• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 1/24/2019 at 5:16 AM, UnprofitableServantJames said:

There are many denominations who all believe in the same person... Jesus. This shouldn't be so!

Let us try and come together to find a united approach on what a Christian means, so we can try and put together the body of Christ. The first century Christians are a good example of what followers of Jesus looked like. 

Acts 2:44- 47 46

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Where is this singleness of heart that the first Christians experienced? Let's strive to bring that back to what we call Christianity today.

What do you believe is a Christian? Please give a thoughtful and prayerful answer. Leave the debates out of this. Let's work towards unity trying to set aside our differences and come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart.

In peace

Shabbat shalom, UnprofitableServantJames.

These are not simple questions that you ask. While I understand what you're asking, the solution is going to take more than one person or a group of human beings can give. The reason for that is that no one person or group of human beings has any more authority than does another! The simple answer is that the Holy Spirit could draw us all back together as one, but even that is not a simple answer in reality! People don't always listen to the Holy Spirit of God, and they hear what they want to hear when they do, focusing on one point to the exclusion of other points the Spirit of God may be making, as well!

First, let's get the small stuff out of the way. The Greek phrase, "eichon hapanta koina" (vs. 44) simply means "holding all-things shared," and it's talking about the early church sharing everything they owned out of necessity, distributing those things to those people who really needed those things to survive. They had a communal arrangement; theirs was a pure commune! This was ESPECIALLY necessary in those days because they lived in a world that was hostile to them! The Jewish religious rulers were against them, willing to imprison them or to have them put to death, and the Romans looked at them as just another faction of Jews who were resisting Roman rulership, no matter how peacefully they were doing so! The Greeks of the commercial world in which they lived were more interested in their wealth and had their own religious devotion to their pantheon of gods and godesses, into which these believers of one God didn't fit!

Now, let's look at the word "Christian." Originally, the "church" was called "The Way." And, believers in the Way were simply called "believers."

Acts 11:25-26 (KJV)

25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The word "Christians" (Greek: Christianous, the accusative case of the plural form Christianoi, the singular being Christianos) means:

5546 Christianos (khris-tee-an-os'). From Christos; a Christian, i.e. Follower of Christ -- Christian.

It is said to also be "a diminutive of Christos used as a derogatory term." A "diminutive" is best seen in the Spanish addition of "-ita" or "-ito" to the end of one's name, such as "Juan" being made to be "Juanito" for a boy, or "Juana" being made to be "Juanita" for a girl. It's also seen in "Señora" being made into "Señorita," or as we abbreviate in English, "Mrs." ("Missus") being made into "Miss."

Thus, "Christianos" would be a "young Christos" or a "little Christ," and since "Christos" means "an anointed one," this would be a "little anointed one."

A "derogatory term" is a term that denigrates or puts down the person to whom it is ascribed. However, this term that was meant to disgrace, dishonor, disrespect, discredit, and humiliate the believer was OWNED AND VALUED by the early believers, because of their respect for the Christos whom they served! So, they became "Christianoi," "khris-tee-an-oy'," "Christians."

What Willa said to you is a good example of what it means to be a believer.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, Willa said:

A Christian is a person in whom Christ lives (or abides).  

Jhn 13:35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Jhn 15:4 “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

Jhn 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Jhn 15:6 “If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

Jhn 15:7 “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Jhn 15:8 “By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Jhn 15:9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

So, maybe the answer is NOT to "come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart." Maybe it's to show love to one another in such a way that we continue "daily with one accord [in the temple], and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat (food) with gladness and singleness of heart." And, doing all this with "love for one another!"

Maybe, we should follow His commands: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love."

Let others COME TO YOU because of what they see in you! Don't attempt to come to them! Focus on the ONE GOD, not on our lack of unity!

I don't believe that there will be a problem with a lack of unity when we stand together before the King, the returned and victorious Yeshua` haMelekh (King Jesus). He won't LET us be divided!

John 13:35 (KJV)

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Edited by Retrobyter

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, UnprofitableServantJames said:

It seems you are wanting to see what you want to see.

I made it clear that the unity I want to find is to bring people to obey Jesus. If you don't agree with that then you don't agree with Jesus.

John 17:11, "And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."

If you don't want to become one with the Father then that is fine. Jesus, however, came to cause divisions among people that don't believe in Him. This shouldn't be so if we are supposedly believers in Jesus. Even Paul says this in 1 Corinthians 1. Nevertheless, if you don't want to put any of Jesus' teachings aside, then let me know if you are following this one:

Luke 14:33, "Whosoever be of you that does not forsake ALL that he has, cannot be my disciple."

You want not put any of Jesus' words aside, then I expect that you have done this? If not, I would question whether Isaiah prophesy applies to YOU...

