SavedOnebyGrace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.08
  • Days Won:  0

Question: What's missing from the Apologetic topic?

Answer: Christians apologizing to other Christians and / non-Believers when the situation warrants.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Answer: Christians apologizing to other Christians and / non-Believers when the situation warrants.

Yes, I've heard that Apologists are not required to apologise for defending their beliefs. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The term apologetics is better defined as dissertation. A defense of the faith / systematic theology = why you believe what you believe.

Christian apologetics is no more about apologizing (saying one is sorry) than 

an elephant's trunk is about packing with luggage.

I would agree however there is a need for more contriteness among believers than there is.

But it has nothing at all to do with the term apologetics.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Yes, I've heard that Apologists are not required to apologise for defending their beliefs. 

No one needs to apologize for their own beliefs, logical or not.  But when they attack a person's character, that shows their lack of a legitimate point-of-view attacking the writer, not what's written.  I'm sure most people have fallen into this trap, I know I have.  I regret past actions and hope and will try to do better in the future.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

17 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Perhaps if that was so,  this would lead to many many more errors (as in the past with compromising with evil).

For example, can you show in Scripture (OT or NT)  where Yahweh's messengers ever , under Yahweh's or Yeshua's direction,  apologized the way you're meaning ?

39 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Perhaps if that was so,  this would lead to many many more errors (as in the past with compromising with evil).

Perhaps.  But don't expect me to compromise on God's word.

39 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

For example, can you show in Scripture (OT or NT)  where Yahweh's messengers ever , under Yahweh's or Yeshua's direction,  apologized the way you're meaning ?

And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you, and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.  [Ephesians 5:1-2]

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 2/14/2019 at 5:10 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

What's missing from the Apologetic topic

Grace.

The humbleness that allows another to talk, to listen and seek to understand their viewpoint before, gently showing them they are wrong.

This does not have to be a piledriver smashing them deep into the ground, but it can be a sewing of seeds to think about that will disturb and upset their convictions.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, Who me said:

Grace.

The humbleness that allows another to talk, to listen and seek to understand their viewpoint before, gently showing them they are wrong.

This does not have to be a piledriver smashing them deep into the ground, but it can be a sewing of seeds to think about that will disturb and upset their convictions.

That seems like a very Christian way to talk, listen and seek to understand another's viewpoint.  Jesus, of course, preached another way which wouldn't meet those standards.  I think the Holy Spirit needs to guide one when these openings come up.

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

On 2/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, Who me said:

Grace.

Jesus used the "piledriver" technique when necessary....(e.g., Mt.23).

So, it's ok for us to use the "piledriver" technique when necessary (Lk.6:40;1Jn.2:6).

blessings...