Is speaking in tongues real or made up

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

I often read about speaking in an unknow language known as tongues I have heard it many times and it seems to sound pretty much the same with everyone. 

I do not know if it's real I wish I could record it because it should be in a dialect from an earthly language.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Have  you read 1st Corinthians Chapters 12 - 14?  That's one of the most detailed treatments of the subject you'll find.  It explains the reality, nature and administration of all the gifts of the Spirit.  If you read that prayerfully and ask the Teacher to enlighten it for you He'll explain it :)  The gift of tongues gets more than it's share of attention because evidently misuse of it was causing issues in the church at Corinth.  I think it still may be in a lot of cases in our day :).  But it's real enough.

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

4 hours ago, backontrack said:

I often read about speaking in an unknow language known as tongues I have heard it many times and it seems to sound pretty much the same with everyone. 

I do not know if it's real I wish I could record it because it should be in a dialect from an earthly language.

Is it real? It can be - there are instances where a tongue has been recognised by a native speaker of that language.

However, these days there are so many people who have been "taught" to speak in tongues, and I suspect that this isn't the same thing as the spiritual gift. 'Tongues' can also be faked.

Many years ago, John Sherrill did an experiment (recorded in his book 'They speak with other tongues') : he recorded several people speaking in tongues and played the tape to a group of linguists. None of the languages were recognised (not surprising, since there are thousands of languages in existence and between them they only knew a dozen or two) - but the experts could tell the difference between the genuine tongues and the tongue that had been (deliberately) faked.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213

8 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

Is it real? It can be - there are instances where a tongue has been recognised by a native speaker of that language.

However, these days there are so many people who have been "taught" to speak in tongues, and I suspect that this isn't the same thing as the spiritual gift. 'Tongues' can also be faked.

Many years ago, John Sherrill did an experiment (recorded in his book 'They speak with other tongues') : he recorded several people speaking in tongues and played the tape to a group of linguists. None of the languages were recognised (not surprising, since there are thousands of languages in existence and between them they only knew a dozen or two) - but the experts could tell the difference between the genuine tongues and the tongue that had been (deliberately) faked.

One reason I asked, Acts 2 says they all heard there own language as the 12 were filled with the holy ghost so when people are speaking someone must hear it in their language. Just me thinking, usually someone interrupts but most times they do not understand the language. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

1 hour ago, backontrack said:

One reason I asked, Acts 2 says they all heard there own language as the 12 were filled with the holy ghost so when people are speaking someone must hear it in their language. Just me thinking, usually someone interrupts but most times they do not understand the language. 

I don't think there's any 'must' about it. Otherwise, why would the gift of interpretation be needed?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341

On 1/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, backontrack said:

tongues are other languages. if u want to speak in tongues study a language, some people have a gift for this and pick up other languages easily, its is not gibberish as some churches promote

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the kind of tongues that are used in public places should be languages that the people there can understand or someone to interpret so that everyone can understand.    However there are prayer tongues that are the tongues of angels as I understand it that is directed to the Lord and interpretation isn't necessary....   in my experience it comes when I'm really frustrated about what to and how to pray for something.....   or in some cases of interceding prayer over something I really don't need to know about. 

I think some churches abuse tongues as the church in Corinth was doing in the first century.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/04/1955

Here are my thoughts and experiences with 'tongues" as far as observation...I was at a Perry Stone service. He was on stage right before the program was to begin, almost hidden behind the curtain. An elderly couple was on the first row, nearby.  They had brought a recording device that night.  They noticed he was praying and turned on their recorder to make sure that it was working right.  Perry's voice was just loud enough for it to be picked up.  Suddenly, Perry's prayer took a different pitch and tone and he went into what we  call private prayer tongues...where our spirit is so grieved and concerned that we are at loss of words and the Holy Spirit takes over our groanings and moanings and takes them directly to the throne room of GOD!  The couple didn't think anything of it at first and after Perry's prayer, they turned the machine off and later, recorded the rest of the service.  A few days later, they took the recording to a friend who just happened to be a language professor.  The professor got very excited when the couple started playing the initial prayer that Perry had spoken. "Where did you get this? Who is this person speaking?" The professor told them it was a very ancient language, not spoken in today's world. It preceeded the Tower of Babel!  He was able to interpret the prayer and it was a salutation about giving blessings and pouring out His spirit and more.  This makes me think that private prayer tongues is indeed used to confuse satan..because GOD made everything "GOOD" initially.  We know the story of the Tower of Babel...where the confusion of languages took place and it divided the peoples.  I believe that what a true CHRIST follower utters when praying in the SPIRIT is the pure, unadulterated language originally spoken by Adam and Eve and their offsprings pre-tower of Bable.  I have heard this language spoken by all races and cultures as they privately prayed in the spirit and it does sound the same.  I've attended pentacostal revivals and heard the same utterances..There is no way that all of these peoples got together and practiced speaking this HOLY Induced language!

Edited by JC4me
mispelling

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom backontrack

I think the gift does still exist but, personally, I think there is a lot of fake tongues out there (although the speaker maybe blissfully unaware). 

When I sought the gift I was advised by several people to just move my mouth and make sounds and eventually I will "find" my language. I don't believe this is how it works though. The gift is mainly for edification of the church for praise to Yah. Sounds that repeat, sound complicated in structure and have multiple syllables for each and every word, seems suspicious for me and manmade. 

Consider this as well. There is no miracle or act of God recorded and readily available on video (at least from reputable sources and from what I know). Almost as if God doesn't want his acts to be captured, studied and dissected. Yet, when it comes to babbling tongues, this is readily available in many videos (Christian teachings and youtube). Does God allow this phenomenon to be captured so much (which makes Christians look crazy to non-believers) or are these people using a developed skill only?

I have heard of those with the true gift though and even met them. They go to speak and another language comes out of their mouth - only to be identified by another person moments after. Praise Yahweh. 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I made a comment here...

but...

I'm going to research the topic some more before I make it.

Edited by Stu of Whoville