Matthew 15:7-9, "

Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

In peace

Edited by frienduff thaylorde

1 hour ago, Retrobyter said:

These are not simple questions that you ask. While I understand what you're asking, the solution is going to take more than one person or a group of human beings can give. The reason for that is that no one person or group of human beings has any more authority than does another! The simple answer is that the Holy Spirit could draw us all back together as one, but even that is not a simple answer in reality! People don't always listen to the Holy Spirit of God, and they hear what they want to hear when they do, focusing on one point to the exclusion of other points the Spirit of God may be making, as well!

First, let's get the small stuff out of the way. The Greek phrase, "eichon hapanta koina" (vs. 44) simply means "holding all-things shared," and it's talking about the early church sharing everything they owned out of necessity, distributing those things to those people who really needed those things to survive. They had a communal arrangement; theirs was a pure commune! This was ESPECIALLY necessary in those days because they lived in a world that was hostile to them! The Jewish religious rulers were against them, willing to imprison them or to have them put to death, and the Romans looked at them as just another faction of Jews who were resisting Roman rulership, no matter how peacefully they were doing so! The Greeks of the commercial world in which they lived were more interested in their wealth and had their own religious devotion to their pantheon of gods and godesses, into which these believers of one God didn't fit!

Now, let's look at the word "Christian." Originally, the "church" was called "The Way." And, believers in the Way were simply called "believers."

25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The word "Christians" (Greek: Christianous, the accusative case of the plural form Christianoi, the singular being Christianos) means:

5546 Christianos (khris-tee-an-os'). From Christos; a Christian, i.e. Follower of Christ -- Christian.

It is said to also be "a diminutive of Christos used as a derogatory term." A "diminutive" is best seen in the Spanish addition of "-ita" or "-ito" to the end of one's name, such as "Juan" being made to be "Juanito" for a boy, or "Juana" being made to be "Juanita" for a girl. It's also seen in "Señora" being made into "Señorita," or as we abbreviate in English, "Mrs." ("Missus") being made into "Miss."

Thus, "Christianos" would be a "young Christos" or a "little Christ," and since "Christos" means "an anointed one," this would be a "little anointed one."

A "derogatory term" is a term that denigrates or puts down the person to whom it is ascribed. However, this term that was meant to disgrace, dishonor, disrespect, discredit, and humiliate the believer was OWNED AND VALUED by the early believers, because of their respect for the Christos whom they served! So, they became "Christianoi," "khris-tee-an-oy'," "Christians."

So, maybe the answer is NOT to "come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart." Maybe it's to show love to one another in such a way that we continue "daily with one accord [in the temple], and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat (food) with gladness and singleness of heart." And, doing all this with "love for one another!"

Maybe, we should follow His commands: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love."

Let others COME TO YOU because of what they see in you! Don't attempt to come to them! Focus on the ONE GOD, not on our lack of unity!

I don't believe that there will be a problem with a lack of unity when we stand together before the King, the returned and victorious Yeshua` haMelekh (King Jesus). He won't LET us be divided!

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

OH dear .  this is that unity stuff I have been warning against .   THE GOSPLE ALONE MUST Be forefront .  they must come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart .

This loving them to JESUS we got sold , ITS NOT WORKING .   

We have to sound out the gospel of repent and believe .   We must stand as did the early ones and true ones have through all generations .

Yall this stuff rick warren sold is lies .     And what he and others like the pope have sold about finding common ground is lies .

Our common ground CAN ONLY BE CHRIST and MUST BE SOUND DOCTRINE FOCUSED .     Folks need correction .

Why on earth would anyone say , so maybe the answer is NOT TO COME TO CHRIST with a broken and contrite heart ,   just show love .  What an oxymorone .

FOR IF WE TRULY DID LOVE WE WOULD SAY and tell all , YE must Repent and COME to Christ with a broken and contrite heart .  THAT TYPE OF HEART , GOD ACCEPTS .

• This is Worthy 1

That sounds so opposite of the GREAT COMMSION CHRIST gave ,  HE said GO YE OUT INTO ALL THE WORLD and make desicples of men .

NOT THIS , OH LET THEM COME TO YOU AND YOU DONT GO TO THEM .   THIS is that unity stuff .   Yall this is all backwards .

We need toget back in bibles and flee men that teach evangelism like this .

While it is true that some will see this in us and approach us ,   WE ALSO need to be sounding OUT the gospel , saying and doing just as the true ones did .

Rick warrens evangelism stinks .   He even said the man of peace can be a muslim .  YALL this evangelism is not Christ centered .

ITS not about that , its about good works in unity with the world  AND THAT cannot be .  that causes folks to  fall away . THE GOSPLE

must be at the front of the line .  JESUS must be sounded out as the ONLY WAY for salvation and as HE even said , if one receives this not , shake the dust off your feet

and move on .    We don't hang out to only fall away .    SOUND OUT THAT GOSPLE EVERYONE .  

