Why Do Christians Fast

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

So maybe it is because of all of overeating during the holidays, but now that normal life has set back in I am considering a fast. My question is what in your perspective is the purpose of fasting.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Fasting to lose weight is a form of dieting. That could be a very good idea - but it isn't a specifically Christian reason for fasting.

Christians usually fast when wanting to get closer to God for some reason - maybe when praying about a major issue, or when engaging in spiritual warfare. In Acts 13:1, we read how the church in Antioch fasted when trying to discern God's will for them.

Fasting is a form of spiritual discipline. It intensifies our prayers, and indicates that we're utterly serious about what we're praying for.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

Isaiah  58 is a very relevant reference when seeking to understand what He expects from a fast.

Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?

Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.

Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.

“If you take away the yoke from your midst,
The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,

If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your darkness shall be as the noonday.

There is more so I recommend reading the whole chapter, the preceding verses outline the WRONG attitudes toward fasting which He will not respect.

My own relationship to fasting changed when I noticed (had my attention DRAWN TO :) ) some time ago that Jesus seemed to EXPECT fasting to be a familiar part of His disciple's lives.

“Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

“But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,

In both of those verses Jesus said "when" you fast, not "if" you fast and when that was pointed out I just knew He was calling me to a fast.  I suspect fasting is a neglected discipline, particularly in the modern western  church.

But, this  is one of those things that  is in scripture, but we're not given a precise commandment, a list of "fasting rules" to follow so IMO this falls into that category  of

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

I have a personal opinion you  can take or leave.  This is from my own experience and I can't prove it from the Bible.  But, it *SEEMS* to me that a decision to fast lays hold of one of the  most powerful "lusts of the  flesh" and DEMANDS it submit to the  will.  It's an exercise in who  is in control of my  life...flesh or spirit?

My soul WANTS to respond to that hunger and eat.  With His empowerment I tell it NO!  And that seems to be something He works with  to break off other "bondage" to the  flesh.

We have to live with this fallen meat sack until we get our new bodies.  It has lusts and desires that are always  working  against the Spirit  in our  lives.  He seems to honor (and empower) a choice  on our part to take that in hand and "discipline" it.

My  two  cents....

With that said, I don't have a regular schedule or set time of fasting.  I fast when I  feel the Spirit prompting me to.  I suspect for some it can become a "religious" thing...a legalistic flesh thing  trying to "earn" righteousness.  That won't impress Him at all I don't think.

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Fasting is to humble ourselves before God to do His will and receive His will for us.  We can't twist God's arm to do our will.  It is not a hunger strike.  There have been times that prayer was so intense for others that I could not eat or sleep.  One that I distinctly remember was when interceding for Kwikfilly's safety when she was diving in the path of a hurricane and had no place to sleep.  When she found a motel she was still directly in its path.  

• Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On 1/25/2019 at 2:11 AM, jdwbs said:

So maybe it is because of all of overeating during the holidays, but now that normal life has set back in I am considering a fast. My question is what in your perspective is the purpose of fasting.  

sorrow and discipline, but read isaiah on fasting

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

22 minutes ago, noblenut said:

sorrow and discipline, but read isaiah on fasting

Yeah, Isa 58

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

I have generally seen a fast as a way of keeping my focus and attention on specific issues I am petitioning the Lord for.  I never let anyone in on when I am in a period of fasting.  That is between me and the Lord.  Many times, I have done what would be considered a partial fast..... where I fast during the day and then eat a light meal in the evening after 6 p.m. Those I reserve for lengthy periods where I know that I need to stay focused and in frequent daily prayer for many, many days, even weeks.  I cannot allow myself to become weak during those lengthy periods, since it could endanger me and others because of my earthly job.   I own and operate a commercial semi truck.  It is great in that as those miles go by, I can have long periods of prayer and focus.  But I cannot totally negate any food for a lengthy period lest my focus on safety on the road becomes compromised.  Hence I find the daytime fast to work best for me for lengthy periods.

Never is fasting about earning something or scoring points with the Lord.  Fasting does have a place in the life of the believer.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 1/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, jdwbs said:

Fasting is to deny the flesh and get closer to God, fasting without spirituality is dieting.