• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Hi guys,

Hope your new week has started out okay. 

So. I was wondering what do you find interesting or even unique about the book of Ruth.

I love the dedication that she showed to her Mother In Law, and seeing how she remained faithful to Naomi,  even after her husband had died. 

There are so many things that come to mind or stand out.

I would love to read your thoughts. 

God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

5 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

The story of Ruth takes us back over three thousand years, into a society without machinery, social security, schools or supermarkets. This is a society where there is no employment other than farming, and where a poor harvest (or the death of the family breadwinner) means that starvation is staring you in the face. In such an environment, romance takes second place to financial security.

It’s also a society in which the reality of God’s existence is always assumed – and acknowledged – whatever your situation and feelings. One day Naomi is praying for her daughters-in-law; the next she is railing bitterly at the God who has bereaved her of her husband and children. Boaz greets his employees with a blessing; and they respond in a similar manner. Is this what it is like to “pray continually” (I Thessalonians 5:17)? It isn’t just talk, either (James 2:15,16). After praying for God’s blessing on Ruth, Boaz takes action to ensure that she can get enough food to live on. And when Naomi realises that Boaz is not going to make the first move, she works out a strategy to enable Ruth to propose to him!

There are no miracles here – but nevertheless the reader can see that God is at work, through the choices and actions of ordinary people (which is how He does things 99.9% of the time). Ruth leaves her home and culture in order to support her impoverished mother-in-law (and if that isn’t selfless love, what is?). Boaz is required by law to leave the margins of his field unreaped, to feed the local ‘underclass’; but he actually gives away far more than the bare minimum. Both of them – eventually – receive back far more than they give, in their marriage and in their son (who turns out to have a vital place in the genealogy of the Messiah).

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on the book of Ruth.

I appreciate you taking time to share.  I do agree with you that in this story we do see the hand of God involved in their lives. 

It is such a pleasure to have the book of Ruth to read, especially after reading Judges, and seeing that there were many people at that time,  living for themselves and what seemed right to them. It is a great encouragement that not everyone chose to do what was wrong. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

It       HI Annette hope your Monday was great. I started in a new area at work. I don't know if I like it yet.                             I always loved the story of Ruth. She was faithful to Naomi. Maybe because she knew Naomi was a upright women of God. She said your God will be my God. 

She must have loved Naomi very much. But must have heard of the promises to Israel. After all that was a Godly family and household. Ruth was being led to the God of Israel. She had faith in God. 

Little did she know she was being called to bring forth children that would be king of Israel.  And even greater  the Christ himself.  

I also love Boaz. He was a faithful servant of God. I bet he was waiting for a wife God promise him. He was unmarried but was a owner of a farm fields and livestock. He was a man of faith like Abraham.  

God bless the world through Ruth.             

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

the book of ruth is Gods romance novel, its about a righteous woman falling in love with a rightoues man 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, turtletwo said:

@Annette :) The book of Ruth is one of my favorites, too. It has an interesting combination of characters.

Ruth is devoted and selfless. Unlike many so young, she chooses to put her mother-in-law's happiness over her own. She could've stayed behind and remarried. She even turns away from worshiping the idol of her land and embraces the true God of Israel. In v 3:5 she is shown to be obedient to Naomi. "And she said to her, “All that you say to me I will do.”

Naomi is clever. She senses Boaz is drawn to Ruth by the way he keeps seeing to it she is eating well and protecting her. Boaz gives her special treatment and tells her he wants her to stay nearby in his personal fields. In  2:8 Naomi explains to Ruth: "Now Boaz, whose young women you were with, is he not our relative? In fact, he is winnowing barley tonight at the threshing floor. Therefore wash yourself and anoint yourself, put on your best garment and go down to the threshing floor..." Ruth 3:2-3 For Naomi knows Jewish law obligates wealthy, kind Boaz to marry her.

Boaz is bighearted. He treats his servants fairly and is especially generous with Ruth and Naomi...looking after these two widows. 

Best of all, Boaz can be seen as a Messianic foreshadow!

He is a type of Christ in several ways. Boaz is from the tribe of Judah and of the town of Bethlehem which points ahead to Jesus. ( Boaz, David and finally Jesus, fulfilling the Micah 5:2 prophecy.)