IF we do as JESUS said ,    and do HIS approach and the apostels approach , THEN WE ON the right path .   todays men are most of them lost .

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Careful here brother.......we need to be good Bereans and test and check our own thoughts against scripture to see if it is so, looking at the whole counsel of God and not isolated verses.  If it isn't so, then let the word of God take our thoughts captive...ie, correct and conform our thoughts to the word.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

10 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

OH dear .  this is that unity stuff I have been warning against .   THE GOSPLE ALONE MUST Be forefront .  they must come to Christ with a broken and contrite heart .

This loving them to JESUS we got sold , ITS NOT WORKING .   

We have to sound out the gospel of repent and believe .   We must stand as did the early ones and true ones have through all generations .

Yall this stuff rick warren sold is lies .     And what he and others like the pope have sold about finding common ground is lies .

Our common ground CAN ONLY BE CHRIST and MUST BE SOUND DOCTRINE FOCUSED .     Folks need correction .

Why on earth would anyone say , so maybe the answer is NOT TO COME TO CHRIST with a broken and contrite heart ,   just show love .  What an oxymorone .

FOR IF WE TRULY DID LOVE WE WOULD SAY and tell all , YE must Repent and COME to Christ with a broken and contrite heart .  THAT TYPE OF HEART , GOD ACCEPTS .

10 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

That sounds so opposite of the GREAT COMMSION CHRIST gave ,  HE said GO YE OUT INTO ALL THE WORLD and make desicples of men .

NOT THIS , OH LET THEM COME TO YOU AND YOU DONT GO TO THEM .   THIS is that unity stuff .   Yall this is all backwards .

We need toget back in bibles and flee men that teach evangelism like this .

While it is true that some will see this in us and approach us ,   WE ALSO need to be sounding OUT the gospel , saying and doing just as the true ones did .

Rick warrens evangelism stinks .   He even said the man of peace can be a muslim .  YALL this evangelism is not Christ centered .

ITS not about that , its about good works in unity with the world  AND THAT cannot be .  that causes folks to  fall away . THE GOSPLE

must be at the front of the line .  JESUS must be sounded out as the ONLY WAY for salvation and as HE even said , if one receives this not , shake the dust off your feet

and move on .    We don't hang out to only fall away .    SOUND OUT THAT GOSPLE EVERYONE .  

IF we do as JESUS said ,    and do HIS approach and the apostels approach , THEN WE ON the right path .   todays men are most of them lost .

7 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Careful here brother.......we need to be good Bereans and test and check our own thoughts against scripture to see if it is so, looking at the whole counsel of God and not isolated verses.  If it isn't so, then let the word of God take our thoughts captive...ie, correct and conform our thoughts to the word.

Shalom, brothers.

Wow! I don't think I've EVER been so misunderstood! I'm not pushing FOR ecumenism; I'm pushing AGAINST it!

Frienduff thaylorde, your responses make the LEAST sense! How can Yeshua`s words to "love one another" be opposite to His Great Commission?! Can you recognize your nonsense here?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Shalom, brothers.

Wow! I don't think I've EVER been so misunderstood! I'm not pushing FOR ecumenism; I'm pushing AGAINST it!

Frienduff thaylorde, your responses make the LEAST sense! How can Yeshua`s words to "love one another" be opposite to His Great Commission?! Can you recognize your nonsense here?!

We are to love one another .    the problem is most people got no idea what love really is .     Love corrects , love points to ONLY CHRIST .  It rejoices in TRUTH .

You said some things that ought not have been said .     You the one who said what you did about a contrite heart etc .  YET GOD desires that broken and contrite heart .

Yall learning a wrong way to evangelize .   See I do believe you against ecumenicalism.    You just don't realize the first step into it .

I am just trying to help .   We got to keep the entire pattern JESUS taught , and the apostels taught .  And the apostels made no bones about Getting the gopsle out .

They put some  seriousness behind it . this we don't approach them ,  no , that Is rick warren one o one .    Has anyone else noticed

today seems like some of the most wicked ones or lost ones in leadership are going huge on this love them .  YET what has happened .   The churches got worse .

WE are to love ,  BUT LOVE does all to correct , to rebuke , to warn , to instruct , to point to Christ .

Now what you said ,   don't do that .  I don't know where you learned it but its not the right way .    We got to get serious about that gospel .

GO out and tell all, tell a muslim ,   NO  , say NO JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY .   Go out and make that gospel forefront .  NOW THATS LOVE .

This go and make friends and don't approach about Christ , now that is rick warren ONE o ONE .  Its true he might be proud of this , BUT ITS NOT THE GOSPEL

Folks gotta unlearn a lot of what was taught In these modern day churches .    Gotta pick up bibles and get that pattern engrained .

