IGNORED

Who can use proof of Jesus' resurrection?

Haррy Felix

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Most of us are believers in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, aren't we? Do we need proof of his resurrection, the core of our Christian faith? We hope not but it sure couldn't hurt to have our faith confirmed by facts so now and then. Real proof of the essence of our faith is problematic, so I tend to be happy with strong indications that we are right with what constitutes the core of our living. Call it weakness of my faith if you like. But I'm sure I don't alone in this. We look at the good in people and the beauty in nature. But sometimes there is something stronger...

I am reading the works of the late Pinchas Lapide, a Jewish theologist and diplomat who was a follower of Jesus Christ. He focused on Jesus' Jewish roots and tries to bridge the gap between Christianity and the Jewish tradition.
The first book I read is The Resurrection of Jesus: A Jewish Perspective. After an analysis of raising from the dead in Jewish tradition Lapide turns to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. He describes the fears of Jesus' followers after his earthly death. Their master had undergone the extremely cruel fate of Jewish rebels. And they were afraid to undergo the same fate. Therefore they fled and went into hiding. Lapide asks how it is possible that these simple frightened and disappointed would-be followers formed the basis of a world religion against all odds and threats. "The apostles' answer is short and simple: Jesus' resurrection from the dead."

Alleluia, Lord! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

There's a famous testimony that's similar to this commentary.

Are you familiar with Chuck Colson, President Richard Nixon's "hatchet man" in the early '70's?

When he went to prison because of Watergate/obstruction of justice, he had a Gideon Bible in his cell.  He read it.  He was astounded at the apostles for whom, no matter what dangers they faced for being apostles, "never changed their stories" as he put it.

He said that he understood that kind of loyalty to someone and ergo, "the Bible must be true".  He became a devout Christian and when he finished his brief prison term, he started a prison MINISTRY that continued for decades and still does even after his death.  Thousands and thousands of men and women in prison have given their lives to Christ because of Colson and his Prison Fellowship.  It's a world-wide ministry.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Great, @Jayne.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We have God's word in the Bible. We do not needed added proof. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Happy Felix makes an excellent point.  I've heard it said that while it is certainly possible for people to voluntarily choose to die for a perceived truth, no sane person would choose to die for a known falsehood. 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 2/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, Happy Felix said:

Do we need proof of his resurrection, the core of our Christian faith? We hope not but it sure couldn't hurt to have our faith confirmed by facts so now and then. Real proof

Depends what you are after.

try the Impossible faith. 17 reasons why one should not believe at http://www.tektonics.org/lp/nowayjose.php

It is written from a Christian viewpoint.

Then there is coldcasechristianity a dectectives view point on christianity see:-https://coldcasechristianity.com/?s=resurrection

for a series of articles etc on the resurrection.

If you prefer well reasoned logical articles then the reasonablefaith web site is for you see these:-

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/search/eyJyZXN1bHRfcGFnZSI6InNlYXJjaCIsImtleXdvcmRzIjoiamVzdXMncyByZXN1cnJlY3Rpb24iLCJzdWJtaXQiOiJTdWJtaXQgU2VhcmNoIn0

The ultimate authority is http://www.garyhabermas.com/

Esentially there is good historical reasons for believing in the resurrection, if someone is challenging it always ask them for there evidence and reasons for questioning whether it happened.

Even atheist historians accept that Jesus lived died by crucifiction and that his tomb was found to be empty. ( They put it that way as otherwise they would have to face the fact and consquences of an actual resurrection! )

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 2/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, missmuffet said:

We have God's word in the Bible. We do not needed added proof.

So the command to always give a reason for your faith is one you ignore.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Who me said:

So the command to always give a reason for your faith is one you ignore.

The command is subject to Yahweh - as when He is Silent,  we should be silent.  WHEN HE SAYS SPEAK,  we speak what HE SAYS.    (not a 'rule' you can pull out of context and try to use to hit someone on the head with, as if to coerce any action or word)

Do not think ahead of time what to say (if you do, it is your words, not HIS).

When , before a judge,  we speak,  it is our Father in heaven speaking;  we have no anxiety , worry nor doubt.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, Happy Felix said:

Most of us are believers in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, aren't we?

No.

Not unless you define "us" as the "few" , the subset, the remnant God chose and set apart for Himself,

"us" here also being all those SET FREE from roman abominations/ false teachings, false doctrines, false gospels, false teachers.

Edited by simplejeff

On 2/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, Happy Felix said:

We look at the good in people and the beauty in nature. But sometimes there is something stronger...

Seek the truth, Yahweh Declares, and keep seeking the truth, (Jesus),  with a view to being a disciple of Jesus in God's Kingdom today, following Jesus only.  ("My sheep hear my voice, and follow Me;  they will not listen to another" ) ....

As written in Scripture, Jesus said "there is none good but God",  and many other ways shows

there is no good in mankind. (society/ people).   Except only in New Creation/ immersed in Jesus/ born again from the Father in Heaven, as written.

• Thanks 1