He is the redeemer...the one who can rescue Ruth from her plight as an outcast (heathen) in Israel. She will find safety under his covering "Take your maidservant under your wing, for you are a close relative.” Or "Spread the corner of your garment over your maidservant" (3:9)

All of us were outcasts lost in our desperate spiritual condition. Like Ruth, we found hope in the Savior who mercifully received us as His own. 
The Church is His beloved Bride. Another parallel of Jesus and believers with Boaz and Ruth. Praise God.:emot-heartbeat:

Isnt it also amazing how josephs wife was gentile .   So was at one time  she a gentile .,     Shows a foreshadow of gentiles being grafted into the vine by the husband .   JESUS

the savoir , husband ,  of all who do believe .   Gentiles grafted in through the bridegroom .     Just tiny nuggets .   I mean some folks say jews never married a gentile .  One of the twelve , joseph did .   And apparently this girl had been married to a jew too .   then later after his death , married boaz.

From which sprang King david,  and according to that tribe and lineage , came forth THE TRUE KING .   

Put those hands up dear sister ,  and lets turn this place into a PRAISE THE LORD FEST . 

Edited by frienduff thaylorde
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

For me it's how God is working in ways and through people we write off.

No one in the Jewish faith would have looked at her as acceptable because she wasn't "one of us" yet there is God showing us that He is at work where we least expect it. King David's ancestor?!?!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

I love the book of Ruth....from my gleanings I believe it was written down as a kind of living parable depicting the mostly Gentile church and Israel.  As a wife I know that love for husband also gives one a love and connection for his family....Ruth's love for her mother-in-law (Israel) sprang from her love for her Husband, who died (Jesus), and the story is set in a time of harvest.  The church in union with Christ (Boaz) will give birth (during her travail/sorrows/tribulation/threshing floor) and restore the Son to Israel.

Mic 5:3

Therefore will he give them up, until the time that she which travaileth hath brought forth: then the remnant of his brethren shall return unto the children of Israel.

Rom 11:31-32

Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The story of Boez being Ruth's near kinsman redeemer is what is most meaningful to me.  It is a type of Christ being our near kinsman Redeemer.

Question: "What is a kinsman redeemer?" (Got Questions)

Answer: 
The kinsman-redeemer is a male relative who, according to various laws of the Pentateuch, had the privilege or responsibility to act on behalf of a relative who was in trouble, danger, or need. The Hebrew term (go el) for kinsman-redeemer designates one who delivers or rescues (Genesis 48:16; Exodus 6:6) or redeems property or person (Leviticus 27:9–25, 25:47–55). The kinsman who redeems or vindicates a relative is illustrated most clearly in the book of Ruth, where the kinsman-redeemer is Boaz. 

The story of Ruth and Boaz begins when Ruth and her mother-in-law, Naomi, return to Bethlehem from Moab where they had been living. Naomi’s husband and both sons, one the husband of Ruth, had died, leaving the women penniless and without a male protector. Upon arriving in Bethlehem, Naomi sends Ruth to glean in the fields of Boaz, a wealthy relative of Naomi to whom they, through a series of divinely appointed circumstances, appeal as their go el. Boaz acquiesces, willingly takes Ruth as his wife, and together they bear a son named Obed who became the grandfather of David, the forefather of Jesus.

Yahweh is Israel’s Redeemer, the one who promises to defend and vindicate them. He is both Father and Deliverer (Exodus 20:2). There are numerous Old Testament appeals to God as rescuer of the weak and needy (Psalm 82:4; Daniel 6:27; Jeremiah 20:13) and preserver of the sheep of Israel (Ezekiel 34:10–12, 22).

In the New Testament, Christ is often regarded as an example of a kinsman-redeemer because, as our brother (Hebrews 2:11), He also redeems us because of our great need, one that only He can satisfy. In Ruth 3:9, we see a beautiful and poignant picture of the needy supplicant, unable to rescue herself, requesting of the kinsman-redeemer that he cover her with his protection, redeem her, and make her his wife. In the same way, the Lord Jesus Christ bought us for Himself, out of the curse, out of our destitution; made us His own beloved bride; and blessed us for all generations. He is the true kinsman-redeemer of all who call on Him in faith.

• Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 2