You said several things that ought not have been said .  But I do understand , I aint condemning ,  I am trying to help .

Thing is , we gotta pick up them bibles , fresh and new again .  Start rereading HOW JESUS was .    Start being refreshed in how they were in acts .

I aint talking about just small parts that some teach and overlook the rest .  Heck that makes even the small parts wrong .

Learn the overall.     I think you are neither dumb or an enemy , but I do see a serious problem , yet one that can be fixed so fast .

it don't matter how often we read that bible ,  Lets pick it back up again and let the entire pattern just wash over us .    IT wont take long either . 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

We are to love one another .    the problem is most people got no idea what love really is .     Love corrects , love points to ONLY CHRIST .  It rejoices in TRUTH .

You said some things that ought not have been said .     You the one who said what you did about a contrite heart etc .  YET GOD desires that broken and contrite heart .

Yall learning a wrong way to evangelize .   See I do believe you against ecumenicalism.    You just don't realize the first step into it .

I am just trying to help .   We got to keep the entire pattern JESUS taught , and the apostels taught .  And the apostels made no bones about Getting the gopsle out .

They put some  seriousness behind it . this we don't approach them ,  no , that Is rick warren one o one .    Has anyone else noticed

today seems like some of the most wicked ones or lost ones in leadership are going huge on this love them .  YET what has happened .   The churches got worse .

WE are to love ,  BUT LOVE does all to correct , to rebuke , to warn , to instruct , to point to Christ .

Now what you said ,   don't do that .  I don't know where you learned it but its not the right way .    We got to get serious about that gospel .

GO out and tell all, tell a muslim ,   NO  , say NO JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY .   Go out and make that gospel forefront .  NOW THATS LOVE .

This go and make friends and don't approach about Christ , now that is rick warren ONE o ONE .  Its true he might be proud of this , BUT ITS NOT THE GOSPEL

Folks gotta unlearn a lot of what was taught In these modern day churches .    Gotta pick up bibles and get that pattern engrained .

You said several things that ought not have been said .  But I do understand , I aint condemning ,  I am trying to help .

Thing is , we gotta pick up them bibles , fresh and new again .  Start rereading HOW JESUS was .    Start being refreshed in how they were in acts .

I aint talking about just small parts that some teach and overlook the rest .  Heck that makes even the small parts wrong .

Learn the overall.     I think you are neither dumb or an enemy , but I do see a serious problem , yet one that can be fixed so fast .

it don't matter how often we read that bible ,  Lets pick it back up again and let the entire pattern just wash over us .    IT wont take long either . 

Jesus taught that the Pharisees would strain at a gnat yet swallow the camel. Similar spirit is lingering in you.

It is evident because of your lack of response to the teaching of Jesus that I shared in my previous post. You are saying things that sound good on the surface like, "we must point people to Jesus", "focus on the gospel" etc. etc. Yet, on closer examination, your replies are full of all fluff and no action.

I'll restate the teaching that I shared previously. Luke 14:33," Whosoever does not forsake all that they have, CANNOT be my disciple". Here is a clear teaching that we must teach and practice if we want to point people to Jesus. After all, this is what we are suppose to be doing, right? Point people to our Lord Jesus?

John 6:63, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

I just quoted you words from Jesus. His words are our spirit. Are you willing to soak up the spirit of Jesus by following, obeying, and teaching this command from our Lord Jesus?

If not, leave all the 'fluff' and arguments on the road to hell. As the saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

In peace

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, UnprofitableServantJames said:

Jesus taught that the Pharisees would strain at a gnat yet swallow the camel. Similar spirit is lingering in you.

It is evident because of your lack of response to the teaching of Jesus that I shared in my previous post. You are saying things that sound good on the surface like, "we must point people to Jesus", "focus on the gospel" etc. etc. Yet, on closer examination, your replies are full of all fluff and no action.

I'll restate the teaching that I shared previously. Luke 14:33," Whosoever does not forsake all that they have, CANNOT be my disciple". Here is a clear teaching that we must teach and practice if we want to point people to Jesus. After all, this is what we are suppose to be doing, right? Point people to our Lord Jesus?

John 6:63, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

I just quoted you words from Jesus. His words are our spirit. Are you willing to soak up the spirit of Jesus by following, obeying, and teaching this command from our Lord Jesus?

If not, leave all the 'fluff' and arguments on the road to hell. As the saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

In peace

The obvious question here is—— have YOU forsaken everything to be a good example as to what Christianity is supposed to be about ? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

The obvious question here is—— have YOU forsaken everything to be a good example as to what Christianity is supposed to be about ? 

Fair question.

Answer: Yes

Though even if you find fault in me (which was the point of asking the question), I am not the example - Jesus is.

Now the next obvious question: Will YOU forsake all to be a good example of what Christianity is all about?

In peace