• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Hi guys,

Hope this is a good week for you. We woke up to ice layered on the branches of the trees, it looked beautiful.  I was glad it wasn't that icy where I had to go, to get the girls to school. 

Back to the this post...

I am sure we can all think of very big differences between David and Saul. It would be interesting to read about what differences stand out to you between David and Saul.

What I did wonder about,  was,  what SIMILARITIES you may have noticed between them,  even if it is only for a little while. 

I do love that we can learn so much about putting our trust in God when we read about characters like David. But, I am also grateful to read about the likes of Saul,  who made mistakes, and learn from them. 

Look forward to reading your thoughts. 

God bless.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Similarities are tough. They both were kings and faulted with pride. David of coarse repented but Saul made excuses. Saul went mad in a sense to keep power by trying to kill David. David knowing he was anointed was patient and didn't take the opportunity to kill Saul when it was in his hand. It's a type of the madness of Satan even knowing he cannot win still thinks he can win by going after the Jews and the church to maintain power in this world. 

Don't think I've thought much about similarities, it will be interesting to hear what others see.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  772
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07

There is a similarity between them, when David wanted a man's wife he made a plot to kill that man by sending him to battle and left him to be killed, they both legalize all means to kill those who they deemed as obstacles. Its good that David repented. Saul didnt repent and he didnt have time forever, died in suicide after wounded in battle.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,904
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Saul and David were both anointed to be king by the prophet Samuel.

1Sa 9:27 And as they were going down to the end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Bid the servant pass on before us, (and he passed on,) but stand you still a while, that I may show you the word of God.
1Sa 10:1 Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD has anointed you to be captain over his inheritance?

1Sa 16:1 And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long will you mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill your horn with oil, and go, I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
1Sa 16:12-13 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he. Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

Shalom Annette,

I suppose a similarity between David and Saul was at the beginning of their anointing. 

Saul seems like a reluctant King at first. He hid from the coronation to kingship in front of Israel - they had to even search for him!  He was humble at the start of his reign yet brave in war and fighting for Yahweh, like David. 

Perhaps that is a lesson for all of us in that... The anointing was a gift from Yahweh - neither Saul or David deserved it.  Yet the difference between them was obedience.  Now, David respected Saul as anointed despite his "falling away".  In the same way we, after receiving the truth and Spirit, can become a Saul or a David.  And, if we do become a David, we shouldn't speak ill or treat weaker brothers and sisters unkindly.  The evilness of backbiting and gossiping cannot be underestimated. How much more so id we do it about other believers :( 

Love & Shalom