• Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Ljsitzer said:

Hello,  

My name is LJ.  I live in a small community. 

Hi Ljsitzer,

Welcome to the Worthy family. Hope and pray you can find some special friends here. Now as to your question, well my thoughts are that you keep doing what God has showed you, and not to be concerned with measuring what others are doing by numbers on seats.

We do not know what God is doing through the other people in their daily life, talking and relating and helping others. Only God knows. Do you mix with any of the other people? Do you invite them for coffee, etc and learn of their lives? maybe start there and be an encouragement to them.

praying Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

22 minutes ago, Ljsitzer said:

I've prayed about this for a while now.

Do you feel you have gotten an answer to your prayer one way or the other?  One suggestion I might have, is if you are interested in supporting outreach ministries, there are options to do that through other means than your local church.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/28/1966

Yes I have become quite good friends with many of the members.  I do pray often about this.  I don't want to leave, but I'm very discouraged.  Out of the whole congregation, maybe 10 are actively doing something.  Even then, there isn't a feeling of Spirit led purpose or direction

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  64

Welcome to Worthy!

• Followers:  30

40 minutes ago, Ljsitzer said:

Yes I have become quite good friends with many of the members.  I do pray often about this.  I don't want to leave, but I'm very discouraged.  Out of the whole congregation, maybe 10 are actively doing something.  Even then, there isn't a feeling of Spirit led purpose or direction

Hi Ljsitzer,

That`s good developing friendships. Now I do feel you are looking for outward programs or something so you can say, "There, we are doing something to bring people to the service."  We need to remember that God is working in people`s lives and programs are more about making us feel better, as not guilty, etc. And that is not of the Lord.  

We are not to be driven by our expectations, but drawn to the Lord and walk with Him. It is God`s responsibility to work with other people. So, ask the Lord to let you see what He is doing in others lives and rejoice that He is doing a good work.

Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/28/1966

You are right.  I do put a lot of expectations on visible signs and results.  I pray that my critical spirit will be removed and that I can take joy in the work that I don't see outwardly.  Thanks for that

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  30

30 minutes ago, Ljsitzer said:

You are right.  I do put a lot of expectations on visible signs and results.  I pray that my critical spirit will be removed and that I can take joy in the work that I don't see outwardly.  Thanks for that

That`s great Ljsitzer, I too am an organiser and have had to learn to let go and see what God would have me do. I`ll be praying for you as you work through this important step. For once you let go of organising for God, then God will show you more of what He has for you, in this next stage of your life.

Praying, Marilyn.

• Loved it! 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

3 hours ago, Ljsitzer said:

I don't want to leave, but I'm very discouraged.

Unfortunately most churches work on this set up where a small band do nearly everything and the rest sit on chairs.

Have you talked with the minister and any church elders about the lack of vision for evangelism.

There is an old illustration:- A painter was asked to paint a picture of a dead church.

The day for unveiling it arrived and there was great expectation, what would it be like.

But people where shocked at the painting, it showed a lovely building with full pews. 

How was this church dead?

The artist merely pointed to the missionary collection box covered in cobwebs.

A nice sermon illistration, the reality is if the church is not prepared to support missionaries at home and abroad with real giving of time ad money.

Then find another church. Do explain to the minister and thee congregation why.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

4 hours ago, Ljsitzer said:

I do too.  I am troubled by many things.  The "alter call"  never has a response.  No one ever goes up to pray.  The praise leader doesn't choose music related to the sermon or invitation.  She doesn't plan anything further than a week away.  Christmas music last year was very nearly spur of the moment and one week only of Christmas hymns etc.  She hates hymns.  She says that she grew up with judgy old women who only liked hymns.  My invitation to not suggest any from then on... She only likes contemporary music (many 15 in varying order from week to week) I'm so frustrated.  We joined hoping to help a small church that had a dynamic young pastor and then he left.  I got plugged into serving wherever I could and have made friends, but after almost two years, I don't feel as though it is effective as it could be.  There have been no salvations, no baptisms, no new members.....

I really love the old hymns....not only are they beautiful but they teach so much about God, proper doctrine, walking with Jesus, etc, from Scripture.    A person new to the faith can be helped  alot by hearing/singing hymns.    It would be ideal if the service would include a hymn or two in addition to the contemporary songs.   I wonder if you might privately talk to the pastor about this?  There are probably others that would like at least a hymn or two in the service. 

Also, if your church doesn't have much of a budget for international missions, there are organizations such as Christian Aid Mission where your church could support a native missionary for as little as $50 a month.   Orphans can be helped for even $20 a month.   Perhaps you can all get together and choose a country of interest?   You can ask for literature about various missions in countries of interest....besides evangelism, there is everything from helping lepers and orphans to assisting former Muslims escaping with their lives.   Perhaps the congregation doesn't know about these things and upon learning might be interested in them?    Anyhow just some thoughts....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,381
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

2 hours ago, Who me said:

Unfortunately most churches work on this set up where a small band do nearly everything and the rest sit on chairs.

Have you talked with the minister and any church elders about the lack of vision for evangelism.

I have to agree with this. Talking to the leaders in the church is something you should do in addition to praying.

• Thumbs Up 2