another site I found of something similar, check it out. Artic Fire

Edited by George
Removed Video -- All videos need to be posted in the Videos section. You can post the video there -- then link to that video page within this post.

9 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

It was real, ...in a nut-shell, the Azusa Street Revival 1906-1909 was a movement of the Holy Spirit to reintroduce God Agape's love back into the Church after so many decades of certain denominations teaching that after the first century the Holy Spirit was no longer active in the Church, pastor Seymour tried to make it a speaking in tongues revival, but instead the Holy Spirit poured out His Agape Love for three years, ...people from all races and socials walk of life came together to Worship the Lord, the pastor placed a wooden box by the door and as people entered they dropped money in, and when people left the needy took what they needed, pastor Seymour said the revival will last only as long as the people continue to manifest the Agape love in their lives, ...then one young woman blurted out something unintelligible and they said she was speaking in Chinese, the church sent her to China to Evangelize in her "new" tongue and it was a complete failure.

However, if you google it today you will find history has been rewritten to prolong the revival for six years to try and justify the modern daily Pentecostal heresy,

In answer to your question about another, ...yes there has been, ...it was in Southern California in 1965 and was called by the Press the Jesus People Movement, not only did the Holy Spirit pour out His Agape Love again, but He called the Church back to His Word with His method (1 Jn 2:27) of teaching book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, ..today the Revival has grown to be the largest non-denominational Church in the World and the Revival is still active today in the Power of the Holy Spirit just as it was back in '65.  

Lord bless 

Man reading and listening about how California has become they really need it again not saying the world does to but the liberals have gone off there rockers their.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

1 minute ago, backontrack said:

Man reading and listening about how California has become they really need it again not saying the world does to but the liberals have gone off there rockers their.

Unfortunately, I live in the midst of it :)  It's probably worse than you think :)

• This is Worthy 1

1 hour ago, Jostler said:

Unfortunately, I live in the midst of it :)  It's probably worse than you think :) Have faith it's coming.

Edited by George
Removed Video -- All videos need to be posted in the Videos section. You can post the video there -- then link to that video page within this post.

The true and faithful churches are still there, ...why do you think the enemy is so active there?

May I humbly suggest, the "Presence" you talked about in your other post was in one of those churches, in my church back in the States while I was there '88-'91, we experienced His Presence every time we came together to Worship our Lord.

Lord bless

1 hour ago, JustPassingThru said:

The true and faithful churches are still there, ...why do you think the enemy is so active there?

May I humbly suggest, the "Presence" you talked about in your other post was in one of those churches, in my church back in the States while I was there '88-'91, we experienced His Presence every time we came together to Worship our Lord.

Lord bless

I am weeping right now as I long to be in the presence of the almighty and ask please God do it again.

Edited by George

I am weeping right now as I long to be in the presence of the almighty and ask please God do it again.

Find a church that is teaching the Word book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse..., Worship is preparing our hearts to receive the teaching of God's Word, in so doing Father has promised He will come (His Presence) and inhabit the praises of His people Psm 22:3.

PM me if you want more info...

Lord bless