• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  517
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  1,289
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1989

Are you for or against commercializing water,oil, handkerchief, prophetic ministries etc. The only church I found here is just what am talking about. I tried to look for a bible believing church here but could only find such a church. The church the emphasize more on prophesy, healing, miracle money, miracle job, easy life etc. I have a different doctrine.

MUH PLAVIOUS 

Edited by plavious
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

The Christian Life is not always easy....we need to keep looking to the Lord to get us through hard times.   A good church should explain there are both sides to being a Christian.

Also, a pastor should not sell spiritual things....these things should be given freely to all from the goodness of a pastor's heart.   I have heard some churches in Africa are as you have described.    It's not good....God can sometimes prosper us but sometimes we do go through trials.   But He helps us through the trials.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,397
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Acts 18:13-24 addresses something very close to this and speaks of a man who thought he could buy the power of God and use it himself. That seems a good indicator that we should be against commercializing things.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Greetings Brother Plavious,  Couldn't resist the salutation (sounds very Biblical with your name!)

Anyway, One look at Biblical accounts of prophets "judging" the church leaders by telling them they are not obeying God properly tells me that church leaders have ALWAYS turned away from God and done things for themselves instead of God. It is just in our nature. Once someone (or group of people) is given power/authority over a group of people (no matter how small), that power engulfs them. Do you ever see a church admit to and change their doctrine? It is very rare, and when it is done, it is NOT done for the better. They would lose a lot of patrons and their money. They would lose the respect of the patrons - if an error is admitted, then what else is not true? They are stuck and almost forced to stay on the track that got them there. Likewise, it is a miracle when someone leaves a different religion or denomination for the true gospel of faith and obedience to Jesus. Something that generally only happens after intense and deliberate study of the Bible.

That said, an old fashioned Bible church is quite hard to find in most cities. I live in an area with 100's of churches within 50 miles of me but cannot find one that is not inundated with at least one or two false doctrines. I have to settle for the best I can find and realize that they will NOT change or correct an error that has already been accepted. We are each responsible for our own salvation. The sluggard will rely on the church to save them. 

• Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Hi Plavius,

let me tell you a different story. A church is so important to socialize with other Christians.

Look, I have money problems in a sense that I, thanks to God, have enough to cover basic needs... but I can't afford anything beyond that.

But a church is a perfect place to meet friends without having to pay anything. At least here in Germany. They sometimes go eat out somewhere or take money for church dinner, this is what I can't afford. But most of it is for free and I praise God that I have enough fellow Christians to meet. 

I have plenty of opportunities to collaborate there, too. Where in the world could you go meet people and not pay anything?

The Bible is clear: the first church was strong and they had a strong sense of community (Acts 2:42).

The Bible is also very clear that you even can get ill, if you don't realize what the great gift of fellowshipping with others is like.

This is at least my interpretation of 1 Cor 11:29 and 30.

[...] not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

(The Lord's body is a figure of speech meaning the entirety of Christians, as explained in Colossians 1:24, as you may know.)

Another example: Some Christians, including myself, have the "Christmas Problem": due to the fact that they don't have any contact with their (biological) family members, they don't know where to go on Christmas. But in church, there are always some people having the same problem. You meet with them and and praise the Lord.

But I'm with you when you tell that selling prophecies is wrong:

On 2/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, AnOrangeCat said:

Acts 18:13-24 addresses something very close to this and speaks of a man who thought he could buy the power of God and use it himself. That seems a good indicator that we should be against commercializing things.

Amen Cat, very good point. But I'm sure you mean Acts 8:13-24.

Regards,

Thomas

Edited by thomas t
two spelling mistakes
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus overturned the tables of the moneychangers who were ripping off the people.  We know He isn't pleased with those who use the Gospel as a means of gain.  But where there is little choice, we have to remember that no church is perfect and all will have some false doctrine.  We must choose the one that is not explicitly encouraging sin.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  517
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  1,289
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Birthday:  08/10/1989

22 minutes ago, Who me said:

Then ask questions of the minister, remind them of what Jesus said about worshipping in 'spirit and in truth'.

Did Jesus promise fine homes and good clothes to those who followed him, or did he say that foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of God has nowhere to lay his head.

Are they grater ten their master?

Isaiah 43:2. Clearly indicate that we will go through difficult time but he said he will go with us. Obviously christian life is not all about milk and honey  but with temptation and trials.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, Willa said:

Jesus overturned the tables of the moneychangers who were ripping off the people.  We know He isn't pleased with those who use the Gospel as a means of gain.  But where there is little choice, we have to remember that no church is perfect and all will have some false doctrine.  We must choose the one that is not explicitly encouraging sin.  

Did Jesus say to be perfect, or not ?

(realize 'perfect' in Scripture does not mean "perfect" in English as usually defined or thought of).

There are perfect assemblies around the world, even a few in the USA.  They hold to no false doctrine.  There always is a choice.

As God's Word Says,  "Seek,  and keep seeking....."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1